Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Standby Policy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA G
I would strongly advise against this. Assuming a GA is even willing to fly you to the intermediate city (they're not supposed to do this), you could get stuck there if you can't get on a flight to your final destination. The only way I would do this is if I were willing to pay the change fee and get confirmed on all segs.

I've occasionally gotten lucky on changing connecting flights to non-stop, but I would not risk turning a nonstop into a connection.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:22 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by jmr50
It's been a while since I've tried to do this, and was wondering how easy it is to get this done: I'm on a non-stop and want to change to a slightly earlier connection. I know the standby and same-day-confirmed rules have changed. Who should I ask, when, and what should I expect to get back?
As was stated by the other two, this is not permitted. Unavaca is correct. You must be confirmed on both and the ticket will require reissue (an addl coupon would be required,) so you must then pay the change fee
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:46 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Standby Allowed on Domestic Award Travel?

Can you switch flights with an award ticket on a standby basis? If so, are later flights OK? Will 1K line confirm, or just GAs? Thanks.....
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
You can switch flights on a confirmed basis. (UA Awards tickets can be changed anytime without fee along the same routing).
Old Oct 8, 2010, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Can I go standby (and for free as a 1K) when holding a CO code-share on UA metal? I think the answer is yes, but can someone confirm?

Thanks.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:10 am

Programs: Delta Platinum AA Platinum UA Dirt Grey Marriott Ambassador Hyatt Globalist
As a 1P I could confirm my listing for 75$ fee and be able to go on the UDU list, do I see this correctly after consulting .bomb? And only within a 3h window prior to the departure of the flight I wish to go on.

Because as a Standby Only I guess my chances are close to zero.

Is there any condition if they offer me that confirmed flight change or not?

Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:36 pm

Can I go standby on Continental?

Next week I have a flight from Houston to DFW to San Francisco. I just noticed that the DFW-SFO leg is on a regional jet.

If I show up early would United let me go standby on one of the Continental IAH-SFO flights?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Albert
Next week I have a flight from Houston to DFW to San Francisco. I just noticed that the DFW-SFO leg is on a regional jet.

If I show up early would United let me go standby on one of the Continental IAH-SFO flights?
CO standby is only free to their Platinum elite. Fees for their Gold and Silver elites. Here is their elite benefit page:

https://www.continental.com/web/en-U...e/default.aspx
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: Hilton Silver, Best West Gold, United Gold
I had to pay the 50 dollars a couple weeks ago on a flight that had more empty seats than full seats. I was changing from a fully booked later flight. I would be fine with a higher GM Standby fee or a reduced one based on status level.

Here's another one. Yes I am crazy. I was willing to give up my 1st class UDU to go standby on an earlier flight in Coach, possibly e- but they wanted 50 bucks. So I went to dinner saved more money and a fuller belly than the fee and had a drink in 1st, no meal service flight under 2 hrs.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
Standby on UA on US Award

Well heres the situation, I have a reward ticket on United from YVR-SFO-PVG-SIN (PVG-SIN on SQ) in J issued by US Airways, so now that I have found out rather than my intended date of travel I can fly out nearly a week early, is it possible just to go standby on YVR-SFO flight, and leave out the SFO-PVG-SIN sector and fly that on the originally intended date. Although it won't be officially allowed, maybe if I head down to the airport and see what they can do? But the YVR-SFO leg is in economy class
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Are you asking to go standby a week early?? On just the first segment of a award ticket issued by UA on UA metal?

Besides that standby is just day of original travel, this would effectively add a stopover. Do the US award rules allow that?

I think your chances are slim to none.

Can you change your award ticket for the earlier leg?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
Nope. Not going to happen - not at any station in the system.

Try to redo the ticket. Alternatively, you'll need to return to YVR to start.

No airline in the world would let you do this without a change fee/reissue.

-G
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Officially, US DM award tickets may not be changed at all without getting them redone through US (that'll be $150, please).

In practice, you may get day-of-flight changes when the airline you're flying has the itinerary under their control (to deal with irrops, for instance), but you're entirely at their mercy (and it's within their rights to tell you "no").

Day of flight does not mean "go down and ask UA if I can fly a week early on a US award ticket", though. They'll laugh you out of the airport and tell you to call US.

You should probably follow up in this thread, as your questions actually do not have anything to do with UA- you're using a US award and US's rules apply.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:43 pm

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
I apologize with asking a seemingly "poor" question, I was only asking this because we have done it many times on revenue bookings (on SQ/TG/AI and also not a week in advance, but 2-3 days is pretty normal) without paying any change fees, but have never done this with United or travel originating/arriving in the States or even an award ticket, thats the only reason we were asking, just in case I can do this

Edit: But thanks for your replies
Old Oct 15, 2010, 1:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by e-aviation
.. I was only asking this because we have done it many times on revenue bookings (on SQ/TG/AI and also not a week in advance, but 2-3 days is pretty normal) without paying any change fees, but have never done this with United or travel originating/arriving in the States or even an award ticket, thats the only reason we were asking, just in case I can do this...
The two key issues are:
-Ticket changes in North America are more restricted
-Ticket changes on award travel has additional restrictions and can only be handled in advance by the program that issued the ticket

Never hurts to ask
But calling US DM and asking about a change is the highest percentage possibility. There maybe a fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.