Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Did I have a bad day, or is UA going downhill fast?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2MM

Flying SEA-SFO-SMF today, first leg fine, had 2 hrs in SFO, at the U Club. Then headed for 2nd leg--gate change 79 to 78A. Fine, but noticed SMF wasn't up, asked GA, who said there was a 25 minute delay. Then immediately noticed another gate change, to 89A, and still on time. So hoofed it to 89 (a long way if you don't know SFO), where boarding was supposed to start, and they then announced a 2 hr delay, for 'late arriving aircraft'. Now, wouldn't they have known about this LAA sooner? Anyway, back to U Club, where I received many calls from mr. easy update, flight leaving 4 hrs late, no 2 hrs late, no 1.5 hrs late, from gate 78/89/78. Watching the reader board and checking with the nice folks in the Club, finally headed to gate 89, to find flight was just about to board at gate 78A, again. So hoofed it back, then we were suddenly told to board, then waited on the exterior jet ramp for 15 minutes while the plane was cleaned and stocked--with something (what would it be?) for the ultra short flight to SMF.

Seems either I was just a victim of circumstance, or UA is showing the stress of the merger, or maybe I'm just getting tired of flying so much? Everyone else on board seemed pretty cranky too....
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You had a bad day.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:11 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
In response to the title, UA is definitely going downhill, but how fast is open to debate!

LAX
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:17 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by tkc98110
Both.

I had something similar happen to me while I was on my way to the airport. Between the multiple and conflicting messages from Easy Update and the 1K desk, I didn't know whether to keep going or to head back home. Made that flight with minutes to spare.

FWIW, I detailed my frustration to the 1K desk, and they sent me a $150 e-cert, so you might want to write in and grab one while that gravy train is still at the station.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Bad day.

In a lot of time, turboprop are always the first one suffered for WX or any related issue.

If I were you, unless the price make a huge difference, I will drive to SMF instead.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Downhill, may level out when they finally put through some of the $500MM in improvements and get some new planes...until then it's death by a thousand cuts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by mikew99
FWIW, I detailed my frustration to the 1K desk, and they sent me a $150 e-cert, so you might want to write in and grab one while that gravy train is still at the station.
Am 1P not 1K, and not a a big complainer, but when things get bad I have let CS know and more recently they have sent some compensation. Had honestly not expected anything, but felt it was appropriate given that I don't complain about trivial thing (i.e. no complaints that I did not get a blanket, but if my AV is out for a cross country flight, or if the FA's in business are checked out, I will let them know).
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You had a bad day.
HE had a bad day? Getting multiple wrong notices from that useless "update" thing isn't common? Having UA call a 9am departure flight "on time" when the inbound aircraft still isn't at the gate at 8:50 isn't common? Having ground staff not know what is going on with the flights they are supposed to operate isn't common?

In what universe?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Getting multiple wrong notices from that useless "update" thing isn't common? Having UA call a 9am departure flight "on time" when the inbound aircraft still isn't at the gate at 8:50 isn't common? Having ground staff not know what is going on with the flights they are supposed to operate isn't common?
Yes to all questions. In my experience, none of these are common.

Originally Posted by flyinbob
In what universe?
In the universe where people have some objectivity and don't take every possible opportunity to say United sucks regardless of the event.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
In all fairness, they don't have much hill left to go down.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by tkc98110
Flying SEA-SFO-SMF today, first leg fine, had 2 hrs in SFO, at the U Club. Then headed for 2nd leg--gate change 79 to 78A. Fine, but noticed SMF wasn't up, asked GA, who said there was a 25 minute delay. Then immediately noticed another gate change, to 89A, and still on time. So hoofed it to 89 (a long way if you don't know SFO), where boarding was supposed to start, and they then announced a 2 hr delay, for 'late arriving aircraft'. Now, wouldn't they have known about this LAA sooner? Anyway, back to U Club, where I received many calls from mr. easy update, flight leaving 4 hrs late, no 2 hrs late, no 1.5 hrs late, from gate 78/89/78. Watching the reader board and checking with the nice folks in the Club, finally headed to gate 89, to find flight was just about to board at gate 78A, again. So hoofed it back, then we were suddenly told to board, then waited on the exterior jet ramp for 15 minutes while the plane was cleaned and stocked--with something (what would it be?) for the ultra short flight to SMF.

Seems either I was just a victim of circumstance, or UA is showing the stress of the merger, or maybe I'm just getting tired of flying so much? Everyone else on board seemed pretty cranky too....
" Flying SEA-SFO-SMF today, first leg fine "

SEA-SFO - Mainline?
SFO-SMF - I'm guessing that was Express of some variety.

Express = NOT UAL

I've pass ridden out of those gates and have had to d/h on Express also.
That concourse is a zoo. Out with the old, in with the new.
20 min turns, waiting for green tagged bags, etc.
Also, quick to cnx when the wx and delays starts wreaking havoc at SFO.

My family out there only has express available into SFO.
They HATE the first leg when coming to visit.
They won't use my passes for those legs. Too unpredictable and inconsistent . . . as you found out.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Among airports w/separate UX areas, SFO is by far and away the best - try IAD/ORD (no thanks), the looooong hike of DEN, the mediocre areas of IAH/EWR, etc. It's all perspective.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Akulashark
In all fairness, they don't have much hill left to go down.
exactly, how do you go downhill from the bottom of the hill
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Seems like UX was just juggling equipment with the ATC delays yesterday. If you think yesterday was bad, today is worse. I don't think it has anything to do with the merger.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:03 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
exactly, how do you go downhill from the bottom of the hill
Perhaps into the ground?? Which may be where UA is headed!

LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.