Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Reports that UA is Awarding Status even if short a few EQM/EQS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2009, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B9 Mosaic & 2010 AYCJ, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Gold 5*, Ex-UA 1k

Hello All,

Something unexpected -- but very welcome happened today. I have been sitting at 99,885 EQM and was very excited to take my next flight to become a 1K! Similar situation with my S/O who is sitting at 49,826 EQM and is about to become a Premier Executive.

When I logged in today, my mileage summary looked very different as I was now a 1K! My total EQM, still 99,885. I logged into my S/O's MP account, and sure enough, she is now a Premier Executive with still only 49,826 EQM. So I was 115 EQM short and my S/O was 174, both under 200.

I originally thought that maybe I had forgotten to take into account some EQMs from the DEQM fall promo offer, but those EQM totals mentioned above included all bonuses from all of our recent flight -- plus that shouldn't matter anyhow, right? As neither one of us has actually crossed the threshold according to our EQM totals!

This happen to anyone else? Glitch? Normal? Gift from United ? Is there something behind the scenes I can't see - although I don't imagine so?

I'm not too worried if it is a glitch as we will both book and take enough flights to make our newly bestowed statuses -- but was very curious to see what FTers, with their vast knowledge, would have to say and think about this!

Cheers,
Hockeyholic, who is now a 1K! :-D

PS - I've been very busy with school and work lately, and haven't spent as much time as I usually do on FT - so if there is a thread already about this, I apologize in advance and please merge it into the appropriate location! Thank you!
Old Nov 1, 2009, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Thumbs up Me toooooooo!!!!!!!

This happened to me too. This morning when I logged on, I was a 1P. After seeing this, I logged out and logged back in and dot.bomb shows me as a 1K. I have 99,120 EQM and 52 EQS, but fly on my segment to make 1K on Thursday. I will try to call and have my FF number reentered so I register as a 1K. I wouldn't have even checked if I hadn't seen this thread. Happy November 1. ^^^
Old Nov 1, 2009, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
While ^ for your good fortune.... I would caution you: .bomb has once shown I had a bunch of SWU's (I never have had them) and one time I even had 40K EQM before taking any flights for the year.

I hope it sticks.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikel51
I have 99,120 EQM and 52 EQS, but fly on my segment to make 1K on Thursday. ^^^
Only difference for me is that I currently don't have any future flights booked....

I'm hoping it is not a glitch as well... but either way, for both of us at least, it won't make much of a difference since we would have hit the required EQMs either way!

Cheers,
-Hockeyholic
Old Nov 1, 2009, 5:55 pm

Same happened to me--157 miles short of 1K and woke up in HK as a 1K, although I will handily cross the line when I complete my present trip. Hope it sticks.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:38 pm

Is it really still necessary to call MP in order to have one's "new" status entered into current reservations? I reached 1P mid-trip earlier this year, did the call-in thing and the rep said that it wasn't necessary as my reservation showed my new status.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JetAway
Is it really still necessary to call MP in order to have one's "new" status entered into current reservations?
YMMV - Seems like from reading threads here on FT you don't need to do it like you used to... but myself and several friends have had varied luck.

IMHO if that status change will make a big difference on the upcoming flight (i.e. change in mileage bonus, upgrade chances), and you aren't super busy, it can't hurt to give MP a call!

Cheers,
Hockeyholic
Old Nov 1, 2009, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
At the beginning of the year, I dropped from 1K to 1P. All of my boarding passes for flights booked while I was a 1K showed 1K, and all the flights booked after Feb 1 showed Premier Executive. In this case, I didn't take the initiative to call and have my MP # reentered.

M
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
UA Awarding Early Status for 2010

My colleague just completed a long trip and reached 49,386 EQM for 2009, including the double EQM. She was 2P for 2009, but today her account says she is 1P. She called to ask if the EQM was incorrect and was told it was correct but UA is awarding status early if you are very close and they assume you will make the next level. She then asked if she did not fly any more this year and ended the year at 49,386 whether they would take 1P away from her and was told they would not.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 3, 2009 at 10:00 am Reason: moved into existing thread
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
There have been several reports of people who are close being given the status. It looks like UA expects the elite ranks to shrink significantly even with the DEQM promos, so they're trying to encourage people.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I'm quite sure UA will award the status for 1P and 1K within 1,000 miles at the end of the year. I had that happen when I ended the year with 49.8k EQM due to a canceled flight on 12/29 and on 1/1 my status was reflected as being 1P.

It looks like they are just running the process that does the status upgrades early this year.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
Is it really still necessary to call MP in order to have one's "new" status entered into current reservations? I reached 1P mid-trip earlier this year, did the call-in thing and the rep said that it wasn't necessary as my reservation showed my new status.
My status shows as 1P in my summary as of Fri 10/30 (was 2P on 10/29), but it still apparently has not updated in the reservations system, which is, according to the agent with whom I spoke yesterday, different from the MP system. I'm on 4 days and counting and still can't select an exit row, still printing BPs with "Premier" and "Seating 1". What a pain.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:29 am

Programs: UA S
Including DEQM on all future booked flights and the 5 US segments ive been too lazy to request credit for, Ill have 96243eqm by the end of the year. Ill likely get another trip, but not entirely sure. Guesses on whether or not UA will give me ultra-lite 1k?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:39 am

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by whakojacko
Including DEQM on all future booked flights and the 5 US segments ive been too lazy to request credit for, Ill have 96243eqm by the end of the year. Ill likely get another trip, but not entirely sure. Guesses on whether or not UA will give me ultra-lite 1k?
Highly doubtful. I would never bank on even being within 1,000 miles and getting it. Either book another trip or plan on being a 1p.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:53 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Based on personal experience, the status update on existing reservations takes up to 3-5 days, but it is automatic - you no longer have to call and manually reenter your MP number to have the status reflected.

However, if you have a flight coming up that will require the benefit of your status (exit row seating, upgrade priority, meal choice preference), call reservations (not MP) and they can take out and reenter the MP number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.