Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Changes to MP Award Redemptions, Effective 15 June 2011 (UA Insider comments post 61)

Changes to MP Award Redemptions, Effective 15 June 2011 (UA Insider comments post 61)

Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hellyea
How hard would it have been to just keep it at 750 miles? Why downgrade to 700? How petty of United to just not keep it at 750 miles. Unbelievable.
So that New York to Chicago flights aren't available at the cheaper mileage levels. And a host of other calculated reasons...
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:59 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi joshc40, the mileage upgrade award copay waiver for Elite members will continue to apply to ps flights (which are not otherwise eligible for complimentary Elite upgrades). Sorry I wasn't clear about that. In addition, copays will be waived for Elites on United flights between the U.S. and Hawaii. That's new.
This is really great -- no more exorbitant Hawaii upgrade copay for elites. Of course, it'll cut into UDUs and CR-1s, but I prefer it this new way.

Also, Scott, I echo the sentiment that your method of delivery of the news (acknowledging the bad with the good) is very much appreciated.

How hard would it have been to just keep it at 750 miles? Why downgrade to 700? How petty of United to just not keep it at 750 miles. Unbelievable.
Perhaps it has something to do with Chicago to New York being between 700 and 750 miles. I wouldn't call it "petty" if there was a good reason for it.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:32 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
I drafted up a summary of the Saver award changes for departures from the Mainland US, Alaska & Canada, as reading through both charts made my eyes hurt:

http://frequentlyflying.com/united-a...e-june-15-2011
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Another change, or so it appears, is the elimination of the discount when flying UA between Japan and S Asia. My reading is 15/30/40 regardless of UA or other *A metal.
Good catch - that's crazy!

The redemption rate was obviously ridiculously good when flying from NRT to BKK or SIN in UA and the really nice thing was that it was usually REALLY easy to find availability on those flights...

Now, with no reason to fly UA, I'm hoping (at least from the folks here on FT) that the only reason that people will choose UA is unfortunately, availability.

-jeremy
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Personally, I never found using RDMs for upgrade to be a wise choice. Sure, it earns you EQM, but you are also spending a large amount of miles. 60K miles RT to upgrade to business when a business awards only cost 100K??? No brainer. I'd go for the award.
For some it may well be a no-brainer. However, I am an independent consultant and I bill my clients for my travel. So it makes little sense to book an award, lose EQMs and the additional RDMS (however small the difference may now be), and get nothing in return. My clients would love me for it but it just doesn't make sense from a business perspective.

And I agree that redeeming RDMs for upgrades is not a particularly good deal anymore. I don't recall the exact levels but it wasn't too many years ago that the number of miles earned (assuming status entitles one to double-RDMs) was roughly the number of miles required for an upgrade. And copay was something you did at your Dr's office.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The reduced price for short awards and the one way award option both make me very happy ^
Old Mar 17, 2011, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by geofflaredo
Scott, maybe this is obvious from your answer but help me out here. I've already purchased tix for two trips later this year, and for both I arranged for the copay plus miles at the time of purchase to guarantee seat in business class. Do the changes as you've outlined them affect me at all, or not? thanks.
If you're already ticketed, the changes do not apply. If you are ticketed before June 15, 2011. the changes do not apply.

Why did they do this? So NYC-ORD and EWR-ATL no lnger qualify. PHL-ORD, PHL-ATL ORD-ATL and SFO-SEA (among others) still do.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kmfdm91

Now, with no reason to fly UA, I'm hoping (at least from the folks here on FT) that the only reason that people will choose UA is unfortunately, availability.

-jeremy
I am not sure why there is no reason to fly UA intra-asia. New C is better than most regional and some longhauls offerings on other carriers, there is still E+ in Y and service and food quality is far (really far) better on those routes vs that from US.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Thumbs down NA to/from EUR Y->C upgrades

15k to upgrade Y -> C and 20k to upgrade B -> C
Upgrades from C -> F are only 20k! ...?!?! Atleast keep the 10k level for Y and make B 15k...

Major downer for my future travel as I really liked the 10k upgrades.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:00 pm

Thanks!

Thanks for making life easier for so many of us!

Originally Posted by UNITED863
I drafted up a summary of the Saver award changes for departures from the Mainland US, Alaska & Canada, as reading through both charts made my eyes hurt:

http://frequentlyflying.com/united-a...e-june-15-2011
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by azepine00
I am not sure why there is no reason to fly UA intra-asia. New C is better than most regional and some longhauls offerings on other carriers, there is still E+ in Y and service and food quality is far (really far) better on those routes vs that from US.
The only thing I'll agree with you on is the new C class, but how many routes intra-asia is it available on?

+E: Some carriers (Asiana on 777) have as much legroom in Y as United does in E+, plus most others on most jets are better than E-, so you don't gain much at all, if anything.

Food on the intra-asia routes is better than what it is From the US, but that doesn't say anything at ALL about comparing apples to apples, that is, the food between UA and NH, OZ, TG or SQ.

I've been in Y on all of the aforementioned carriers and would easily take any of them over a flight in UA for the same mileage redemption.

Count in the schedules, the flight options or the benefits (amentity kits on some flights, for instance) and I still don't know why anyone would choose UA over the asian carriers, unless they didn't know the difference

-jeremy
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by murphyUA
It actually seems like most of the premium awards ex NA went down.
+1. It seems changes are minimal. At least we should be happy that the new "enhanced" airline does not charge you half million miles for a C ticket to Asia, AKA Sky(high)Miles.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:28 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
Originally Posted by Keflyer
Thanks for making life easier for so many of us!
My pleasure!
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold/UA Mileage Plus Premier 1K
[QUOTE=xyzzy;16053171]If you're already ticketed, the changes do not apply. If you are ticketed before June 15, 2011. the changes do not apply.

Thanks - but just to confirm, "ticketed" means what exactly? everything shows up fine in the online itineraries, with the "upgrade: confirmed" clearly there.........and the miles have already been removed from my account, but the copay does not actually get charged until flight time.........
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:56 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by AndrewT84
Yeah doesn't look too bad at first glance. Europe does look like it's gone up to 60K for a saver (from 55K)
Since I have to fly coach on business trips, I am used to it and generally do that for award travel as well, so I can get more trips out of my miles, so this change on my principle route is a huge negative. When the liklihood of continued *Net blocking on the new UA, it is time for this CO elite to look more closely at AA. AA also has 60K for TATL awards but only in high season and part of shoulder season. Low season and much of shoulder season are 40K for a TATL redemption on AA.

I was keeping my fingers crossed that this merger would go okay, unlike DL's takeover of NW, but this is giving me very negative vibes.

One other thing I look at is corporate honesty and that is absolutely lacking here. They claim the reason for the changes is to align the programs, but both UA and CO have been 55K miles for TATL awards and now both are raised to 60K. That is not aligning programs. That is hosing the passengers! It is also a clear example of corporate dishonesty.

It looks like I will be taking a closer look at AA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.