Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward]

Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward]

Old May 5, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by jfk747
I refunded my refundable tix paid with paper vdbs and got 4 400 electronic credit vouchers.
Did you ask for refund online? How did you receive the vouchers?
Old May 7, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Planning to use one of these bad boys before my flight from DCA this afternoon. I'm getting there an hour earlier than I would have otherwise. Let's hope it doesn't take that long.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:06 pm

I was trying to reserve a ticket using a type b voucher today. Called in and was told that I couldn't ticket in local airport anymore. Has to mail in voucher to complete the reservation.

However, my voucher will expire on 5/26/2012 (a few days from today). The agent says as long as I make the reservation over the phone before then, even if they will receive the voucher back after 5/26, I will be alright. Is this the case?

Also, they say I will receive electronic voucher back (as residue value). I think it will be in the form of a paper voucher?

Sorry for these questions, as I've never done the mail-back route before (usually call and then ticket in airport - so always got residue back on paper).

Thanks!
Old May 24, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by busterbaxter
I was trying to reserve a ticket using a type b voucher today. Called in and was told that I couldn't ticket in local airport anymore. Has to mail in voucher to complete the reservation.

However, my voucher will expire on 5/26/2012 (a few days from today). The agent says as long as I make the reservation over the phone before then, even if they will receive the voucher back after 5/26, I will be alright. Is this the case?

Also, they say I will receive electronic voucher back (as residue value). I think it will be in the form of a paper voucher?

Sorry for these questions, as I've never done the mail-back route before (usually call and then ticket in airport - so always got residue back on paper).

Thanks!
Gauging from reports here on how long it's taken to ticket by mail, I just wouldn't trust it. If you have the ability, make the trek to your local airport and try and do it in person there, after putting the reservation on hold via united.com. A good agent either knows how to do it, or would be willing to call the help desk and have those guys walk them through it. I've successfully ticketed in person at LGA, JFK and the NY Penn Station Ticket office post 3/3. Doesn't hurt to try
Old May 24, 2012, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Gauging from reports here on how long it's taken to ticket by mail, I just wouldn't trust it. If you have the ability, make the trek to your local airport and try and do it in person there, after putting the reservation on hold via united.com. A good agent either knows how to do it, or would be willing to call the help desk and have those guys walk them through it. I've successfully ticketed in person at LGA, JFK and the NY Penn Station Ticket office post 3/3. Doesn't hurt to try
Thanks. So use the "fare lock" for $2 to hold? I notice that the old hold system (free) is not there anymore.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
I mailed it last time the day it was expiring and it all ticketed a week later.
Old May 24, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Thanks. So use the "fare lock" for $2 to hold? I notice that the old hold system (free) is not there anymore.
You can't select the 'cash' option at the checkout page that puts it on an automatic 24 hour hold?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:36 am

Update: if anyone still has any paper Type B equivalent vouchers, you can exchange them for e-certs online at https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...teExchange.jsp . The expiration date of the e-cert should be 1 year from the date the new e-cert is issued.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:12 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Question: I have been given a voucher by a friend. It's in his name of course. In the past, I've used ticket-by-mail with no problems ticketing an itin for myself. If I use this link instead for a conversion, will it only convert to an ecert in his name or will I get a chance to put in my name/email info?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Question: I have been given a voucher by a friend. It's in his name of course. In the past, I've used ticket-by-mail with no problems ticketing an itin for myself. If I use this link instead for a conversion, will it only convert to an ecert in his name or will I get a chance to put in my name/email info?
Go to the link and click "I don't have a MileagePlus number." You'll either need to provide a MileagePlus number, or provide first name, last name, address, city, state, ZIP. I don't know for sure, but I assume they want the information printed on the paper voucher (first name, last name, MileagePlus number?) to match whatever you provide on that website. Though they won't likely care about matching e-mail addresses, since e-mail addresses change all the time.

If I were you, I would either have your friend fill the form out and provide his e-mail address (after which he can forward the e-mail with e-cert details to you), OR you could fill the form out and provide his information and YOUR e-mail address. The e-certificate that's generated should be able to be used by anyone.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, HH Gold, and SPG Gold
doing it in SEA will be a nightmare
I always wondered if there are any airport agents ruder than the United ones in SEA.

After merger, I got my answer.

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Old Aug 28, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: Platinum, MM - SPG lifetime Gold
Be warned-- if you redeem the vouchers online for $100 each (scan in), you will receive a pin code for each one. The issue is there is no way to combine if you book online or by calling into reservations. I was told the best way to handle is fill out the form and send multiple $100 vouchers in and request a pin for the full value. They also said that you don't lose the difference if you purchase a ticket which is less than the pin amount. This is better because the paper vouchers had to be used in $100 increments and you would lose the difference if less.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 1:25 pm

Can you submit multiple electronic certs to get one PIN with one large value? And purchases would simply deduct from that balance until reaches zero?

Otherwise its a pain to not be able to combine E-Certs online.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 2:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hellyea
Can you submit multiple electronic certs to get one PIN with one large value? And purchases would simply deduct from that balance until reaches zero?

Otherwise its a pain to not be able to combine E-Certs online.
Nice concept but would be worried about the expiration date -- likely to be the shortest date?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:52 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I just redeemed my last Type B vouchers... I submitted four requests [4x$100] within a few minutes of each other and was issued a new e-cert 2 days later for $400 [not 4x$100] and the expiration date has been "extended" and it is good until December 2013.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.