Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can ticket reservations be placed on hold on United.com?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can ticket reservations be placed on hold on United.com?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2009, 5:52 am

That is a really bad development - I loved that feature!
Old May 30, 2009, 5:55 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
wow, I might have been the first to be affected!

Last night at 11pm EDT, I was trying to setup a reservation for my fiance to ticket using a voucher at the airport. On this particular itin, it didn't give me the option to HOLD. I wondered why not, but didn't worry about it, assuming it was a glitch.

I called web support, who transferred me to the ICC, and they set it up just fine. I told them I had a voucher to take to the airport. It showed up as a HELD reservation for me in My Itins.

So here's the question -- can we continue to hold itins if we tell them that we have a voucher to use? I'm guessing yes.

Way to go United -- you just increased a lot of work for your call centers. Now everytime I want to hold an itin, I'll call and tie up an agent for 10 minutes. That'll be a cost saver for sure.
Old May 30, 2009, 7:05 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hobo13
wow, I might have been the first to be affected!

Last night at 11pm EDT, I was trying to setup a reservation for my fiance to ticket using a voucher at the airport. On this particular itin, it didn't give me the option to HOLD. I wondered why not, but didn't worry about it, assuming it was a glitch.

I called web support, who transferred me to the ICC, and they set it up just fine. I told them I had a voucher to take to the airport. It showed up as a HELD reservation for me in My Itins.

So here's the question -- can we continue to hold itins if we tell them that we have a voucher to use? I'm guessing yes.

Way to go United -- you just increased a lot of work for your call centers. Now everytime I want to hold an itin, I'll call and tie up an agent for 10 minutes. That'll be a cost saver for sure.
Big +1.

I put tickets on hold very frequently and then go to the airport to ticket them with vouchers. No muss, no fuss, and no phone CS involvement for UA.

Now we're forced to call and probably will end up hassling with the typical "I can't see that fare, it must be available online only. Let me transfer you to web support." UGH!
Old May 30, 2009, 7:38 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

United's misguided logic is that since tickets are fully refundable within 24 hours, there is no need to offer the hold itinerary feature anymore.
Old May 30, 2009, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM Lifetime Gold, starting AK, Marriott Bonvoy
This is a huge loss. The hold feature was one of the best things about booking on UA, I've used it a great deal. Does anyone have a suggestion on where a non-1k should write to comment on it?
Old May 30, 2009, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ccharles
Does anyone have a suggestion on where a non-1k should write to comment on it?
Well, now that United has 10,000+ followers on Twitter (many of them FTers, I presume), why not use that to our advantage: in addition to writing 1K voice etc., complain publicly to @UnitedAirlines about this change. Not only will @UnitedAirlines get flooded with tweets, but it will also happen very publicly with all our networks learning about it.

<heads off to twitter...>

Last edited by notquiteaff; May 30, 2009 at 8:07 am Reason: Typo
Old May 30, 2009, 7:50 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
This is a big I used this a lot....and I think it brought UA a lot of my biz that might have gone elsewhere.
Old May 30, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
This is an awful step back for United. Thumbs WAY down!
Old May 30, 2009, 7:58 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by weero
Right. Welcome to what intl. customers always had - no 24h free cancellation, no hold on united.com, no refare policy.

Bad but normal .
+1. Very true - we "overseas" members were already screwed on all of this! Bad form indeed, but we are used to it .

Maybe its time all the 1Ks wrote into UA and kicked up a massive stink. Heck as soon as I know my new 1PVoice email I will write in . UA eventually reversed the 500 mile mins stupidity, this is probably the next most worthy issue to throw a combined fit over.

AND here's a thought, lets make it available for the OVERSEAS members as well. I get a friend to book trips so we get these features, but that's not always ideal.

What happens now to those who hold vouchers and MUST tix at the airport??? Stupid move, UA .
Old May 30, 2009, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I suppose with fewer refare vouchers, there is less reason to book and hold.

I wish UA had just made vouchers electronic in the first place, avoiding the need to schlep to the airport in the first place!

There used to be a trick to get a reservation to hold. One would put in the wrong expiration date or something on the CC, thus causing ual.com to hold the reservation without being able to ticket.
Old May 30, 2009, 8:03 am

Just sent a complaint via Twitter to UnitedAirlines, following up by contacting customer support.
Old May 30, 2009, 8:06 am

Programs: No Longer Anything
Originally Posted by treo
Confirmed--No more hold on united.com

http://faq.ua2go.com/display/4n/kb/a...earch&bt=4n&s=

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Can I hold a reservation on united.com for purchase later?

It is no longer possible to put a reservation on hold through united.com.

Please note that any reservation booked through united.com can be canceled within 24 hours of purchase for a full refund.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

You guys have said it all.... I've not liked many changes from UA, but this one actually makes me
Old May 30, 2009, 8:09 am

Mods, please change the title of this thread to reflect the confirmation of this feature change?

[Thread title edited accordingly. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 30, 2009 at 8:43 am Reason: To confirm that thread title was edited.

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by treo
Please note that any reservation booked through united.com can be canceled within 24 hours of purchase for a full refund
Was this always the rule?

I suspect they are simply following CO's procedures. CO eliminated the "hold" and switched to the 24 hour cancel process awhile back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.