Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delayed luggage compensation question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Delayed luggage compensation question

flew LHR-ORD-AVL. our two bags made it to ORD and cleared customs, but one, mine, didn't get to AVL last night when we did.

this morning, instead of sending it on the first flight out to AVL, someone at ORD sent it to ATL. (i only know this because i've been calling every few hours.)

1k baggage has been more helpful than the website, which still shows 'we have no idea where your bags are but we're working on it' and the woman i spoke with on my third call today said it's being sent, on DL, to AVL, and will then be delivered to me. hopefully i'll have it by the end of the day. the agent said clearly it was a united employee's mistake sending it to atlanta.

she also sent me a skykit email. clicking on it resulted in an offer of 7000 miles, a 10% international voucher or a $150 domestic voucher. that seems REALLY chintzy, since it was an international flight, a 1k's bag, and a UA mistake sending it to atlanta instead of asheville. (not to mention a UA mistake not sending the bag along with me, but i digress.) you have to accept something before you navigate away from the website, so i did...but it seems to me this should be a $600 voucher. i'm wondering if anyone thinks it's worth my while to try for that, and if so, who i should contact.

the agent at LHR tagged both bags in mr kk's name, a 1p, instead of mine, which might be part of the problem.

suggestions?

(side note: there were two expensive bottles of scotch whisky in the bag, along with two pricey new sweaters. i'm very curious to see if all arrive intact, after magically spending the night at ORD and adding an extra flight leg and an additional carrier.)

Last edited by karenkay; Jun 25, 2011 at 1:54 pm
Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: United 1P, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
If anything was missing or your bottles of scotch broke during transit, I would be furious and submit a claim. I am guessing AVL is home for you, I think $150 is okay, not great, but its something. If AVL is not home, you can ask for additional compensation and be reimbursed for incidentals.

UAL/CO lost my bag last night and could not find it. I tried calling the lost baggage number but it was busy for awhile and I gave up. Luckily, I was coming home and I have everything I need. I called early this morning and the bag was found and got a call a few minutes ago saying it will be delivered to me. From searching around, I will not be receiving any compensation since it was delayed less than 24 hours. After 200+ flights in the last few years, this is the first time I've had a delayed bag. I am not happy about the situation but I am just glad to get my bag back.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 2:04 pm

I was doing a little research, and it seems more of a common issue on United.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-delay-3.html

Unfortunately, compensation seems to be very weak. You seemed to get the high end of the bargain. LOL
Old Jun 25, 2011, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
First of all, and I know this is really just semantics, but sounds like you had delayed baggage, not lost - there's a very distinct difference between these two terms - they know where your bag is, so it isn't in fact, "lost."

If you were going home, AFAIK, compensation is not even standard or required by policy at most US/Canada carriers (I'm assuming its the same at UA), so that you got something was probably pretty good (though we are talking about UA, who tends to compensate for everything).

As for the web site, while UA does make the data of where the bag was scanned on/off aircraft available to agents, it never shows up on the website (at least IME). Most carriers probably couldn't even tell you that it got sent to ATL first, they only would have known about it when it got to the destination airport.

I would probably just leave it, assuming everything in your bag is intact.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
am genuinely THRILLED to report that the bag arrived with whisky, sweaters and all other contents present and intact despite the bag going on walkabout. ^

emcampbe, you're correct, of course, and i'll ask a mod to change the thread title to 'delayed.' i realized my mistake after posting the thread.

no issue with taking the compensation given, as it sounds like i did quite well considering...and most importantly, mr kk got his whisky.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
If your bag is truly lost, then you should file a claim for the contents, plus. If your bag is delayed and you need to buy cloths than you should and will be reimbursed. If your home airport is Asheville and you receive you bag within a couple of days, $150 is just compensation.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by karenkay
...and most importantly, mr kk got his whisky.
^

-David
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Believe me - $150 e-cert is the best out there you can get - I mean airline industry wide.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:22 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Traveled to LAS tonight, and of two checked bags, had one bag routed DTW-ORD-SMF instead of DTW-ORD-LAS. It would be very interesting to find out how it went to SMF instead of LAS. 1K baggage is closed, so only offered $200 for expenses, with a request for an e-cert denied....
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:11 am

Delayed baggage additional Incidental costs?

2 of us were on a first class award seat on United from CMH-IAD-CHS. They had fog in IAD but clear condition in CMH for depature. For whatever reason, they decided to change pilots so our departure got delayed 45 minutes thus when I got to my connection at IAD, they had already shut the door on the plane and wouldn't let us on. On top of that, there were no seats available rest of the day for IAD to CHS. So, they booked us on US Air except now I had to catch a cab from Dulles to Reagan in a $73 cab ride which they didn't compensate. On top of that, we had prepaid golf rounds booked at Kiawah Island ($350 per round x 2 golfer). Due to the delay, obviously we couldn't play and lost the rounds since we're going back for long while. Customer Service was closed for weekend so they told me to write a complaint email which no one has responded and its been 2 weeks. What is reasonable compensation I can request from them and what should I do next? it took 3 hrs on the phone fixing a flight schedule they messed up so I'm afraid to call and by the time I get off the phone, I'll be gray and old. Do I get my lawyers involved?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xazntigerx
2 of us were on a first class award seat on United from CMH-IAD-CHS. They had fog in IAD but clear condition in CMH for depature. For whatever reason, they decided to change pilots so our departure got delayed 45 minutes thus when I got to my connection at IAD, they had already shut the door on the plane and wouldn't let us on. On top of that, there were no seats available rest of the day for IAD to CHS. So, they booked us on US Air except now I had to catch a cab from Dulles to Reagan in a $73 cab ride which they didn't compensate. On top of that, we had prepaid golf rounds booked at Kiawah Island ($350 per round x 2 golfer). Due to the delay, obviously we couldn't play and lost the rounds since we're going back for long while. Customer Service was closed for weekend so they told me to write a complaint email which no one has responded and its been 2 weeks. What is reasonable compensation I can request from them and what should I do next? it took 3 hrs on the phone fixing a flight schedule they messed up so I'm afraid to call and by the time I get off the phone, I'll be gray and old. Do I get my lawyers involved?
with a receipt they most probably will refund the $73 cab fare. The Golf Fees SOL as they will blame it on Weather and arent resonsible even it wasnt WX. No different then a cruise people miss the inital sailing all the time thinking arriving a few hrs before the ship is to deaprt is AOK, then something pops up to delay their arrival and bingo by the time they get to the peer the ship is but a haze in the horizon

Dont know if any Travel Ins would have covered you, but for the next time either get some if it covers it or dont book your time until at least the 2day after you are set to arrive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.