Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United to adopt CO globe logo and livery! "Let's Fly Together."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to adopt CO globe logo and livery! "Let's Fly Together."

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
My Dearest Friends in RAR!

I was saving my next message for something epic, being that it's my 1000th Flyertalk message and all. It's a milestone by any definition and blah blah blah blah. It was going to be something funny, insightful, cranky and all the other things I'm known for here on Flyertalk. But this is not that. This is, simply put, a call to action:

Save the frickin' Tulip

Not that I believe Facebook adds any value to the debate, but I feel a certain connection to the iconic United tulip and a nasty immune system reaction coming on to the Continentalesque livery--a livery that mixes my loathing of Serifed typefaces with abstract globes. I beg of you--write to United and demand our beautiful tulip stay flying.

So, come spread our pointless discontent at:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120325557986983

Who knows if it'll change much, but we just finished painting our beloved planes blue--why would we rush back into the grey skies again? Do we really want to share a logo and livery with Copa Airlines?

Just say no. PLEASE. And, of course, feel free to use this posting as a root for our collective misery/gallows humor.

Timothy

I realize it's silly to protest a logo, but so far they haven't threatened Rhapsody in Blue, thus this is second on the list.

August 24, 2010 Update:

As many of you know, a few loyal FTers have banded together and have been pressing United to reconsider the Bingo Cage and revive the Tulip in its post-merger branding.

The first thing you should do is join us on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...7986983&ref=ts

We've made it past our silly little Facebook group into the quirky column of the Mainstream Media and Blogosphere! It's about time someone started asking about our PTSD--Post-Tulip Stress Disorder.

Since Sunday, we've had articles about our campaign in the Chicago Tribune, the LA Times, USA Today, the Fly the Branded Skies blog and on Fox Business News. We have added 150 new people to the group since this blitz and it's the perfect time to strike! Here are some links:

Fly the Branded Skies Blog: http://fly.cameronfleming.com/2010/08/save-the-tulip/
Chicago Tribune: http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...085,full.story
USA Today: http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...nding/109352/1
Fox Business News: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyBM02_SLFY

On our campaign's page are addresses for both Continental and United executives... send them letters and, if you are feeling particularly passionate, tulips ASAP! Get your friends to join up, even if they slum on Delta or Southwest. If you need talking points or suggestions, the Branded Skies blog entry is filled with them.

Use the "share" function on Facebook to repost these articles on your personal Facebook page and tell the world that we only want meatballs in our in-flight meals, not on our tails.

If you're not fond of statements longer than 140 characters, might I suggest the newest facet to our campaign--Twitter! We're trying to trend #SaveTheUnitedTulip, so ride that fail whale to victory!

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm happy to take them or you can post it straight on the group's wall. We're bound to have more interview opportunities coming along, so if you'd like a referral, let me know. I'm sure they'll be sick of hearing from me, soon.

It's nice to have so many people to share this passion for design and branding with... hopefully I'll see you all soon in the Friendly Skies!

Timothy, Lori_Q and UALPremier

And no... I'm not going to start a "Save the TED" campaign next. But, on the other hand, RAR!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 25, 2010 at 2:04 pm Reason: consolidated posts on this topic and moved to top of queue
Old May 3, 2010, 3:39 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Exclamation United to adopt CO globe logo and livery! "Let's Fly Together."

Check out the new .bomb splash page, with a United 777 in CO font, colors, and the globe logo! A link to unitedcontinentalmerger.com is up, which appears to have just gone live moments ago. Again, "United Airlines" in CO fonts and logo.

This will take some getting used to! Exciting times ahead...
Old May 3, 2010, 3:45 am

Programs: Mariott Plat, *wood Plat, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K
Anything that answers our rampant speculation? This can't be united it doing a good job can it.

Could one of the benefits of the merger the the retirement of .bomb?
Old May 3, 2010, 3:48 am

Programs: RVT 1K
Wow....UA home page just popped up in my tabs when opening FF....interesting times....
Old May 3, 2010, 3:51 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by btravel112
Could one of the benefits of the merger the the retirement of .bomb?
I'd be shocked if it isn't. CO must know how much better its site is. ^

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 3, 2010 at 11:05 am Reason: off-topic
Old May 3, 2010, 4:02 am

Programs: Lots
I think they should definitely work on a new livery. That concept photo does not look good.
Old May 3, 2010, 4:05 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
United.bomb now gives the option of either browsing to United.bomb or www.unitedcontinentalmerger.com

Continental.com has the banner for the merger prominently placed on the homepage.
Old May 3, 2010, 4:06 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
This just sucks- This new livery makes me sick to the core. Keeping the brand my rump... very sad and disgusting, im at a loss of words.

Last edited by UAL4life; May 3, 2010 at 7:31 am
Old May 3, 2010, 4:20 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Wow, that was quick. I thought it was a phony website at first...

The new livery does suck. You'd think one graphics artist in the US could have assisted in getting the 'United' to curve around the fuselage a little more!

But congrats UA & CO on the merger.
Old May 3, 2010, 4:23 am

The livery might be a bit better if they kept the United font.
Uniteds brand we know totally disappears. I don't like it.
Old May 3, 2010, 4:26 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by vivamuci
The livery might be a bit better if they kept the United font.
Uniteds brand we know totally disappears. I don't like it.
Livery can be changed in the future by the stroke of a paintbrush, but a name ... that is a totally different kettle of fish. Goodby CO, hello UA .
Old May 3, 2010, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Check out the new .bomb splash page, with a United 777 in CO font, colors, and the globe logo!
A 777 on the United page and a 787 there on the combined carrier splash page. ^
Old May 3, 2010, 4:36 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Silver
I really dont like this livery. I really just want UA to keep its current livery. I mean like gosh its only like 6 years since they have had the current livery. At UA's rate of repainting it will be for ever for them to get this new ugly livery. And the logo looks awful. I was excited about this merger, and having the UA brand more here in the NYC area, but this logo and livery is something I really do not like.
Old May 3, 2010, 4:53 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AMTRAK
I like the new livery, then again I'm partial to the Continental colors.

United name stays, but the heritage of CO lives on!
Old May 3, 2010, 5:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by daganderson
I really dont like this livery. I really just want UA to keep its current livery. I mean like gosh its only like 6 years since they have had the current livery. At UA's rate of repainting it will be for ever for them to get this new ugly livery. And the logo looks awful. I was excited about this merger, and having the UA brand more here in the NYC area, but this logo and livery is something I really do not like.
I like the new logo and livery! But, I am concerned about the route map on the merger website. Taipei, Bangkok and several other Asian destinations are missing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.