Go Back   > > >
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 18, 09, 3:02 am   #46
  
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: SNA, LAX
Programs: UA GM
Posts: 2,768
Really if so when?

[KVS Availability Tool 5.0.1/Diamond - ITA: Awards-Upgrades/X1/US-X1]
Code:
SFO  San Francisco Int'l CA US [KSFO]
MSP  Minneapolis St Paul Int'l MN US [KMSP]
SUN  22 Nov 2009

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------------------------
UA         157     SFO   10:48     MSP   16:28     320  0   F9 P9 A9 Y9 B9 E9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 T0 S9 K9 L0 G0 XY6 NY7 XF8 NF7 XC0 NC0
ual744777sta is offline  
Old Jul 18, 09, 4:14 am   #47
  
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Posts: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanroberts View Post
And now this route seems to have gone. My November itinerary on it has switched to SFO - DEN - MSP.
.bomb flight search still pulls up the nonstops on random dates in November, January, and March.

Maybe there was some other reason your itin changed?
dfreeman02 is offline  
Old Jul 18, 09, 5:14 am   #48
  
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
Posts: 441
Thanks.

So they've moved the flight 2 hours earlier. Not unreasonably the software seems to prioritize keeping you on a flight close to your original departure time. A quick phone call, and back on the non-stop.

The timetable feature on the website still shows UA94 at 12:50 rather than UA157 at 10:48 on 11/19.
evanroberts is offline  
Old Jul 19, 09, 1:10 pm   #49
  
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: LAS - I'm All In!
Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Posts: 3,589
1048a is a much better departure - you'll have a lot less long layover after asia flights...
trekwars2000 is offline  
Old Jul 19, 09, 1:31 pm   #50
  
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
Posts: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekwars2000 View Post
1048a is a much better departure - you'll have a lot less long layover after asia flights...
Yes, obvious reason they changed. It now won't connect with the Sydney flight (10:43 scheduled arrival), but I'm sure UA has actual data about how many go SYD - SFO - MSP. Probably not many.
evanroberts is offline  
Old Jul 19, 09, 2:35 pm   #51
  
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Slightly to the left of center
Posts: 3,372
Thread title could be updated to remove "rumor"
DBCme is offline  
Old Aug 9, 09, 11:34 pm   #52
  
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: RIC
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAL awesome View Post
What about a LAX-MSP flight on UA? UA does pretty well in MSP and this is another NW monopoly route. And what about SFO-DTW?
DTW is almost exclusively United Express now. I think it has one (maybe two) mainline frequencies to Chicago ... no chance the station could support SFO-DTW, overflying two hubs.
rch4u is online now  
Old Dec 26, 09, 5:12 pm   #53
  
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: somewhere between ORD and Willis Tower
Programs: UA 1K Costco EM, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfreeman02 View Post
.bomb flight search still pulls up the nonstops on random dates in November, January, and March.

Maybe there was some other reason your itin changed?
just had a sched change, put on MSP-SFO n/s, dep 1625 arr 1825, on a Saturday in March, 319, weird weird timing - not sure what it connects to in SFO for intl - seems too early for SYD dep ... can't imagine this flight would be for dom conx.
ordogg is offline  
Old Dec 26, 09, 5:31 pm   #54
  
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: RIC
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by ordogg View Post
just had a sched change, put on MSP-SFO n/s, dep 1625 arr 1825, on a Saturday in March, 319, weird weird timing - not sure what it connects to in SFO for intl - seems too early for SYD dep ... can't imagine this flight would be for dom conx.
It's like MSP-SFO has permanently moved to an afternoon departure - not just on Saturdays.
rch4u is online now  
Old Jan 6, 10, 4:40 pm   #55
  
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF (Bernal Heights)
Programs: UA GS MM; Sofitel Privilege, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, HH, Hertz Pres Circle
Posts: 168
pm departure is good news

hooray for the 4:30pm n/s to SFO - usually try to take an evening departure back and end up going through ORD or DEN, cheaper than staying the night for the morning n/s.

I fly this route pretty regularly and try to go for the n/s as often as I can, have noticed what appear to be connecting pax from the Asian bank on the way to MSP, but not as many on the way to SFO. Not sure why that is.

I've been worried about the status of this flight as it is never full - sometimes only 60%, maybe the afternoon departure will help it pick up more pax (and some of the consultant traffic between the two cities).
flyswim is offline  
Old Jan 8, 10, 2:50 pm   #56
  
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 8,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyswim View Post
I've been worried about the status of this flight as it is never full - sometimes only 60%, maybe the afternoon departure will help it pick up more pax (and some of the consultant traffic between the two cities).
A good way to circumvent the IAD-SFO almost non-upgradeable nonstops and add some xtra miles along the way.
cesco.g is offline  
Old Jan 9, 10, 9:29 am   #57
  
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Posts: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
A good way to circumvent the IAD-SFO almost non-upgradeable nonstops and add some xtra miles along the way.
There's no nonstop IAD-MSP. Are you suggesting IAD-ORD-MSP-SFO? That doesn't sound worth it for an extra 500 miles (2935 vs. 2419).
dfreeman02 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 10, 11:18 pm   #58
  
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Posts: 1,373
Took SFO-MSP today for the first time -- there must have been about 30 people on the plane: 8 in F, ~10 in E+, and ~12 in E-.

I go to MSP to visit family about 2x/yr, and it's wonderful to have the nonstop. I hope that today's load was unusually light, and that the route stays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rch4u View Post
It's like MSP-SFO has permanently moved to an afternoon departure - not just on Saturdays.
Indeed it has, effective Feb. 13. I'm going back via DEN to avoid the 7am departure.
dfreeman02 is offline  
Old May 16, 13, 11:54 am   #59
  
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
Posts: 441
Having now taken this flight several times a year since its inception it's become harder to upgrade every time I've flown (As Premier Executive I was about 30th on the u/g list and 80% of an A320 boarded in Group 2 or higher last time I did it), and the timetable shows it going to two a day on some days in summer 2013, with the addition of a morning flight.

So at least from my anecdotal impression this flight shows that sometimes you gotta stick in a market for a while. MSP seems a secondary market for UA that it's worth taking seriously. Going inter-continental DL offers you non-stop to Tokyo, Amsterdam and Paris (with good connections beyond), and non-stop with no connections to London. UA with its flights to SFO, IAD, ORD and EWR offers a domestic connection, and then the international flight to the secondary European/Asian cities. Not clear if you're doing a lot of international flying that DL is really much better.
evanroberts is offline  
Old May 16, 13, 7:10 pm   #60
  
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco
Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 6,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanroberts View Post
Having now taken this flight several times a year since its inception it's become harder to upgrade every time I've flown (As Premier Executive I was about 30th on the u/g list and 80% of an A320 boarded in Group 2 or higher last time I did it), and the timetable shows it going to two a day on some days in summer 2013, with the addition of a morning flight.

So at least from my anecdotal impression this flight shows that sometimes you gotta stick in a market for a while. MSP seems a secondary market for UA that it's worth taking seriously. Going inter-continental DL offers you non-stop to Tokyo, Amsterdam and Paris (with good connections beyond), and non-stop with no connections to London. UA with its flights to SFO, IAD, ORD and EWR offers a domestic connection, and then the international flight to the secondary European/Asian cities. Not clear if you're doing a lot of international flying that DL is really much better.
This flight is very difficult. I find it ridiculous how underserved SFO is to spokes in the midwest. Very little deviation in the times too.

Being a 319 most of the time I regularly see 30-40+ people on the UG list for this flight, especially the return.
demkr is offline  
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top