Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bedbugs in UA Business Class seats

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Bedbugs in UA Business Class seats

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/17/op...ml?ref=opinion

Apparently, the bedbugs also get to feast while travelling in UA C-class... on the passengers!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 4:44 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I've been unimpressed with the condition of UA cabins. This doesn't surprise me.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 4:59 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Unhappy

Eeeewwwwwwww! Is that the new C ?!?!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:21 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by TBD
I've been unimpressed with the condition of UA cabins. This doesn't surprise me.
I'm less impressed with the passengers that carry the bedbugs into the cabin.

Originally Posted by Paella747

Eeeewwwwwwww! Is that the new C ?!?!
Maybe its the new passengers.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 17, 2010 at 6:17 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Thumbs down

This has happened to me and another colleague on UA flights between IAD and LAX... Though we thought the bugs might be in the blankets. Doesn't surprise me if they were in the seats!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
New York seems to be having a major outbreak of bedbugs at the moment from personal residences to hotels to clothing stores, etc ... I keep seeing articles in the paper and on the news and its skin crawling. I'm not surprised this via the NY Times. They aren't the only area having this problem so it was only a matter of time before something like that happened.

I'm curious if the guy sent his note to only the paper or if he actually did something about notifying UA about which of their aircraft has the issue and whether his chair was the only one with a problem ... sounds like he was slow to realize. Major ick regardless but worse if UA doesn't know and has taken no action
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:41 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Doug 1029
Maybe its the new passengers.
True 'dat! They did have to come from somewhere!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GoingAway
New York seems to be having a major outbreak of bedbugs at the moment from personal residences to hotels to clothing stores, etc ... I keep seeing articles in the paper and on the news and its skin crawling. I'm not surprised this via the NY Times. They aren't the only area having this problem so it was only a matter of time before something like that happened.
In this case, the passenger is reporting bedbugs in C on a LAX-IAD flight; I don't think the three-cabin widebodies that operate those flights see much NYC action (certainly not p.s. C!)

Which is not to say bedbugs aren't a problem in LA or DC. In both cities, everyone knows you don't take a couch off the street, and you should probably even think twice about that futon from Craigslist.

Originally Posted by GoingAway
I'm curious if the guy sent his note to only the paper or if he actually did something about notifying UA about which of their aircraft has the issue and whether his chair was the only one with a problem ... sounds like he was slow to realize. Major ick regardless but worse if UA doesn't know and has taken no action
It's possible that he notified UA but those details were trimmed from the published version of the letter -- the NYT is pretty stingy with letter length.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:47 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Doug 1029
....Maybe it's the new passengers.
did they earn miles? (hey, somebody had to ask, right )
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Sounds more like a passenger preparing some sort of complaint or even lawsuit. A letter to the editor isn't the most reliable source.

I'd check an entomologist and see how likely that is. Can they live in the dryness of an airplane, in the pressurized atmosphere? Where exactly on a plane do they live? I thought bedbugs only came out to feast on you while IN bed, but they lived in wood or other areas around the bed. Such areas on a plane?

Story seems "buggy" to me...
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by goalie
did they earn miles? (hey, somebody had to ask, right )
Might they be included in a NFL?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I thought UA only put the bite on economy passengers.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Sounds more like a passenger preparing some sort of complaint or even lawsuit. A letter to the editor isn't the most reliable source.

I'd check an entomologist and see how likely that is. Can they live in the dryness of an airplane, in the pressurized atmosphere? Where exactly on a plane do they live? I thought bedbugs only came out to feast on you while IN bed, but they lived in wood or other areas around the bed. Such areas on a plane?

Story seems "buggy" to me...
The letter writer, David J. Anderson of Pasadena, appears to be a world-famous CalTech scientist, although not an entomologist himself. Somehow I doubt he has either the time or the inclination to write letters to the NY Times just so he can get more compensation out of UA.

The bedbug article on Wikipedia makes it pretty clear that bedbugs can live in many different hiding places, and that the low humidity on airplanes is no problem at all. If you think about it, there are plenty of nooks and crannies in and around airline seats. I'm surprised that aircraft bedbug infestations haven't been reported earlier.

(The Wikipedia article is fascinating. Here's a sample of one of several bizarre factoids: "All bedbugs mate by traumatic insemination. Because the female has no genital opening, the male pierces her abdomen with his hypodermic genitalia and ejaculates into the body cavity.")

Last edited by snic; Aug 17, 2010 at 8:27 am
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by snic
(The Wikipedia article is fascinating. Here's a sample of one of several bizarre factoids: "All bedbugs mate by traumatic insemination. Because the female has no genital opening, the male pierces her abdomen with his hypodermic genitalia and ejaculates into the body cavity.")
Oh man, that is way TMI
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by snic
The letter writer, David J. Anderson of Pasadena, appears to be a world-famous CalTech scientist, although not an entymologist himself.
that's ENTOMOLOGIST. 'Entymologist' would be studying the origin of the word bedbugs in the English language

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.