Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

EQM Limit from Chase Mileage Plus Platinum Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EQM Limit from Chase Mileage Plus Platinum Visa

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by thecortex
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I just received an offer to "upgrade" my Platinum Class card to the Select card from Chase. They've offered me 10,000 RDM to make the switch. As far as I can tell the major advantage of the Platinum Class card is the chance to earn an additional 5000 EQM/year by hitting the $350000 spend threshold. Since I now earn status by segments (but haven't always) I'm considering making the switch. Am I missing any other advantages to the Platinum Class card? Needless to say the Chase brochure is only focused on the advantages of the new card.
I may be wrong but I think the new cards exclude the choices benefit.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:16 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I just received an offer to "upgrade" my Platinum Class card to the Select card from Chase. They've offered me 10,000 RDM to make the switch. As far as I can tell the major advantage of the Platinum Class card is the chance to earn an additional 5000 EQM/year by hitting the $350000 spend threshold. Since I now earn status by segments (but haven't always) I'm considering making the switch. Am I missing any other advantages to the Platinum Class card? Needless to say the Chase brochure is only focused on the advantages of the new card.
Have you been getting the full $140 fee waiver (if your platinum card was opened/upgraded before 2006)? If so, I think you will lose that, and get only a $60 partial fee waiver, if you upgrade your card again to the new cards.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5* Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sfmaus
After that it's a 10k per year max
That had been my experience up to this year; however, I received a 'challenge' from Chase that offered 3k EQM which raised my yearly bonus to 13k. So, it appears possible to exceed the 10k/year limit.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond

Originally Posted by SGJazz

I may be wrong but I think the new cards exclude the choices benefit.
I called Chase on this as losing the Choices benefit would be a big minus for me. According to the rep the new cards do accrue Choices - the only differences between the Plat and Select cards are the earning rate on .bomb purcases (3/$ vs. 2), 5000 anniversary miles instead of companion cert and the lack of the 5,000 EQM for the $35,000 in annual spend. I'm still on the fence about making the switch because of the loss of the 5,000 EQM but the CO Presidential Plus card offers the even better Flex EQM benefit assuming it's preserved with the merger.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Chasing Chase EQM's

Originally Posted by gras
That had been my experience up to this year; however, I received a 'challenge' from Chase that offered 3k EQM which raised my yearly bonus to 13k. So, it appears possible to exceed the 10k/year limit.
Not sure how this will play out, but some additional data points for fellow FT'ers. Unless you've a MP Pt Visa it's not worth reading this lengthy post, but if you do, my experience may be helpful.

BACKGROUND:
I've a Chase Platinum Class Visa - which at the time of acquiring offered:
1 EQM for every $ spent on .bomb up to 5K EQM and
5K EQM, if you spent $35K/yr.

In addition, I received (and met) the above "challenge - the particular one I got was for 2K EQM's for spending $3K/mos for 3 mos. ending 6/30/2010.

In tracking my EQM's it's possible to get a little breakdown on .bomb - mine had been holding steady at 10K EQM since about June (this was for 5K EQM for a UA promotion last year and 5K EQM for credit card purchases on .bomb - all of which posted as promised.)

I called Chase about two months ago about the "challenge" and was told that was in the works and the 2K EQM's should post in a 6 - 8 weeks, but they hadn't appeared. I asked that a note be put in my record, confirming that I'd registered for this promotion and called about the miles - and this was done.

PUZZLING POSTS ON .BOMB
I noticed .bomb on "My Activity" that there was a 5000 mile post from Chase on 1 Oct. This didn't end up in my EQM account (which was still holding at 10,000 EQM).

CALL TO MP:
I called MP (moderate hold, then got an overseas call center) and a pleasant but inept rep. (e.g., I had to spend $35K on UA tickets to get 5K EQM, she couldn't tell me what the 5K miles posted on 1 Oct. was for, I twice asked for a supervisor, but never got one and gave up after about 20 minutes).

FAILED EMAIL LINK TO MP
Tried to contact UA MP, using the email link provided.
The link: http://faq.ua2go.com/display/4n/kb/a...=1&r=0.8551406

The result if you click on the link:
Server Error in '/' Application.
The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested Url: /display/4n/kb/atr/index.aspx

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2443; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2407

CALL TO CHASE - SOME PROGRESS
Then called Chase - got a cordial and knowledgeable US based rep. who was familiar w/ the Chase Visa program. She confirmed I'd spenT 35K and 5K EQM's were sent to MP and that I'd met the "challenge" and should get 2K EQM's but she saw no record of the 2K EQM's being sent to MP.

She then called MP (and was able to get to a somewhat knowledgeable supervisor) and we had a three-way conversation. MP said the EQM's had never been sent to MP. I asked about the posting of 5K miles on 1 October, said that didn't match any credit card spend and it seemed to be EQM's misposted to RDM's. She (MP Supervisor) read a line associated w/ the Oct. 1 posting of 5K miles, which mentioned that it was an award of 5K EQM's for credit card spend. She still maintained that the status miles have never been sent to MP!

This is troubling, when 5K miles appear in my account, MP supervisor can read that they are EQM's and still say that the missing EQM's were Chase's fault in not sending them in.

My Chase rep. thanked the MP Supervisor. The Chase rep said she would escalate the matter to a supervisor in Chase - actually it would take two interventions as neither the 5K from credit card spend nor the 2K from the challenge had posted (the latter was because Chase never sent 'em over"

10K EQM LIMIT
I asked if there was a 10K limit on EQM's and perhaps that was causing the problem. She replied that that limit shouldn't apply to me in this situation and not to my card.

She made a note in her calendar to follow up in exactly 1 week and call back to let me know the status.

PRACTICE POINTERS:
Monitor your EQM's w/ a spreadsheet.
If something's missing, call Chase
DON"T CALL UA Mileage Plus - they're a waste of time.
Decide if the grief is worth the benefit - (my GM card gives 5 % credit towards a new car, sure there are other cards w/ interesting promotions)
Don't wait till December to resolve these issues - the stock respons seems to be 6 - 8 weeks and if you're counting on the EQM's you could be out of luck.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 3:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bucketlist
PRACTICE POINTERS:
If something's missing, call Chase
DON"T CALL UA Mileage Plus - they're a waste of time.
Many of us have found the secure messaging system at the Chase site the fastest and least time consuming approach for Chase EQM questions.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:41 pm

BACKGROUND:
I've a Chase Platinum Class Visa - which at the time of acquiring offered:
1 EQM for every $ spent on .bomb up to 5K EQM and
5K EQM, if you spent $35K/yr.
I have the same card. If you don't, skip this post. Nothing to see here...

PUZZLING POSTS ON .BOMB
I noticed .bomb on "My Activity" that there was a 5000 mile post from Chase on 1 Oct. This didn't end up in my EQM account (which was still holding at 10,000 EQM).
I also have the 5k RDM post on 1 OCT.

In the past Chase RDM deposits were shown as:
* CHASE UNITED AIRLINES PURCHASE
* MP VISA ONBOARD PURCHASE
* CHASE EVERYDAY PURCHASE
* CHASE VISA PURCHASES
This has been the breakdown for roughly two years.

Note: My "challenge" also included RDMs, which posted for me on 1 August as CHASE SPEND PROMOTION. The 3k EQMs posted a week earlier (20 July).

On 1 Oct, rather than the four categories I expected, I received the following in my UA MP account:
5,000 CHASE CREDIT CARD PURCHASES
1,119 CHASE CREDIT CARD PURCHASES

My Chase statement reads:
Miles earned from United purchases: 964
Miles earned from everyday purchases: 3,028
Miles earned this statement from purchases: 1,119
EQM bonus for $35,000 in annual purchases: 5,000
Total miles earned this statement: 10,111
Year to date miles earned on credit card: <big number>

(Bolding mine)

Like you, I think Chase may have sent over the wrong type of miles.

I am about to send a secure email to chase.

PRACTICE POINTERS:
+10
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:45 pm

Like you, I think Chase may have sent over the wrong type of miles.

I am about to send a secure email to chase.
Here is the response I received:
Dear gras,

Chase is aware of the delay in posting of the October
miles. This issue is currently being addressed and the
all miles should be posted to your frequent flyer account
within the next few days. I apologize for the
inconvenience that this issue may have caused you.

If you have any further questions, please reply using the
Secure Message Center.

Thank you,

E-mail Customer Service Representative
I guess we will see what happens...
Old Oct 10, 2010, 6:24 am

Update:

The missing RDMs were posted to my account on 9 Oct.
They posted as CHASE CREDIT CARD PURCHASES on 1 Oct.

I still have 5k 'extra' RDMs and 5k 'missing' EQMs...
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:04 pm

I'm having the same problem - received 5000 RDMs instead of 5000 EQMs for $35,000 spend. I've called Chase and spoke to a supervisor who promised to investigate. I've also sent a secure message.

I'll update when this issue is resolved. I am guessing that since our Platinum card is no longer offered, Chase's system isn't classifying the miles properly.

Update:

The missing RDMs were posted to my account on 9 Oct.
They posted as CHASE CREDIT CARD PURCHASES on 1 Oct.

I still have 5k 'extra' RDMs and 5k 'missing' EQMs...
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:23 am

Response from Chase:

I apologize that the 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) were incorrectly posted to your frequent flyer account as bonus miles. This issue is currently being addressed and corrections should be made to your frequent flyer account by the end of October. I apologize for the inconvenience that this issue may have caused you.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.94MM, Marriott Titanium
Chase EQM Bonus posting as RDM?

On the 1st of October, I noticed the item EQM CHASE BONUS 5,000 on "My Activity Details" on .bomb. However, a quick review of my MP spreadsheet showed that these credited as RDM instead of EQM. I called to inquire last week with no resolution and got a call back this week ^ saying they are still working on it . Both times, the answer was that this was an unknown problem between Chase and UA.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Note: The 5,000 EQM are for >$35,000 annual spend on Chase CC.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The problem is discussed in the link below (not easy to find, it's about 5 pages or so down on the UA threads).

The suggestion made was to use Chase's secure messaging system.

My attempts (phone calls to UA MP and to Chase) haven't worked so far, it will be one week tomorrow.

link:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...inum-visa.html
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:17 pm

My phone call worked. Chase customer service said they would research it for me. They did and sent me a detailed accounting through snail mail.
It may take a cycle or two after your MP charge on .bomb for the EQM to show up, but they have for me.
RDM show up more quickly typically.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.94MM, Marriott Titanium
The problem is discussed in the link below (not easy to find, it's about 5 pages or so down on the UA threads).

The suggestion made was to use Chase's secure messaging system.

My attempts (phone calls to UA MP and to Chase) haven't worked so far, it will be one week tomorrow.

link:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...inum-visa.html
Thanks, I'll try Chase's secure messaging system if MP doesn't give me a response in the next day or so.

This is indeed an odd titled thread for this question considering it has nothing to do with a platinum visa or EQM limits!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.