Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Nothing in seat pocket for landing/takeoff - United Express

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K

Something new on a United Express flight today.

During the safety talk, we were told that only paper, magazines and the safety card could be in the seat back pocket during takeoff and landing. Both FAs made numerous checks to verify that no one had anything but these things in the seat pocket. They made the standard announcement that laptops could not be there and specifcally stated things like water bottles, cell phones, iPods and books could not be in the seat pocket during takeoff or landing.

I asked the FA about this after we landed and was told that this was a new FAA rule and that the FAA was cracking down on airlines allowing these things in the seat pocket during takeoffs and landings.

I am waiting to see if this same announcement is made on the second leg of my trip.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like BS to me. Can't put an ipod in the seatback pocked? Yeah right...

Seems like the UX carriers especially enjoy making up FAA regs.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:11 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I haven't heard this before, and sounds like a made-up FA misconception built on the no laptops in the seatbacks rule. The inflight magazine is ok, but not a book?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:20 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Somebody posted the same thing about SW a couple weeks ago

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9792690

Somebody there mentioned they were told that on AA too. Not a clue if it's valid or not, but it's not just UA.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I was on UX on Weds and Thurs this week and they didn't mention it at all. I had my iPod in the pocket each time.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by TA
I haven't heard this before, and sounds like a made-up FA misconception built on the no laptops in the seatbacks rule. The inflight magazine is ok, but not a book?
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Sounds like BS to me. Can't put an ipod in the seatback pocked? Yeah right...

Seems like the UX carriers especially enjoy making up FAA regs.
The FARs are a bunch of big books. You'd be surprised at what's in there.

§ 121.589 Carry-on baggage.
(a) No certificate holder may allow the boarding of carry-on baggage on an airplane unless each passenger's baggage has been scanned to control the size and amount carried on board in accordance with an approved carry-on baggage program in its operations specifications. In addition, no passenger may board an airplane if his/her carry-on baggage exceeds the baggage allowance prescribed in the carry-on baggage program in the certificate holder's operations specifications.

(b) No certificate holder may allow all passenger entry doors of an airplane to be closed in preparation for taxi or pushback unless at least one required crewmember has verified that each article of baggage is stowed in accordance with this section and §121.285 (c) and (d).

(c) No certificate holder may allow an airplane to take off or land unless each article of baggage is stowed:

(1) In a suitable closet or baggage or cargo stowage compartment placarded for its maximum weight and providing proper restraint for all baggage or cargo stowed within, and in a manner that does not hinder the possible use of any emergency equipment; or

(2) As provided in §121.285 (c) and (d); or

(3) Under a passenger seat.

(d) Baggage, other than articles of loose clothing, may not be placed in an overhead rack unless that rack is equipped with approved restraining devices or doors.

(e) Each passenger must comply with instructions given by crewmembers regarding compliance with paragraphs (a), (b), (c), (d), and (g) of this section.

(f) Each passenger seat under which baggage is allowed to be stowed shall be fitted with a means to prevent articles of baggage stowed under it from sliding forward. In addition, each aisle seat shall be fitted with a means to prevent articles of baggage stowed under it from sliding sideward into the aisle under crash impacts severe enough to induce the ultimate inertia forces specified in the emergency landing condition regulations under which the airplane was type certificated.
Basically, the seatback pocket is not an approved storage area for cargo. Yes, cargo is laptops, ipods and water bottles. What it comes down to is that the cargo stored in the pax compartment must be in an approved area that has been tested. The tests tell if the bin will hold in an emergency. The seatback is not tested. So technically, as stupid as it seems, the FAA wants to make sure that your ipod will not cause the seatback to fail in an emergency and potentially injure someone.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat
Originally Posted by McFinn
I asked the FA about this after we landed and was told that this was a new FAA rule and that the FAA was cracking down on airlines allowing these things in the seat pocket during takeoffs and landings.
I have heard this on AA, UA, and CO pretty consistently over the previous year. Notebooks and water bottles can inflict considerable injury when hurled or flung just right. So I for one don't have a problem leaving my things properly secured until advised otherwise and their enforcing other to do the same.

I'd cut the FA some slack: the FAA is out and about and are watching. Who knows: the carrier could very well have received a recent visit.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 5:07 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
The FA on my United Express flight today was also super vigilant about the seat pocket. She told us that a memo had just come out clarifying that nothing except magazines can be in the seat pocket. They are afraid that things will fly out during an emergency. The fine is $1000 per incident. The man in the row ahead of me was very put out and she offered to show him the memo, but he declined.

TF
Old Jun 14, 2008, 5:32 am

In addition to the FAR, I have read numerous posts on FT where folks have left things behind on airplanes, and most of them state they left them in seatback pockets.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 7:17 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I have not heard this on any of my recent UA or UX flights. In fact, in almost all cases my seatmate clipped a blackberry to the seat pocket, and I routinely place a book and the case for my QC2's in the seatback pocket to keep them handy. Have never, ever had an issue.

Could indeed be a new mandate from the FAA and a clarification of the rules, but as the rules don't exempt in-flight magazines or the SkyMall catalogues that I can tell, I don't see how they (the FAA or the FAs) can differentiate between those items and similar things (a book, magazine, iPod, etc.), other than the claim that some are passenger "baggage" and the others are not.--and choosing to enforce that seems nonsensical to me.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by United737522
Basically, the seatback pocket is not an approved storage area for cargo. Yes, cargo is laptops, ipods and water bottles. What it comes down to is that the cargo stored in the pax compartment must be in an approved area that has been tested. The tests tell if the bin will hold in an emergency. The seatback is not tested. So technically, as stupid as it seems, the FAA wants to make sure that your ipod will not cause the seatback to fail in an emergency and potentially injure someone.
So is this a new rule, or what?
Old Jun 14, 2008, 10:21 am

This specific FAR was modified in 1995, nothing recent. However, with the FAA crackdown it may be that it is now being more strictly enforced. Maybe the FA got an FAA inspector on one of her recent flights, and the rule is "new" to her.

In any case, I cannot understand why anyone would want to put anything in the seatbacks anyway. I've personally seen vomit, dirty diapers, someone's urine soaked underwear, rotten food, countless snotty kleenex, chewing tabacco, gum and other nasty things stuffed in there. (my co-worker found a *used* condom once) The seatbacks are gross and I never put something in there that I care about.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 5:42 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
I heard it on a skywest flight yesterday. We were told that we couldn't have it in the seat pocket but that we could hold it....makes a lot of sense

Halothane
Old Jun 14, 2008, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
So is this a new rule, or what?
No, it's been in place all along. It is up to the specific carrier to decide whether or not to enforce this or not.
Kind of the same thing where on UX, you are sometimes asked to put your window shades up for T/O and landing, but on mainline, it's never mentioned.
As a rule, your average UX f/a has been on the job for a matter of months, if not weeks. They are fresh out of their training where they had this crap drilled into their heads for 6 weeks, and are told that anyone could be an FAA inspector looking to levy that $1,000 fine on them.
Actually, FAA inspectors are required to identify themselves prior to boarding, flying and inspecting your flight.
Even though we want to think these individuals are on 'power trips', in actuality, they just had really good brain washings in their trainings weeks earlier...nothing else. They are just afraid for their jobs. If you can call it a job. (and yes, I am aware that I once walked among them and did the same sort of crap! )
Old Jun 15, 2008, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I was on SkyWest today and didn't hear this announcement, but I noticed the only things in the seat pockets were the safety cards. Surprised there were no inflight magazines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.