Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

GRU RCC has the worst club facilities on the planet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GRU RCC has the worst club facilities on the planet

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
You wrote that no one invited you to the RCC as a 1K. I hope you know that you do not need an invitation to use the RCC. You merely show your boarding pass (assuming you are at least *gold) to the person at the entrance to the club.
I know that I do not need to be invited, but I want to be invited anyhow. I have always been invited at other UA stations, such as LHR, CDG, FRA, NRT, etc... when they see that I am a 1K.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by qfrodo
At GIG they have a podium set up where everyone stops to get their ticket receipt. After that point, the divide occurs into Y, C, or F with 1K using the C line and GS using the F line. The clue to make it easier at GIG is to not wait in any line to reach the podium. As a 1K, (or GS or even 1P or 2P), just walk past the line up to the podium on the right hand side and indicate your status. They will take care of you promptly and direct you to the appropriate segregated line.

My last flight through GRU, on Nov 17, the purser announced prior to landing that elites could use the RCC on the second floor.
I do see your point, and the next time (if there will be a next time), I will step right up to the podium instead of waiting in the stupid pre-checkin 1K line. There may not be a next time for me because I will probably not do GIG-IAD via GRU because of the stupid go back through security screening process at GRU, although you never say never.

Instead, what I will probably do Sao Paulo-Rio-Sao Paulo on TAM using Congonhas (CGH) and Santos Dumont (SDU) - the domestic airports - earlier in the week, and then fly home from GRU later on in the week (my "base" in Brasil is Sao Paulo).

I have to say that the flight on TAM is very civilized - they serve you a small snack/meal even for a flight barely 1 hour long, and both CGH and SDU are easy to get to and fro.

Last edited by sapguy; Nov 21, 2009 at 11:00 pm
Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
Just to echo what some others have said, United folks at the recent megado said RCC's would be undergoing upgrades in 2010, so here's hoping any complaints about GRU's RCC will be alleviated at some point. The pictures of the new ORD RCC near the Jamba Juice are certainly promising...
Old Dec 4, 2009, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by harperb
Just to echo what some others have said, United folks at the recent megado said RCC's would be undergoing upgrades in 2010, so here's hoping any complaints about GRU's RCC will be alleviated at some point. The pictures of the new ORD RCC near the Jamba Juice are certainly promising...
On the evening of December 2 I used the RCC at GRU.

Intentionally, because of the negative things written here about the club, I did a walk through of the facilities.

The carpets have been cleaned but not replaced. The furniture has been cleaned but not replaced. The entire facility looks better than most RCC throughout United's system. However, the wallpaper is still peeling off the walls in the men's room.

It appears that the RCC is slowly being upgraded. I think when I go through there again next month I will see the wallpaper in the men's room either removed or replaced.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
GRU Arrivals?

Quick question: I'm flying ORD-GRU tomorrow and arrive around noon the following day. I have a 5 hour layover before a TACA flight to LIM, and it'd be nice to take a quick shower. I think noon's when the Arrivals Lounge closes. I'm flying C (upgraded), so I might not have access to the Arrivals Lounge anyway. What should I do?

Can I stay in the RCC until my flight, or does it close in the afternoons? Thanks!

1Konsultant
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
I don't believe you will have access to the arrivals suite. However, along the walkway (air side) between the two terminals there is a Fast Sleep that you can use for a price. Here is a mini review with some prices and a link to the Fast Sleep site (Portuguese).

http://www.travelandleisure.com/acti...tional-airport
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sapguy
I do see your point, and the next time (if there will be a next time), I will step right up to the podium instead of waiting in the stupid pre-checkin 1K line. There may not be a next time for me because I will probably not do GIG-IAD via GRU because of the stupid go back through security screening process at GRU, although you never say never.

Instead, what I will probably do Sao Paulo-Rio-Sao Paulo on TAM using Congonhas (CGH) and Santos Dumont (SDU) - the domestic airports - earlier in the week, and then fly home from GRU later on in the week (my "base" in Brasil is Sao Paulo).

I have to say that the flight on TAM is very civilized - they serve you a small snack/meal even for a flight barely 1 hour long, and both CGH and SDU are easy to get to and fro.
Instead of waiting 30 minutes (at max) to go trough a security screening at GRU you prefer to take a 1 hour flight to CGH, a 1 hour taxi / bus to GRU and stay on the customs and security lines in GRU that are way longer than GIG? Plus pay the extra ticket.

I do this flights quite often and I still don't see the point of flying to CGH.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1Konsultant
Quick question: I'm flying ORD-GRU tomorrow and arrive around noon the following day. I have a 5 hour layover before a TACA flight to LIM, and it'd be nice to take a quick shower. I think noon's when the Arrivals Lounge closes. I'm flying C (upgraded), so I might not have access to the Arrivals Lounge anyway. What should I do?

Can I stay in the RCC until my flight, or does it close in the afternoons? Thanks!

1Konsultant
Not sure you can use the arrivals on an upgraded ticket. The fastsleep will be the best option.

RCC club will be open with no more than 10 people inside.
How do you plan to make the check-in for TACA?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
No Arrivals Suite for an Upgraded ticket
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by mgs 1k
Instead of waiting 30 minutes (at max) to go trough a security screening at GRU you prefer to take a 1 hour flight to CGH, a 1 hour taxi / bus to GRU and stay on the customs and security lines in GRU that are way longer than GIG? Plus pay the extra ticket.

I do this flights quite often and I still don't see the point of flying to CGH.
I guess you missed my point.

What I am trying to say is that I will fly to and from Brazil through GRU.

I will then fly to Rio for work using CGH and SDM since both are much more convenient, and I will probably spend 1 night or 2 in Sao Paulo after coming back from Rio before I will fly home from GRU. CGH is 15 minutes from my hotel and SDM is 10 minutes from my office.

However, if my travel requires that I fly home directly from GIG through GRU, then I will have to endure the 30 minutes rescreening in GRU.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Lately UA seems to be making screening available just past gate 10 depending on your flight connection and direction of travel. Saves the walk all the way to the screening next to Passport Control.

Going IAD/ORD-GRU-GIG the will screen continuing pax to GIG there.

and going GIG-GRU-ORD they will screen ORD pax there as the connection time is tight. You could pretend you were an ORD pax, they don't check. But I head for the RCC after the screening anyway since I'm usually waiting for the IAD flight.

Of course this will change for about a month starting Dec 17 when UA operates its seasonal flight nonstop IAD-GIG-IAD.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
I don't believe you will have access to the arrivals suite. However, along the walkway (air side) between the two terminals there is a Fast Sleep that you can use for a price. Here is a mini review with some prices and a link to the Fast Sleep site (Portuguese).

http://www.travelandleisure.com/acti...tional-airport
qfrodo, once again you have provided very useful information for GRU GIG travel! I never knew this existed. Most of my transits through GRU are via ORD (hence the short connection where RCC is impossible), but this info is handy for an upcoming trip where we come in via IAD, and won't have Arrivals access. How do you get there after the transit screening?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by GimmeLegRoom
qfrodo, once again you have provided very useful information for GRU GIG travel! I never knew this existed. Most of my transits through GRU are via ORD (hence the short connection where RCC is impossible), but this info is handy for an upcoming trip where we come in via IAD, and won't have Arrivals access. How do you get there after the transit screening?
I believe the one I am talking about is only accessible if you are continuing on and remain in the secured international area. I think someone else mentioned that there is a Fast Sleep beyond I&C, but I'm not familiar with that. I have walked past the one that is air side. You have to go to the second floor. Regardless of where you go through security screening you need to be just after Passport Control but before you get into the duty free area. When facing Passport Control, you go off to the right like you were going to go around the outside of it. As you go around the corner, there are 2 glass front elevators (very slow) that will take you to the second floor. You can also continue past these and down a short walkway to some escalators that will get you to the same spot on the second floor. This is often faster.

If coming off the elevators, you go left, then left again as if going to the RCC (which will be on the right-hand side of the hall. Continue past the RCC and keep walking along the air side corridor until you see the Fast Sleep on the left side. Easy to spot.

Here is another link with a map of sorts:
http://www.hotelslaviero.com.br/slav...?pagina=hoteis
which seems to confirm the existence of a second location at GRU.

Last edited by qfrodo; Dec 8, 2009 at 6:28 pm Reason: added link
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
I believe the one I am talking about is only accessible if you are continuing on and remain in the secured international area. I think someone else mentioned that there is a Fast Sleep beyond I&C, but I'm not familiar with that. I have walked past the one that is air side. You have to go to the second floor. Regardless of where you go through security screening you need to be just after Passport Control but before you get into the duty free area. When facing Passport Control, you go off to the right like you were going to go around the outside of it. As you go around the corner, there are 2 glass front elevators (very slow) that will take you to the second floor. You can also continue past these and down a short walkway to some escalators that will get you to the same spot on the second floor. This is often faster.

If coming off the elevators, you go left, then left again as if going to the RCC (which will be on the right-hand side of the hall. Continue past the RCC and keep walking along the air side corridor until you see the Fast Sleep on the left side. Easy to spot.

In checking the earlier link again, it looks like that link is referring to the other location that would not be air side.
I think I got it; we found our way to the RCC last time (although, it's not very obvious). We are connecting on to REC on TAM, so my plan is to do either RCC (or FastSleep if shower needed), then I think we can make our way to Domestic connections?? I've never connected in GRU except to take the GIG continuation flight.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by GimmeLegRoom
I think I got it; we found our way to the RCC last time (although, it's not very obvious). We are connecting on to REC on TAM, so my plan is to do either RCC (or FastSleep if shower needed), then I think we can make our way to Domestic connections?? I've never connected in GRU except to take the GIG continuation flight.
Well, since you are becoming domestic, you will be clearing I&C at GRU. This means continuing down the hall from the gate to the split where either one goes through screening if continuing to gIG or goes downstairs to go through I&C. So you would need to use the Fast Sleep domestic location if you choose. If you have an American Express card, gthere is a lounge you can access after I&C. I think it is at the far end of Terminal One opposite Terminal 2 if memory serves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.