Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Redeem miles for gift cards through December 31st

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

Did a search, but did not see a thread on this yet. Just received the email:

Now through December 31, select Mileage Plus(R) members can
redeem miles for gift cards. Choose from retailers including
Macy's, Williams-Sonoma, Barnes & Noble Booksellers, and
Wine.com.

Redeem for gift cards today. Scroll down and select Gift
Cards from the list of categories.
http://link.p0.com/u.d?mYGvWemalVSrDX88v8S1=410

Hurry -- order by December 16 to receive your gift cards by
December 24!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
It's not necessarily a bad deal, actually: $100 giftcards for 13k RDM.

Not that I would take that deal, but still. I often pay $250 for a transcon MR that gets me that many RDM. Getting $100 back on that isn't horrendous.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I looked at them and thought the redemption rate was pretty poor. I usually go by 1cent/mile for redemption, and these fall into the 1.3-1.6c/mile range.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I would trade 56k miles for a 500 GC to be honest, it's about 1.1. I have a ton of miles but no time to travel.

On the other hand, this is great for people with orphan miles.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 5:35 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The rates look similar to what ThankYou currently offers for gift cards (and ThankYou had that infamous devaluation a few years ago, too).

That said, if you've got miles sitting around which you aren't using, the rates are generally better than for straight-up merchandise via the Mileage Plus Mall (as you'd expect for gift cards). I may order a few to stuff stockings for some relatives who are tough buys for the holidays.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
I wouldn't want to redeem too many of these, but 7k miles for a $50 iTunes card makes a great stocking stuffer. Considering I don't pay for 95% of my flights its a good deal for me.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by drummingcraig
I wouldn't want to redeem too many of these, but 7k miles for a $50 iTunes card makes a great stocking stuffer. Considering I don't pay for 95% of my flights its a good deal for me.
That is a horrible offer. Costco sells these everyday for $47. You can also find them very cheap on ebay and sell.com
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by gomike
That is a horrible offer. Costco sells these everyday for $47. You can also find them very cheap on ebay and sell.com
Everyone sees value differently. All things equal - yes, I could get a better dollar-to-dollar value on an iTunes gift card.

But...
1) I cannot sell/trade miles for dollars
2) I have an abundance of miles
3) I do not have an abundance of dollars

Therefore...

4) Trading miles for gift cards is a good value to me.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:17 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gomike
It all comes down to how you value your miles. If you have a lot and don't redeem them for award travel (I rarely do--mine almost exclusively go to upgrades, and with copays + the fact I'll have 10x CR1s over the next 13 months I won't do that as often), you can "afford" a worse redemption rate.

Better than just letting them sit, accumulate, and devalue as MP raises redemption levels over time. @:-)

I redeemed for an entry-level DSLR via the same site a few years ago; the exchange rate (around 100k miles for a camera that retailed for $800 at most discounters) wasn't great, but I also didn't have $800 to spare at the time--and it got me into doing serious digital photography (which has paid back substantially since).
Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium and Delta Gold
Miles for Retail Gift Cards

My mile are all with American, but I have a family member with about 1.5 million United miles and they would like to exchange them for retail gift cards. For instance they recently exchanged about 70k American miles for $400 in TJ Max gift cards. Is it possible to do the same thing with United? I have found the United merchandise site (http://www.mileageplusawards.com/ualoyrewards), but I would like to get gift cards and not be limited to what is on the site.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.