Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Revised Star Alliance Lounge Access Rules (Updated 2010)

Revised Star Alliance Lounge Access Rules (Updated 2010)

Old Dec 23, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kevinsac
This "Customer must be departing from the local airport in International First Class" I believe is new, right?
Yes, this is new
Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Previously, in my experience, when I had a same-day Star Alliance flight in international F, I was admitted to the F lounge at every airport that day (e.g., flying UA from LAX to SFO and connecting to a Singapore Air flight in F, I would get international first class lounge access at LAX and SFO). No longer. Now, I would only get access at SFO. At LAX, I can go to the Red Carpet Club.

Originally Posted by Tiojelly
For the OP and other * Gold passengers (especially non MP) it should not be an issue to have access. The issue seems more of an issue for non *golf C and F cabin passengers.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Read it again. Award tickets are treated as revenue passengers.

Originally Posted by RonDace
There is a definition of a revenue customer at the end of the text, but there is no mention of a revenue customer anywhere in the text. Is there something else that restricts something to revenue customers that we should be aware of? When I am flying on an award ticket does not being a revenue customer restrict something for me?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:27 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
So does this mean if I fly, for example, LHR-FRA-SIN, I wouldn't get access to F lounge because LH doesn't have F cabin for LHR-FRA?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Ag
Absurd.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
If anything, *A is now in-line with UA. Seeing as such, this should probably be in the *A forum.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

If enforced as written, yes, that's what it means.

Originally Posted by kkjay77
So does this mean if I fly, for example, LHR-FRA-SIN, I wouldn't get access to F lounge because LH doesn't have F cabin for LHR-FRA?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
I don't see the exclusion of Canada as an international destination. Is that gone? If so, that is a plus.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 7:00 pm

Even more confusing, the German version is pretty different. E.g. no mention of the "same day means 24h" rule which is really a pity when it comes to a layover over night.
Also domestic flights are not mentioned at all (neither C nor F).
Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:19 pm

Programs: UAGM (former 1P), Hilton Gold (former Diamond), heading for dirt.
Mind must be missing.

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Read it again. Award tickets are treated as revenue passengers.
Thanks. I must have missed a comma or something but after re-re-reading it it finally sunk in. My dumb!
Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
No more access for UA/US *G when overseas!!!!

United and US Airways Star Alliance Gold customers are only eligible for lounge access when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight

Egads! The above should say "eligible for RCC lounge access within the USA" As written it could be interpreted as meaning that a UA/US *G no longer gets lounge access when travelling domestically outside of the USA.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BrisbanePE
Egads! The above should say "eligible for RCC lounge access within the USA" As written it could be interpreted as meaning that a UA/US *G no longer gets lounge access when travelling domestically outside of the USA.
Well, technically UA/US flights are also *A flight, so lounge access oversea shouldn't be a problem, but Canada does become a problem as carrier treat all US-CDN flight as domestic.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
Originally Posted by beanex
Well, technically UA/US flights are also *A flight, so lounge access oversea shouldn't be a problem, but Canada does become a problem as carrier treat all US-CDN flight as domestic.
You are missing the point. The new wording implies that UA/US *G will not get lounge access when travelling on domestic itineraries outside the USA eg intra-Europe. The lounge access restriction (unless they really have changed the rules) applies only to RCC access within the USA.

And Canada is "international" for lounge access purposes as far as the RCC is concerned.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
You are missing the point. The new wording implies that UA/US *G will not get lounge access when travelling on domestic itineraries outside the USA eg intra-Europe. The lounge access restriction (unless they really have changed the rules) applies only to RCC access within the USA.

And Canada is "international" for lounge access purposes as far as the RCC is concerned.
Thanks for the clarification, it does seem ambiguous about intra-europe domestic.

By the way, it seems like only the English edition is changed, so technical, if you speak other language, you can still argue back.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 12:00 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold

If you're being that literal, only intra-country non-US itineraries would fall under this restriction.. for example flying MUC-FRA on LH. FRA-CDG on LH is most definitely international since you're going from one nation to another.

Then again, I think you're reading too much into this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.