Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status report for UA Intl. Business CI and security at SFO on 10/1

Old Sep 30, 2001, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador

My friend is leaving tomorrow out of SFO
for a intl. flight on UA. How has business
class check in been for 1k and security
screening? Are they allowing non passengers
past security to see friends off?
Can I get some idea on timing? Flight
leaves about 1:00 PM. Thanks
Old Sep 30, 2001, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
SFO didn't allow non-passengers to the International gate before the attack and I'm pretty sure they won't do it now.

C and F pax have to go through the same security as everyone else. They say to arrive 3 hours early for intl flights. But I've been arriving an hour early just as I always have done. No problems although that's probably due to the lack of passengers.
Old Sep 30, 2001, 1:39 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
SFO did allow visitors to the International gates effective with the opening of the new terminal in December 2000. This was ended after the hijackings by FAA directive.
Old Sep 30, 2001, 2:20 pm

Now that no visitors are allowed past security at the new IT at SFO (or anywhere else in the US) I wonder how much longer all of the new restaurants and stores will continue to function. Before the opening of the new IT, all of the tenants on the A- and G-piers were promised that visitors would be allowed past-security...I wonder if the SFO Airport Commission will begin subsidizing these stores and restaurants.
Old Sep 30, 2001, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Most of the restaurants are BEFORE security at SFO now.... On both sides of the International terminal
Old Sep 30, 2001, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah. I haven't been to the new SFO terminal. I just recall the old one where only ticketed pax could get in. It's still the same at LAX's Tom Bradley terminal, but all the other terminals that had International flights used to allow visitors. Not anymore and I expect that most airport food services will suffer.
Old Sep 30, 2001, 10:39 pm

Programs: LH/BA/DL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimpy:
Ah. I haven't been to the new SFO terminal. I just recall the old one where only ticketed pax could get in. It's still the same at LAX's Tom Bradley terminal, but all the other terminals that had International flights used to allow visitors. Not anymore and I expect that most airport food services will suffer.</font>
Most (all?) European airports have always restricted visitors from the international terminals. Some of them have a lot of shops in the restricted areas that seem to do very well. In fact some airports resemble high-end shopping malls more tham anything else. So that should not be a problem in the U.S either.

Actually, as a passenger I prefer not allowing visitors into the terminal. It makes security checks faster and the terminal less crowded. Why would anyone hang out in the terminal anyway!?

[This message has been edited by Greg45 (edited 09-30-2001).]
Old Oct 1, 2001, 2:40 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I agree with Greg on this one... For one, I hate people milling around the boarding area, waiting for the people on the incoming flight.. They tend to block the path so people getting off the flights take ages to come out... It would be best to keep the people waiting for arriving passengers or the ones sending people off, outside the terminal area.... just makes more sense in the first place..
Old Oct 1, 2001, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh I agree with not allowing people out there if they don't have to be. And I know that shops in Euro airports do well. But it's different in the U.S. and as I walked through terminal 7 at LAX today the shops were all empty even though there were a good number of passengers.
Old Oct 1, 2001, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Well, if you're waiting on a delayed AS or TW flight at SFO, in a terminal where the food stinks, you used to be able to stroll next door to the IT, pass through security and find a lovely terminal space, a decent meal and a much better view. You can't do that now. And I bet the restaurant and store operators along the IT gate piers are acutely aware that you're not doing it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.