Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Might want to pass on that F meal out of DEN...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM

The FDA has changed the classification of LSG SkyChefs' Denver facility from "Approved" to "Provisional" based on an inspection that turned up some real stomach turning findings, such as:

• Cart wash area - Live and dead roach-like insects too numerous to count (TNTC)
• Silverware station - At least 40 live roaches as well as other insects
• The hot kitchen - At least eight dead and one live roach insects were observed in and around the walls of the hot kitchen
• Repack area - Live roaches (TNTC), as well as ants
• Pots and pans warewashing room - At least four live and dead roaches, flies
• Dish machine wash area - At least 13 dead roaches inside the machine loading area and 31 or more dead nearby the machine
• Wash area - At least four live roaches on walls and floors

Complete warning letter here: http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/Enforcement.../ucm194370.htm

I cringe just thinking about the number of meals I've eaten on UA that were catered out of that facility.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:49 pm

ouch -- I've had 4 F meals out of DEN just in December
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
To quote the Simpsons: "If you see anything moving around...that's just freshness".
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Starman
ouch -- I've had 4 F meals out of DEN just in December
And you thought the crunch in the salad was the chopped walnuts.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1K (2k), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
My dinner on DEN-IAD last week was pretty tasty, must be the roaches ...
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Sometimes I think it is better not to know.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
My steak dinner from DEN-PHL last month was one of the best dinners I've had on UA all year.

Ugh...
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
From a frequent C/F ORD-DEN-ORD flier:

Ignorance is bliss.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat
Wow I'd recommend not reading the rest of the letter. It doesn't get any better! I think I'll stick to the snack boxes from now on. At least I can tell myself they are a bit "cleaner".
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
nice ...i've got a lunch flight this saturday in f on ua584 den-bos
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:25 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
I have to wonder if United has any contractual provisions that allow them to inspect the facility or make changes when this kind of thing occurs. I know that I find most of the domestic catering to be really terrible, and given that my international flights in-bound to the US have much better food, it's clear that it's not the logistics that are the issue, but the quality applied by the vendor.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by AceAirspeed
Wow I'd recommend not reading the rest of the letter. It doesn't get any better! I think I'll stick to the snack boxes from now on. At least I can tell myself they are a bit "cleaner".
You got that right, the balance is just as bad in many respects. I wonder where the snack boxes come from........
Old Jan 4, 2010, 5:40 pm

the dirtier the restaurant (airline catering kitchen), the more "authentic" the food (F-class gourmet meal)...

and let's not forget the direct-turn flights BACK to DEN are sometimes catered from DEN
Old Jan 4, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 3.8mm, DL gold
There goes the protein in our meals

DALLAS (AP) -- Federal regulators have downgraded a Denver facility that prepares airline food after inspectors found live and dead roaches and listeria bacteria in the kitchen.

If the company flunks a follow-up inspection, it could be barred from selling food to the airlines.

The company, LSG Sky Chefs, provides food to Delta, American, United and other airlines.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/FDA-do....html?x=0&.v=1

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 4, 2010 at 5:44 pm Reason: there was already an active thread on this topic; please do a search before posting news stories. Thank you.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by AceAirspeed

How do you know?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.