Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Question about international first class lounge SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2009, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Hi all,

I have the pleasure to fly FRA-SFO(02:00pm - 04:16pm) in F next month and than connect to PSP. Do you know if it is possible to go to the international first class lounge in SFO after immigration or will it only be the red carpet club in the other terminal? I think the arrival lounge is closed at the time I will arrive. Thank you in advance for your input!
Old Jul 13, 2009, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You can physically reach it (there's an airside connector between domestic and international), but you will not be allowed in. The rules only allow you to use it when departing international F.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You can physically reach it (there's an airside connector between domestic and international), but you will not be allowed in. The rules only allow you to use it when departing international F.
Thank you mahasamatman for your quick info. Sad to hear, that I am missing the chance to visit this nice lounge! So my best choice will be the RCC over at the domestic terminal?
Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Don't Feel Bad

Hi,

After experiencing the fabulous Frankfurt FCT or even FCL if you went over to United IFL, you'd think it was a huge dump.

Have a safe trip!
Old Jul 13, 2009, 9:35 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

This is not correct (unless I'm not reading right or missing something).

I went SYD-SFO in F a few months back and was connecting to ORD. I went into the IFL in SFO (although they did try to steer me into the Arrivals Lounge at first).

Have always been let in at ORD and IAD if coming off an international flight in F and continuing on.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I went SYD-SFO in F a few months back and was connecting to ORD. I went into the IFL in SFO (although they did try to steer me into the Arrivals Lounge at first).
Ahhh ... but the nice shower rooms are in the Arrivals Lounge!
Old Jul 13, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Have always been let in at ORD and IAD if coming off an international flight in F and continuing on.
+1. Never tried it at SFO or LAX.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:16 am
JHL

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Don't you have to clear customs first? The last time I did that I ended up on the wrong side of security. It seemed unlikely that they would let me through to the IFL without the appropriate boarding pass. So I slummed it in the RCC. That is not the most pleasant way to spend 3 hours waiting for a connection but it beats sitting in the terminal.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by JHL
Don't you have to clear customs first? The last time I did that I ended up on the wrong side of security. It seemed unlikely that they would let me through to the IFL without the appropriate boarding pass. So I slummed it in the RCC. That is not the most pleasant way to spend 3 hours waiting for a connection but it beats sitting in the terminal.
You have a mis-quote in your post.. I did not make the statement that you've credited to me.. mahasamatman should be credited instead.

Yes you have to re-clear security to access any lounge. It is easier though now that the terminals are connected by bridge and you can travel freely between the domestic & international terminal. You should also have no trouble getting through security at the international terminal checkpoint because of the walkway.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:33 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

We must live in parallel universes, my experiences with the IFL at SFO are not good at all.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Thank you iluv2fly. I will sure give it a try in august and let you know!^
Old Jul 13, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Nosmo King
Ahhh ... but the nice shower rooms are in the Arrivals Lounge!
There are also showers in the SFO IFL...
Old Jul 13, 2009, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I think it's the IFL attendant that missed it. The newest rules (several months old) state that you must be departing in F to be allowed in an F lounge. See item #2 on the subject (quoted and bolded below) from http://www.staralliance.com/en/trave...ss-policy.html. This was a huge topic of discussion when it came out.

International First Class Customers: Customers have access to International First Class and/or any Star Alliance member carriers' own lounges.
  • Customer must present a boarding card for the same day travel in international First Class on a Star Alliance flight
  • Customer must be departing from the local airport in International First Class
  • Customer is entitled to one guest
Also don't forget that most rules go out the window for GS, so your experience would be very different from the general masses.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 1:57 pm

Is this something new or specific to SFO? In late May my wife and I flew international F (LHR-ORD-GRR) - not only were we allowed in the IFL at ORD, one of the IFL staff met us as we deplaned to personally give us invitiations to it.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 2:04 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I think it's the IFL attendant that missed it. The newest rules (several months old) state that you must be departing in F to be allowed in an F lounge. See item #2 on the subject (quoted and bolded below) from http://www.staralliance.com/en/trave...ss-policy.html. This was a huge topic of discussion when it came out.

Also don't forget that most rules go out the window for GS, so your experience would be very different from the general masses.
That is for *A flights. If you were on UA, you have access when you return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.