Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Non-reconfigured (Old) 747 N194UA in service (until 6 Jan 2011)

Non-reconfigured (Old) 747 N194UA in service (until 6 Jan 2011)

Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Did you already submit the PAOA? What was the compensation offered?
Flying SFO-ICN in early November, any chance for an unlucky "upguage" here?

(SWUS cleared at booking 2 weeks ago from Y-> C)
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by warreng24
I hope that UA got their money's worth on the heavy check. They pulled N194UA out of the desert earlier this year, sent it to Pusan for a heavy check, then put it into service for just a few months.
According to an article in The Wall Street Journal on Sept. 24, the plane will be leased out in the fall.

Quote:
"United Airlines has been one of the most conservative airlines on the capacity front. Still, some rivals griped when it put a retired 747 back into service over the summer. But the big plane served only as a spare and will be leased to another airline this fall to fly outside of the U.S."
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.4MM; AA PLT 2.5MM; Hilton Diamond; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex MR; Chase UR, et al
Originally Posted by 1kBill
According to an article in The Wall Street Journal on Sept. 24, the plane will be leased out in the fall.
12/4/10 is the last day it is scheduled to fly the 664/973 route.

Originally Posted by hamburgler
Don't expect it for too long - the merger fleet plan calls for the 747 fleet to be -1 between October and December, so my guess is N194UA will be returned to the desert before year-end.
Too bad, I was hoping it would head for a reconfiguration to help consolidate some post-merger east coast-Europe capacity and allow for some new markets to be launched.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by 1kBill

Quote:
"United Airlines has been one of the most conservative airlines on the capacity front. Still, some rivals griped when it put a retired 747 back into service over the summer. But the big plane served only as a spare and will be leased to another airline this fall to fly outside of the U.S."
I wonder if they're leasing it to Air Pacific. UA did something similar in 2008.
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...h-air-pacific/
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:03 pm

Military lease

Others may have mentioned this, but last time I was on the flight, a month or so ago, the rather chatty FA said the 747 was eventually going to be used to ferry troops home from the Middle East.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by 000123UA
12/4/10 is the last day it is scheduled to fly the 664/973 route.
Anyone else on 664 the last day it's scheduled to be N194UA?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Sounds like N194UA is going to HKG tonight. I'm sitting in the INTL RCC, and they just announced that due to an aircraft change, UA869, which should have left at 1pm, is now leaving at 9pm. Agent mentioned they need to move the supplies from the broken 744 to the other bird. A few angry people!

ETA Maybe it's not going. FlightAware said that it's scheduled for ORD tomorrow...?

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Oct 13, 2010 at 8:57 pm
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:47 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Sounds like N194UA is going to HKG tonight. I'm sitting in the INTL RCC, and they just announced that due to an aircraft change, UA869, which should have left at 1pm, is now leaving at 9pm. Agent mentioned they need to move the supplies from the broken 744 to the other bird. A few angry people!

ETA Maybe it's not going. FlightAware said that it's scheduled for ORD tomorrow...?
UALCargo corroborates that it's a 664/973 domestic turn for the old bird on Thursday. I suspect a 74C -> 74C swap.

Offtopic: does the same plane fly the full SFO-HKG-SGN? If so, then UA's flight status is showing a 23-minute turn in HKG...which makes me laugh, laugh, laugh...

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Anyone else on 664 the last day it's scheduled to be N194UA?
I'd propose a 973-DO for the last day, but then (a) UA will sub the plane, and (b) I'll be stuck in coach regardless since all of you are 1K. So, no, I ain't even thinking about it.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 13, 2010 at 10:23 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by gatelouse
Offtopic: does the same plane fly the full SFO-HKG-SGN? If so, then UA's flight status is showing a 23-minute turn in HKG...which makes me laugh, laugh, laugh...
Do you mean SFO-HKG-SIN? If so, then on my last trip it was the same plane. Still had to leave the plane and the turn around was about 90 minutes. But when we left the plane, the announcement said it would NOT be the same plane. I know it was because I had 2K on both trips, and I noticed some marks on the console that showed it was indeed the same plane. And it was the same gate.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2
Do you mean SFO-HKG-SIN? If so, then on my last trip it was the same plane. Still had to leave the plane and the turn around was about 90 minutes. But when we left the plane, the announcement said it would NOT be the same plane. I know it was because I had 2K on both trips, and I noticed some marks on the console that showed it was indeed the same plane. And it was the same gate.
The international legs of UA869 shows up as SFO-HKG-SGN, not SIN. Looks like 869(13) it's on its way to HKG now as a 74C, and the realists have updated the estimated layover in HKG to a more reasonable 75 minutes. N194UA remains "on" for its usual domestic turn.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:54 pm

Thumbs down Here we go again...SFO-ICN 10/15

To be overheard on Friday morning at SFO:

"Your attention, please. Those passengers traveling on flight 893, the 11:02 departure to Seoul Incheon, please be advised that your aircraft has been substituted and some seat numbers may have changed..."

Old config looks to be flying 893(15) and 892(16). 664/973 to be covered by a 74C. Though ualcargo doesn't show any further subs, I'd watch my back if I was booked on 10/16 SFO-PVG flight.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:14 pm

Programs: Car seems to be the mode of transport these days. I do not miss all the travel
Non-reconfigured (Old) 747 N194UA in service

I wonder why they use the "old bird" on the INTL flights that they have spent a fortune talking about "dream suites". When you get on, and find out what was promised isn't there, there is some unhappiness. UA tries to make it look like it's just a normal equip change, but it is NOT. it seems to have been working the Shanghai / Incheon shuffle for the last few months. I found myself on it 10/02. Why do they pick on those two so much ?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by chavada
I wonder why they use the "old bird" on the INTL flights that they have spent a fortune talking about "dream suites". When you get on, and find out what was promised isn't there, there is some unhappiness. UA tries to make it look like it's just a normal equip change, but it is NOT. it seems to have been working the Shanghai / Incheon shuffle for the last few months. I found myself on it 10/02. Why do they pick on those two so much ?
893 is the first international flight of the day from SFO, so it often gets an aircraft that's RON at SFO. 892 can turn to 857, but not as easily to any of the earlier departures.

664 has to get an aircraft that's RON at SFO, too, since it leaves at 6 am. If
N194UA isn't ready by 4:30 am or so, guess what? 74C.............

Besides: if they're going to sub an aircraft, they'll avoid the really premium routes, such as NRT, HKG, and FRA................
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by gatelouse
does the same plane fly the full SFO-HKG-SGN?
Not when I took it last year. Had many hours delay in HKG, as the plane for the SGN leg was way late arriving in Hong Kong (I don't remember where it came from, though).
Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bitterroot
664 has to get an aircraft that's RON at SFO, too, since it leaves at 6 am. If
N194UA isn't ready by 4:30 am or so, guess what? 74C.............

Besides: if they're going to sub an aircraft, they'll avoid the really premium routes, such as NRT, HKG, and FRA................
I agree that UA tries to avoid flying the old bird on premium or particularly competitive routes. But the 74C subs on UA664 tend to occur ~12 hours in advance, not ~2 hours prior to departure. So I suspect that there's something more to this story than the plane's not being ready in time. There's a deliberate, and early, decision to send N194UA overseas. The reason, only UA knows...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.