Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United E- v. Air Canada Y To Europe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2010, 1:37 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by rkaradi
If you had access to E+ and a 767/777 (PTV on loop) I'd pick UA hands down. But since you don't and AC has AVOD I pick them. I've taken maybe 50 or more AC US-Can flights in the past 3 yrs and not once have I had AVOD issues. For just the entertainment alone, plus USB at every seat and 2 normal power ports per row, you're better off on AC. I love UA but in the back of the bus in E- to Eurpoe, no way jose.

BTW YYZ is a pretty decent airport love the lounges depending on your connection time may be worth a day pass.
Which nice louge is available to *A Gold member at yyz? AC?
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by lax2010
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ges/index.html

But careful, after visiting, you may realize just how much domestic RCCs suck.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by lax2010
I've only been too one it's in the connections to US termial (not sure of the number). Real food at meal times, complimentary cocktails and beer, with a decent selections of spirits and beers, free wifi and the big one showers.

I have been to the LAX, YVR, YYZ, YEG and YYC lounges and they put all US DOM UA RCC's to shame IMHO.

Originally Posted by rankourabu

So true so true, UA needs to move up with the times, and this is coming from an RCC member for the past 5 yrs.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I am conscious that you don't want to go through EWR, but are you aware that CO flies nonstop to GLA? Despite EWR's shortcomings, one stop instead of two should be preferable.
First off, this is going to turn into something of a mileage run anyways (that is the point of this forum, right?), so number of stops does not really bother me; where they are does. Secondly, another fun thing to consider is that most PIT-EWR flights are operated by Dash-8s, which are far, far down the priorities list when things at EWR go south. Continental would be in serious contention if I could do, say PIT-IAH-LHR-GLA; instead they force everything via EWR.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by N1120A
If you don't get E+, AC is the clear choice.
Absolutely, all the way.

When UA allowed access to Economy Plus for Star Golds, it was always my first choice for transatlantic. Now it is probably my least favourite, and I find AC a much more civilized alternative and I haven't looked back. US Airways is much improved, but not comfortable enough for long-haul in economy, and Continental has tight seat pitch. AC wins.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by unblack
LH Y is only horrible on the 747 (no PTV, seats are old and quite often broken), but it's fine on a A340. Service and catering is much better than UA or AC.

IFE on AC was broken on my past flights 2 times, but if it works, it's much better than UA, as it is on demand with a much wider selection; screen is bigger too. Food is slightly better than UA.
+1 re: LH. I had feared taking it but ended up on a transatlantic A340 with the kids. It was absolutely fine, and far superior to UA 747. Seat was a bit more cramped than 777 E+ (but OK) but the IFE was FAR better, ditto for service and catering. I think the seat pitch number is a bit misleading, as the LH seat seems narrower (and therefore provides more actual leg room for a given seat pitch).
Old Sep 25, 2010, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There is no question - AC is the superior product, hands-down. Even for $100 more, and the loss of E+, take AC. The seats from a comfort standpoint are among the best in the air, superior to almost every airline in the world.

Service is very professional, and the food is OK - but it's the seat that you'll be spending 10+ hours in, and you want the most comfortable, supportive seat you can find.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like AC offers a better product. I used to really like AC but Aeroplan is terrible.

I would also consider the following:
  • Frequency of the flights in case things go wrong and you mis-connect
  • Giving it is Thanksgiving, domestic US legs are probably a lot more crowded than trans-border ones
  • Security at LHR - do Canadian carriers have less unpleasant restrictions than US carriers? (Not sure what the rules are nowadays.)

Montreal now has this "747" bus that goes between downtown and YUL airport. Buy a Day Pass for C$7 - that covers both ways. Do budget enough time - at least 45 minutes - to get back to the airport during rush hour.

On the way back, you pre-clear US Immigration and customs at YUL/YYZ. The wait at YUL varies greatly but I think transit passengers bypass a lot of the lines.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
I used to really like AC but Aeroplan is terrible.
Yes a program that allows you to book RTWs with 3 stops in F for 120k is truly terrible.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes a program that allows you to book RTWs with 3 stops in F for 120k is truly terrible.
If your sole purpose is to use your Aeroplan miles for that (basically a F ticekt to South Asia but taking advantage of their rules), then maybe it is not so bad. http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...d-itineraries/

There are lots of downside to Aeroplan - all the change fees, taxes and mileage life. Furthermore, not all AC fares can accumulate miles.

IMHO, it was a huge mistake for AC to spin off Aeroplan. I think most of the downsides were the result of that. I hope UA does not do it.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 2:54 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG

Thanks for the info/link for the Maple Leaf Lounge.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
There are lots of downside to Aeroplan - all the change fees, taxes and mileage life. Furthermore, not all AC fares can accumulate miles.

IMHO, it was a huge mistake for AC to spin off Aeroplan. I think most of the downsides were the result of that. I hope UA does not do it.
I agree about the spin off.
The change fees arent so bad, $90 is acceptable
Taxes? Only YQs on AC metal, within NA its $27, not too bad when shorthauls are 15,000 miles
Mileage life... its so easy to keep it active with a visit to Sobeys or Esso. But I agree that sh!t is gonna hit the fan in 2013.
The inability to earn miles on Tango domestic flights is a big drawback though, I agree there

There is also the ability to book all Star partners online.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
Between AC and UA Y I'd choose AC but what about CO I know you dont want to do EWR but it isnt that bad and theres a direct flight EWR to GLA on the 757 which should feature AVOD. The PC lounges at EWR arent bad either.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like this is an easy decision

Air Canada it is then......

Just one last question: would it be wise to hold off on buying something until late October (ie historically is there a transatlantic fare sale between now and then)?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GSP flyer
Air Canada it is then......

Just one last question: would it be wise to hold off on buying something until late October (ie historically is there a transatlantic fare sale between now and then)?
I would be careful - the Canadian market is different. Much of the cheaper European prices occur over the summer because of the robust charter market (which doesn't exist in the US) that adds competition. Most of the charter lift to Europe is reduced in the fall (with a short boost around Xmas holidays) and repointed to the Caribbean region for the winter - leaving AC as the dominant player to Europe during winter. That means less incentive to reduce fares unless the broad market falls off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.