Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Red Carpet Club Lounge Access When Travelling To/From Canada [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2009, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Club

I'm flying F from SFO-YVR, does this mean I can use the International First Check-in counter and the RCC at SFO?
Old Mar 8, 2009, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
intl F counter... No

RCC (or other *A lounge) yes.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
No drink chits though...
Old Mar 8, 2009, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
No IFL for domestic, Canadian, Latin American, and Caribbean destinations.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 10:49 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrzim
I'm flying F from SFO-YVR, does this mean I can use the International First Check-in counter and the RCC at SFO?
You will use the First/Business/1K check-in line, not the Int'l F/GS check-in line.

You (and one guest departing on a Star-Alliance flight) have access to the Red Carpet Clubs and the SQ SilverKris Lounge at SFO.

You do not get drink coupons in the RCC, nor do you get access to the United Interlational First Lounge.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
No IFL for domestic, Canadian, Latin American, and Caribbean destinations.
Except p.s. flights.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Actually last time I flew to Canada (SFO-ORD-YYZ) I ended up with three drink chits - two given to me at SFO and one at ORD - all without asking!

Having already had two that I wasn't entitled to, I couldn't bring myself to complain when the woman at the ORD RCC (B concourse) gave me just one!!

David
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
intl F counter... No

RCC (or other *A lounge) yes.
US Air lounges will not admit you if you flying to Canada with just *G status. RCC will.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:25 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
I fly between Canada and USA many times a year and have never had a problem with either the Maple Leaf Lounge in YVR or any RCC in the US I have *G. As for the question is Canada considered and Intl destination from the USA the answer is according to IATA yes it is. However, the Government of Canada has deemed it a domestic flight so they can charge GST. This is the only destination outside of Canada where flyers get stuck paying the GST. What a rip off.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:59 pm
ERS

Programs: Delta, United, PC Platinum
Dumb question as just a general MP member flying First out of YVR -ORD can I use the Maple Leaf lounge then? I know I can use the RCC in ORD..
Old Mar 9, 2009, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by ERS
Dumb question as just a general MP member flying First out of YVR -ORD can I use the Maple Leaf lounge then? I know I can use the RCC in ORD..
Yes: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...es/access.html. "Customers holding an Executive First or Executive Class ticket are entitled to Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge access. Please note: upgrade certificates do not provide access to the Maple Leaf Lounge."
Old Mar 9, 2009, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
IFL is allowed for Intercontinental First Class Passengers!
Old Mar 9, 2009, 6:33 pm
ERS

Programs: Delta, United, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by 28isGreat
Yes: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...es/access.html. "Customers holding an Executive First or Executive Class ticket are entitled to Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge access. Please note: upgrade certificates do not provide access to the Maple Leaf Lounge."
I saw that but wasn't sure because I am flying united not air canada.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 8:58 pm

If the USA considers Canada "domestic" and if Canada considers the USA "domestic" you have to wonder why we are spending so much money maintaining a border.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by sfo
I fly between Canada and USA many times a year and have never had a problem with either the Maple Leaf Lounge in YVR or any RCC in the US I have *G. As for the question is Canada considered and Intl destination from the USA the answer is according to IATA yes it is. However, the Government of Canada has deemed it a domestic flight so they can charge GST. This is the only destination outside of Canada where flyers get stuck paying the GST. What a rip off.
Tax is payable on flights travelling within 500-miles of the Canadian border. If the flight originates in the US more than 500-miles, tax is not payable on the inbound segment, just the return. (We collect taxes to pay for things like universal health care, so thank you for your contribution to our better health standing than found in your own country.) IATA may consider any flight between two countries to be international, but airlines in this part of the world use the term "transborder" when referring to flights between USA and Canada, and USA and Mexico.

At SFO access would not be provided to the SQ lounge since flights to Canada depart from the UA domestic terminal and security will limit access to/from the international terminal.

Originally Posted by JetAway
If the USA considers Canada "domestic" and if Canada considers the USA "domestic" you have to wonder why we are spending so much money maintaining a border.
Ask your last President. However, as just noted, flights to/from Canada operate from the domestic terminal (US customs/immigraton does pre-clearance at the Canadian airport) and thus check-in is done at the domestic check-in area, not the international one.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 9, 2009 at 10:03 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.