FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   United Standby Policy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/955496-united-standby-policy.html)

bbmatt May 18, 2009 10:44 pm

United Standby Policy

What is United's Standby Policy?

I had a significant amount UA miles that were expiring because I haven't flown UA/Star alliance for a while. I know I should have just done some shopping/applied for the CC etc, but instead I booked a short flight from SNA to SFO.

I booked an 8 pm flight, but now I want to take an earlier flight. I usually fly American (i'm Plat with the help of last year's DDEQM) so I know I can put myself on the standby list for free, and I've been lucky enough to get pretty much all my standbys.

Since I have no status with United, will they allow me to do this, voluntarily get on the standby list for free? I know I wont have any priority, but I'm just wondering if it's even possible to be done.

Thanks guys, This is my first post so be kind :)

ryan182 May 18, 2009 10:52 pm

same day standby is free and available to all, now it is sorted by status but if the flight is empty you should have no worries. if you REALLY want to get home early there is a $75 confirmed standby (yeah odd name but...) where you can confirm the change same day, its either 3 or 4 hours before

beanex May 18, 2009 10:54 pm

Yes, all united tickets allows free stand-by, but no status means lowest on the priority list. Alternatively, you can pay $75 for same-day confirm change on the day of travel.

fnothaft May 18, 2009 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182 (Post 11770532)
if you REALLY want to get home early there is a $75 confirmed standby (yeah odd name but...)

Well, its not a strange name, because it is "Confirmed Same-Day Change", not "Confirmed Standby" to be technical.

JerryFF May 18, 2009 10:56 pm

same day standby is free and available to all, now it is sorted by status but if the flight is empty you should have no worries. if you REALLY want to get home early there is a $75 confirmed standby (yeah odd name but...) where you can confirm the change same day, its either 3 or 4 hours before

Actually, it's officially called same day confirmed, not confirmed standby -

From Apollo/Galileo -

SAME DAY TRAVEL OPTIONS-
A. SAME DAY CONFIRMED TRAVEL -
- PASSENGERS HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS
AND TICKETS MAY CONFIRM TRAVEL ON AN
ALTERNATE SAME-DAY FLIGHT FOR A 75.00 NON
REFUNDABLE FEE

ryan182 May 18, 2009 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by JerryFF (Post 11770546)
Actually, it's officially called same day confirmed, not confirmed standby -

From Apollo/Galileo -

SAME DAY TRAVEL OPTIONS-
A. SAME DAY CONFIRMED TRAVEL -
- PASSENGERS HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS
AND TICKETS MAY CONFIRM TRAVEL ON AN
ALTERNATE SAME-DAY FLIGHT FOR A 75.00 NON
REFUNDABLE FEE

oh well good cause confirmed standby never seemed to make much sense

mordecai May 18, 2009 11:10 pm

Did the fee get increased recently? I thought it was in the 40's?

cepheid May 18, 2009 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by mordecai (Post 11770587)

It's been $75 since last summer. It was $50 for a few months before that, and $25 when first offered.

WineCountryUA May 18, 2009 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by mordecai (Post 11770587)

It was $50 but increased to $75 May 2008.

FlyinHawaiian May 19, 2009 6:49 am

Related thread from the Forum FAQ: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-process.html

SeeBuyFly May 19, 2009 3:03 pm

...and you can still sign up for free standby when checking-in online, right? Does it help to do this and thus put your name on the list as early as possible? (i.e. among those whose status is the same, are free standbys confirmed in order of time requested?)

On empty flights, with a free standby request, do they ever let you know that you are confirmed well before arrival at the gate? (Would be great to know before leaving for the airport.)

Sorry, newbie questions, I don't fly UA usually...apologies if answered elsewhere.

WineCountryUA May 19, 2009 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by kalia960 (Post 11774480)
...and you can still sign up for free standby when checking-in online, right? Does it help to do this and thus put your name on the list as early as possible? (i.e. among those whose status is the same, are free standbys confirmed in order of time requested?) ....

yes & yes

Originally Posted by kalia960 (Post 11774480)
On empty flights, with a free standby request, do they ever let you know that you are confirmed well before arrival at the gate? (Would be great to know before leaving for the airport.)

Sorry no early clearing, standbys are cleared at the airline (roughly 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure. You must be present at the gate. You might get an agent to make a free change earlier but they shouldn't unless there are irrops.
An 1K advantage is free confirmed same day change.

blueone May 19, 2009 3:32 pm

if you REALLY want to get home early there is a $75 confirmed standby (yeah odd name but...)

There's no such thing as "confirmed standby." A passenger either chooses to standby for a seat for free at the gate, or confirm a seat beforehand, utilizing the "Confirmed same-day change." He can't choose both options at the same time.

SeeBuyFly May 19, 2009 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 11774506)
yes & yes

Sorry no early clearing, standbys are cleared at the airline (roughly 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure. You must be present at the gate. You might get an agent to make a free change earlier but they shouldn't unless there are irrops.
An 1K advantage is free confirmed same day change.

Many thanks for the help! Last question (you can see I am not a regular on UA):

Having checked in online and asked for standby, what do I do upon arrival at the gate? Do I need to check in with them to let them know I am waiting for standby, or will it merely irritate them?

WineCountryUA May 19, 2009 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by kalia960 (Post 11775748)
...Having checked in online and asked for standby, what do I do upon arrival at the gate? Do I need to check in with them to let them know I am waiting for standby, or will it merely irritate them?

If you have already requested standby there is nothing to do but be at the gate at least 30 minutes before schedule departure time. FYI, at most mainline airports there are screens displaying the standby lists. If you clear, the GA will call your name and give you a BP. If you don't your original reservation is still valid.