Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Rumor - UA To Start MSP To SFO in Summer '09?

Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/4309340/

Daily MSP-SFO A319, clearly a pre-emptive move against NW for Asia traffic.

Anyone heard more about this?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 6, 2009 at 6:46 pm Reason: clarified this is not a factual statement ... yet
Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ryu2

Daily MSP-SFO A319, clearly a pre-emptive move against NW.

Geez, I wished for that route for a long time. I would guess that on the early SFO-DEN flight that at least 50 people are connecting to the DEN-MSP flight. Totally subjective on my part, but I always saw familiar faces. I don't go there as much so it won't be quite as useful now.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ryu2

Daily MSP-SFO A319, clearly a pre-emptive move against NW for Asia traffic.

A319 out of SFO? Good luck trying to upgrade...I'd much rather take the 757 via ORD (more EQMs and an extra EQS)...or better yet, the international 767....especially with greater upgrade chances.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
A319 out of SFO? Good luck trying to upgrade
To MSP? I don't think it'll be that bad (certainly not compared to manhy other routes out of SFO).
Old Feb 6, 2009, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
To MSP? I don't think it'll be that bad (certainly not compared to manhy other routes out of SFO).
There are a ton of companies in MSP. It's even a tough upgrade on NWA sometimes, with 16+ seats in F.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
...or better yet, the international 767....especially with greater upgrade chances.
I think you are dreaming there - unless I'm wrong () the only 767s out of SF go to other UA hubs (DEN and ORD).
Old Feb 6, 2009, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
Originally Posted by aussieinsf
I think you are dreaming there - unless I'm wrong () the only 767s out of SF go to other UA hubs (DEN and ORD).
He meant taking 67I out of SFO to ORD and then connecgting to MSP.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 7:18 pm

A319 out of SFO? Good luck trying to upgrade...I'd much rather take the 757 via ORD (more EQMs and an extra EQS)...or better yet, the international 767....especially with greater upgrade chances.
However, some people need to get places in a timely manner...obviously I know I'm not in the majority with this bunch.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 7:18 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by channa
There are a ton of companies in MSP.
There are a ton of companies in every city in the world. That doesn't mean there's lots of elite traffic.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 7:21 pm

There are a ton of companies in every city in the world. That doesn't mean there's lots of elite traffic.
But there is a lot of elite traffic on this route. Clearing DEN-MSP can actually be challenging at peak times. Lots of 1K and GS - lots of them originating out of SFO.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 7:22 pm

Well, if it happens, it'll be interesting to see how it works.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:02 pm

Well, I am just waiting for Northwest/Delta to announce Chicago to San Francisco. , and add 2-3 757's on the MSP-SFO route. And triple miles for all!!
Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
I would have welcomed this the two years I spent traveling to MSP every month (when DEN-MSP was on a 727).

To clarify, not only are there many big companies in MSP, but many big companies with stores spread all over the US (Target and Best Buy to name but a few).
Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Lightman7
I would have welcomed this the two years I spent traveling to MSP every month (when DEN-MSP was on a 727).
My main DEN-MSP memory (from several trips) is bouncing back and forth between two gates in DEN at 10pm, trying to figure out whether the 6pm or 8pm 737 would leave first, and wondering how late the rental car center in MSP would stay open. Stuck with the late flight, arriving at 1:10am; the early one was reported to have arrived at 3:30am.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:22 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by flyingrox
Well, I am just waiting for Northwest/Delta to announce Chicago to San Francisco. , and add 2-3 757's on the MSP-SFO route. And triple miles for all!!
It appears you are the only person to post what I suspect will happen...or at least DEN-SFO as ORD-SFO would piss off another company that is as big as UA at ORD.

This route has been I my own personal "want list" forever, but I am sure that whoever/whatever p[lans routes knows about the coincidental DEN-LAX flying by NW, the day after F9 announced MSP-LAX, and the fact that as soon as F9 stopped their route, NW stopped theirs.

MSP has a lot of BIG $$ business, between manufacturing and mining companies in MN, to consulting firms, and NW is known for their high fares too. IF UA wanted to fly this route, why wouldn't they have flown it during an "up" time in the economic cycle? My guess is airrumors.net is as credible as it is reputed to be, and should never be brought onto this board.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.