Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Rumor - UA To Start MSP To SFO in Summer '09?

Rumor - UA To Start MSP To SFO in Summer '09?

Old Jul 18, 2009, 3:02 am

Really if so when?

[KVS Availability Tool 5.0.1/Diamond - ITA: Awards-Upgrades/X1/US-X1]
Code:
SFO  San Francisco Int'l CA US [KSFO]
MSP  Minneapolis St Paul Int'l MN US [KMSP]
SUN  22 Nov 2009

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------------------------
UA         157     SFO   10:48     MSP   16:28     320  0   F9 P9 A9 Y9 B9 E9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 T0 S9 K9 L0 G0 XY6 NY7 XF8 NF7 XC0 NC0
Old Jul 18, 2009, 4:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by evanroberts
And now this route seems to have gone. My November itinerary on it has switched to SFO - DEN - MSP.
.bomb flight search still pulls up the nonstops on random dates in November, January, and March.

Maybe there was some other reason your itin changed?
Old Jul 18, 2009, 5:14 am

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
Thanks.

So they've moved the flight 2 hours earlier. Not unreasonably the software seems to prioritize keeping you on a flight close to your original departure time. A quick phone call, and back on the non-stop.

The timetable feature on the website still shows UA94 at 12:50 rather than UA157 at 10:48 on 11/19.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
1048a is a much better departure - you'll have a lot less long layover after asia flights...
Old Jul 19, 2009, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
1048a is a much better departure - you'll have a lot less long layover after asia flights...
Yes, obvious reason they changed. It now won't connect with the Sydney flight (10:43 scheduled arrival), but I'm sure UA has actual data about how many go SYD - SFO - MSP. Probably not many.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 2:35 pm

Thread title could be updated to remove "rumor"
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:04 pm
Suspended

What about a LAX-MSP flight on UA? UA does pretty well in MSP and this is another NW monopoly route. And what about SFO-DTW?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by UAL awesome
What about a LAX-MSP flight on UA? UA does pretty well in MSP and this is another NW monopoly route. And what about SFO-DTW?
DTW is almost exclusively United Express now. I think it has one (maybe two) mainline frequencies to Chicago ... no chance the station could support SFO-DTW, overflying two hubs.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
.bomb flight search still pulls up the nonstops on random dates in November, January, and March.

Maybe there was some other reason your itin changed?
just had a sched change, put on MSP-SFO n/s, dep 1625 arr 1825, on a Saturday in March, 319, weird weird timing - not sure what it connects to in SFO for intl - seems too early for SYD dep ... can't imagine this flight would be for dom conx.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by ordogg
just had a sched change, put on MSP-SFO n/s, dep 1625 arr 1825, on a Saturday in March, 319, weird weird timing - not sure what it connects to in SFO for intl - seems too early for SYD dep ... can't imagine this flight would be for dom conx.
It's like MSP-SFO has permanently moved to an afternoon departure - not just on Saturdays.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 2 MM; , SPG Plat Amb/LTP, Marriott Gold, HH, Hertz Pres Circle
pm departure is good news

hooray for the 4:30pm n/s to SFO - usually try to take an evening departure back and end up going through ORD or DEN, cheaper than staying the night for the morning n/s.

I fly this route pretty regularly and try to go for the n/s as often as I can, have noticed what appear to be connecting pax from the Asian bank on the way to MSP, but not as many on the way to SFO. Not sure why that is.

I've been worried about the status of this flight as it is never full - sometimes only 60%, maybe the afternoon departure will help it pick up more pax (and some of the consultant traffic between the two cities).
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyswim
I've been worried about the status of this flight as it is never full - sometimes only 60%, maybe the afternoon departure will help it pick up more pax (and some of the consultant traffic between the two cities).
A good way to circumvent the IAD-SFO almost non-upgradeable nonstops and add some xtra miles along the way.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
A good way to circumvent the IAD-SFO almost non-upgradeable nonstops and add some xtra miles along the way.
There's no nonstop IAD-MSP. Are you suggesting IAD-ORD-MSP-SFO? That doesn't sound worth it for an extra 500 miles (2935 vs. 2419).
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:18 pm

Took SFO-MSP today for the first time -- there must have been about 30 people on the plane: 8 in F, ~10 in E+, and ~12 in E-.

I go to MSP to visit family about 2x/yr, and it's wonderful to have the nonstop. I hope that today's load was unusually light, and that the route stays!

Originally Posted by rch4u
It's like MSP-SFO has permanently moved to an afternoon departure - not just on Saturdays.
Indeed it has, effective Feb. 13. I'm going back via DEN to avoid the 7am departure.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:54 am

Having now taken this flight several times a year since its inception it's become harder to upgrade every time I've flown (As Premier Executive I was about 30th on the u/g list and 80% of an A320 boarded in Group 2 or higher last time I did it), and the timetable shows it going to two a day on some days in summer 2013, with the addition of a morning flight.

So at least from my anecdotal impression this flight shows that sometimes you gotta stick in a market for a while. MSP seems a secondary market for UA that it's worth taking seriously. Going inter-continental DL offers you non-stop to Tokyo, Amsterdam and Paris (with good connections beyond), and non-stop with no connections to London. UA with its flights to SFO, IAD, ORD and EWR offers a domestic connection, and then the international flight to the secondary European/Asian cities. Not clear if you're doing a lot of international flying that DL is really much better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.