Who else prefers the rear-facing C seats?

Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:53 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
1. Both kinds of seats are fine.
2. Old-style C is fine.

Quit fussing!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 2P DL Gold BMI Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Hate UA's new config in C because one has no privacy, always have someone staring at you no matter if you're in a forward facing or rearward facing seat! Only semi-private seating is rearward facing last row on a 744, but then the other issue comes into play: seats are too close together and virtually no separation between seats, no divider panel. Over all this is one of the biggest mistakes UA has made yet. Worst new C seats in the air!!!!
For my opinion, i partly have to disagree if you allow.
in the 767 Seats 6C/H have no one looking at you and they are pretty private.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 2:30 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
I actually like 'em for the reasons already stated.

I came across a video showing a staggered front/rear design throughout coach and posted about it here:

http://frequentlyflying.com/video-re...-economy-class

I know Southwest had some rear-facers for a while on their early 737s (thanks MatthewLAX!), but this would be an interesting concept for the entire coach cabin.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Having only flown one RT in C I like the rear facing seats, my partner likes the front facing seats.

Originally Posted by N1120A
Having flown both ways multiple times, I've come to decide that I prefer the rear-facing seats. Take off is a bit strange, but the rest of the flight feels much smoother, especially landing. Also easier for an FA coming up the airplane from a galley to see if you need anything.

Who else prefers this?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
For all the first-time rear-facers, here's a tip - always check the magazine latch before takeoff. I wonder if some FAs intentionally open them just to see how people will react when the whole contents starts sliding out.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, United MM, Marriott Gold
I also prefer rear-facing over front-facing. However, I generally go by seat size since the seats in new C have different lengths/widths.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Got a rear-facing C seat for the first time a while back. Was the last upgrade to clear on a 76I and got a window seat in the last row. Walked onboard with dread. But really, really liked it. Felt much more relaxed- it actually felt more natural than the other way. Am not a physicist, but there must be something better about the force dynamics. Whatever it is, I felt a lot less tired after the flight than I normally do. Have tried it a few more times and each time had the same experience. Maybe all the seats should face backwards? Never would have figured that. I just feel less like my body is resisting the direction the plane is hurtling toward at 500-plus mph.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: Back to UA with a bit of Hyatt and some Marriott
Originally Posted by ivoryboi
I prefer rear-facing for all the reasons mentioned already - but my guilty pleasure when I am in a forward facing seat is to watch all those rear facing magazines go flying on take-off!
Yep. This was going to be part of my response. I like the rear-facing seats unless some has turned the little retaining thing for the magazines to the vertical position and I don't notice it until we start our take-off roll. Then I don't like the rear-facing seats so much for minute or two.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:50 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by magiciansampras

^
Agreed.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Love rear facing seats. Since most people seem to reflexively dislike them, you have a greater chance of ending up with an empty seat next to you.
my order of preference: Rear Facing fully flat, angled lie-flat, front facing fully flat. I hate the feeling of blood rushing into my head when my head is lower than my feet.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
stop telling people rear facing seats are better, more competition for the seats
Old Jan 29, 2011, 2:33 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Me too, but am about to board the old 777--but at least in the mini cabin.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 2:54 am

Programs: UA 1k
I just tried the rear facing seat last week. Besides take off it was much better while flat. I sat in 8A on the 777 and didn't have any problems with staring.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:58 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Hate UA's new config in C because one has no privacy, always have someone staring at you no matter if you're in a forward facing or rearward facing seat! Only semi-private seating is rearward facing last row on a 744, but then the other issue comes into play: seats are too close together and virtually no separation between seats, no divider panel. Over all this is one of the biggest mistakes UA has made yet. Worst new C seats in the air!!!!
Originally Posted by Nationscapital
For my opinion, i partly have to disagree if you allow.
in the 767 Seats 6C/H have no one looking at you and they are pretty private.
Disagreeing with both. In 767 row 6, you can look into others' eyes in rows further back. The only rows on the 767 where you don't have this are rows 9 and 10, which are both rear facing.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
I like rear-facing and always 15A on the 744 with the extra compartment by the window. I've also flown LH,SQ,NH and still find the UA-seats very good. Except the missing storing-place.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.