GRU RCC has the worst club facilities on the planet

Subscribe
Quote: The same stuff that was broken and worn out 5 years ago is still today. Half of the ceiling tiles are brown from water stains, the wallpaper in the men's room has pretty much pealed off and is just hanging down all over. The carpets look like they haven't been cleaned in, well, forever. The non-free wireless, from VEX, has marginal signal, at best, from any spot in the club. Oh, and the toilets are routinely clogged and unusable. Very nice, for a supposed United Arrivals RCC.

Has anyone heard if they're going to close this dump down? Now that UA isn't having the non-stops to Rio this season, I'm stuck going down through Sampa - with multiple security checks just to go into the terminal and back onto the plane after a 2-3 hour wait. Since I'm down 4-6 times a year, I'm really hoping they just bunk up with TAM - which has really nice lounges - after TAM goes Star Alliance.

The same goes for the former Varig lounge in Rio, although it's far nicer than the RCC in Sampa. They still put out the full spread of food for breakfast and quasi-dinner at Sampa, but at this point, I feel the need for a tetanus shot before going into the RCC there.
Though the RCC in GRU may seem in need of an update, the service is SO much more friendly than the IAD RCC. The smiles alone are worth staying. So, it could be worse -- you could be at the IAD RCC......
I'll be headed to GRU this weekend for the first time, and expect significant waiting time on my return trip based on when colleagues will be bringing me to the airport. What exactly seems to be the problem with the wifi? Am I eligible to use the TAM lounge (and do they have wifi)?

Thanks!
I don't believe you will be able to use the TAM lounge, although someone once reported a single instance of success in doing so. At the RCC there is no free WiFi, but paid WiFi is available. I was told that this will change sometime next year and WiFi will be free, but I was given no date. They have recently begun the planning stages of a remodeling effort, but again, I do not know if the free WiFi would be part of this.
Quote: Well, since you are becoming domestic, you will be clearing I&C at GRU. This means continuing down the hall from the gate to the split where either one goes through screening if continuing to gIG or goes downstairs to go through I&C. So you would need to use the Fast Sleep domestic location if you choose. If you have an American Express card, gthere is a lounge you can access after I&C. I think it is at the far end of Terminal One opposite Terminal 2 if memory serves.
That's what I feared, that we couldn't use the RCC inbound Well, at least some of our 3 hour layover will be eaten up by I&C.
Quote: That's what I feared, that we couldn't use the RCC inbound Well, at least some of our 3 hour layover will be eaten up by I&C.
If you really aim to use the RCC, either by ticket class or club member, you can act as if international transiting in GRU, get rescreened (xray only) and head upstairs where both RCC and Fast Sleep are located.

Afterwards you make your way downstairs two floors and exit through I&C.

Anyway, once in the international airside area of GRU the only way out is through I&C, so there won't be any mistakes on your side. Allow enough time for I&C and you had better not check your bags or they'll be eventually collected/stored in baggage claim area, as 'pax forgot them and we can't automatically recheck as they must go through customs'.
Quote: If you really aim to use the RCC, either by ticket class or club member, you can act as if international transiting in GRU, get rescreened (xray only) and head upstairs where both RCC and Fast Sleep are located.

Afterwards you make your way downstairs two floors and exit through I&C.

Anyway, once in the international airside area of GRU the only way out is through I&C, so there won't be any mistakes on your side. Allow enough time for I&C and you had better not check your bags or they'll be eventually collected/stored in baggage claim area, as 'pax forgot them and we can't automatically recheck as they must go through customs'.
Thanks pb9997, I thought I'd read that this would be the case but didn't know about the baggage. I'm used to the continuing transit to GIG where I&C happens in GIG. We'll see what we feel like doing at that point. We will check one small bag, but on trips like this is it's the "stuff we can live without but is nice to have" like sunscreen, extra clothes, etc. Maybe we'll take our chances and use the RCC, maybe just suck it up and see the rest of lovely GRU. At least we get to use it on the way back.
RCC Lounge at GRU, what the????
I was in the RCC at GRU and what a dump. Large stains on carpet, bathroom was damaged with wall paper hanging and toilet seat in floor. Look like a 24hr truck stop. Well below standards I would have expedted from United RCC.
ginsena, since your post was merged into this thread, read prior posts if you have not already done so. Also note this comment by putongo, "Though the RCC in GRU may seem in need of an update, the service is SO much more friendly than the IAD RCC. The smiles alone are worth staying. So, it could be worse -- you could be at the IAD RCC".

Infrastructure wise the building that the RCC is in is owned and maintained by Infraero. UA could not do much rehabilitation until Infraero fixed the leaks. From what I was told on a recent trip, the leaks have been fixed, so we will see how rapidly any refurbishment occurs. They are also working on adding free WiFi. But remember, this is Brazil and things sometimes happen in fits and starts, but eventually it gets done. The addition of TAM to *A in May is likely to provide motivation to get something done.

They also recently changed caterers (I think I mentioned that elsewhere), and while it may seem like a "24-hr truck stop" in terms of facility infrastructure, the food offerings, booze, and service generally are better that what one finds in US based RCCs.
Quote: ginsena, since your post was merged into this thread, read prior posts if you have not already done so. Also note this comment by putongo, "Though the RCC in GRU may seem in need of an update, the service is SO much more friendly than the IAD RCC. The smiles alone are worth staying. So, it could be worse -- you could be at the IAD RCC".

Infrastructure wise the building that the RCC is in is owned and maintained by Infraero. UA could not do much rehabilitation until Infraero fixed the leaks. From what I was told on a recent trip, the leaks have been fixed, so we will see how rapidly any refurbishment occurs. They are also working on adding free WiFi. But remember, this is Brazil and things sometimes happen in fits and starts, but eventually it gets done. The addition of TAM to *A in May is likely to provide motivation to get something done.

They also recently changed caterers (I think I mentioned that elsewhere), and while it may seem like a "24-hr truck stop" in terms of facility infrastructure, the food offerings, booze, and service generally are better that what one finds in US based RCCs.
emphasis mine. +1

Yes, the GRU RCC has a lot of cosmetic updates to do, but the service and food is outstanding and puts "pretty and modern" US based RCCs to shame.
You might want to try your luck at the TAM lounge. YMMV, but I've been recently in Brazil and got in every single time I tried. They officially join *A in May, but their dragons have already been trained to let *G in if the lounge isn't too full.
Quote: You might want to try your luck at the TAM lounge. YMMV, but I've been recently in Brazil and got in every single time I tried. They officially join *A in May, but their dragons have already been trained to let *G in if the lounge isn't too full.
Nice to know. I have a flight on 4/4 out of GRU so might try my luck.
Quote: Nice to know. I have a flight on 4/4 out of GRU so might try my luck.
How did things go?

I'm flying out of GRU tonight (April 8) to IAD then home to LAX.
Unfortunately my flight from VIX arrived late and I barely had time to go up to the RCC for a bathroom break.
Quote: Unfortunately my flight from VIX arrived late and I barely had time to go up to the RCC for a bathroom break.
OK, thanks. I'll give it a shot and see how things are.
Quote:
Unfortunately my flight from VIX arrived late and I barely had time to go up to the RCC for a bathroom break.
I was at the GRU RCC three days ago.

Although the carpet looks worn, by no means does the RCC resemble a "truck stop" as one poster described it.

As has been stated previously (and I agree), the facility is pleasant and has a good selection of food and beverages.