Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is 35 Minutes between flights at O'hare enough?

Is 35 Minutes between flights at O'hare enough?

Old Apr 28, 2009, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AA EXP, Starwood Gold
This is just to report that my LAX-ORD-LGA with 40 minutes between flights at O'hare was enough time. I made it to the gate with 20 min to spare. The second part of my flight, LGA-ORD-LAX was never made because I was on the tarmac for 2hrs because of thunderstorms in Chicago. I called UA while on tarmac to schedule a flight non-stop out of JFK instead. I had to wait for my flight to be cancelled in order to get my luggage back. I am never flying into LGA, ORD, again....
Old Apr 28, 2009, 7:41 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
I was sure I would miss my 1:08 pm ORD-IAD flight on Sunday. There had been bad weather earlier, things were backed up, and we circled for a while. We landed at 12:48 pmand taxied for a bit (maybe 5-10 minutes?), then pulled into our gate in C. Those of us with connections bolted. My connection was at B17. The monitors indicated that it would be leaving on time at 1:08, so I did the best OJ dash that I could manage with a cast on my right foot. When I got to B17 it was almost a ghost town, but the door was still open and when I asked the GA if I could still get on, he looked at me a bit strangely and asked if I had a boarding pass. I answered in the affirmative and settled into my seat with plenty of time to spare. An FA even came by to see if I wanted something to drink, even though they were already collecting the cups from those who were already aboard. In this case, because of the weather problems and the cascading effect on arrivals and departures, they were obviously holding flights to ensure people made their connections, which made it easier on everyone.

In better weather I've been lucky to have a connecting flight in Chicago with the arrival gate being literally across the way from the departure gate. I think in perfect conditions, 35 minutes could be enough, but it is cutting it close.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 7:56 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I think 35 minutes is too short for connection at ORD. Sure it's doable when the weather is nice and when your incoming plane arrives at the gate ON TIME. I use the word "gate" because taxiing at ORD could take as long as 30min. Just because you land on time doesn't mean you will get to gate on time. I hate the feeling that I am about to misconnect while your plane is taxing. Also, depending on your incoming plane, you may arrive at Concourse E/F, which is a good 15-20 min walk to Concourse B/C. Heck, even from one side of B to another side of C takes about 10 min.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
35 min is too short. Not only the reality of the short connection, but the sheer stress you have on your inbound flight. If there is any delay on the tarmac, from gate pushback, or landing, you're totally stressing out, wondering if you'll make it.

Then, as you exit the plane, you're trying to push in front of other people, frantically looking for your new gate, then sprinting down to catch that flight. It is totally painful and not worth it.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:25 pm

Thoughts on this tight connection at ORD?

BDL-ORD arrive 1:02pm
ORD-SFO depart 1:37pm

same terminal...thoughts?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:47 pm

The terminal 1 at ORD has two concourses (B and C)connecting with long tunnel walkways (3-min walk) in between. It is really tight to have only 32 minutes (17 minutes before the gate door closes). You should be able arrive ORD earlier than the scheduled arrival time, and thus you could get the connecting flight with no problem, as long as there is no ATC control, weather-related irregular operations, etc. It is good that there are many daily ORD-SFO flights as your plan b.

Originally Posted by dpakman91
BDL-ORD arrive 1:02pm
ORD-SFO depart 1:37pm

same terminal...thoughts?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
As Nelumbo said, if you land at B10 and depart from B12, you're fine. If you land at the distant end of concourse B and need to get to C, you have a long walk to the tunnel, a tunnel and potential long walk to your C gate. I practically live at ORD and would find this a tight cnxn.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:01 pm

Thanks for the tips...there is an earlier flight to ORD from BDL, 832am, which leaves a loooong layover...but a safer one for sure. I can also get on a slightly earlier ORD to SFO flight...overall makes the trip start much earlier and last longer, but seems like it's the safe bet.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Is the inbound from BDL on a regional jet by chance? That would be your worst case scenario as you could end up in the E or F block and if the SFO flight is somewhere in C...that could make for a sweaty time. Otherwise, you should be fine barring any irrops.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I did a 45 minute connection from the far end of the B concourse, all the way to B21 yesterday. I had enough time to visit the RCC at B18, before going to the gate...
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:54 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
If you're on time, you'll probably be fine (if you run and can get a seat near the front). If you're delayed, it's unlikely (unless your outbound flight is also delayed). How important is it that you make your connection? If you absolutely need to get to SFO at a certain time, don't do it. If you can stand missing the connection and taking a later flight, then maybe it's worth the risk.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.