Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Red Carpet Club Membership, Miles or $$?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2008, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Red Carpet Club Membership, Miles or $$?

What is the best for joining the Red Carpet Club, using miles or paying cash. I a 1K member, so it is $300, or 40,000 miles.

Your thoughts?

Surf40
Old Nov 23, 2008, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Is $300 worth 40k miles to you? It's hard to answer that for you... I suppose the easiest way to compare is that it's nearly a standard domestic coach award. But welcome to FT!
Old Nov 23, 2008, 6:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT Surf40

As gengar writes, this is an very individual decision. partially based on what else you would plan to do with the $$ or miles, which you feel you have the most/extra?

A general rule many use for miles is to get >1cpm (cents per mile), targeting closer to 2cpms. Using miles for upgrades or premium class award seats can equate to much more than 2 cpm but those may not work for everyone.

UA sells miles to individuals for 3 cpms (but many think that is too pricey).

But if you have the miles and no better use for them, than it saves $$$
Old Nov 23, 2008, 6:41 pm

Programs: Sexy UA 1K
also depends on what you want to do with your miles.
If you have a large balance and do not see any use of it in the near term, then I would use miles. I always use my miles for RCC membership because I know they can devalue. UA can turn around and want to charge you 50K next year...
Old Nov 23, 2008, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K & GS
the $300 is a better deal than using the miles. you can get better deals on magazine subscriptions and stuff than the .0075 cents per mile paying 40,000 miles would offer you.

i am also assuming that you are not travelling all your miles in first/business and have no opportunities to use those miles to upgrade (which you should do quick before the co-pay kicks in)

good luck deciding
Old Nov 23, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Use miles for RCC membership. UA's fraudulent starnet blocking leaves little scope for using miles on intl award tickets on *A carriers, and availability on UA is no better.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
I use miles for mine, as I only book award travel for personal intl trips. I only travel on awards once a year so it is a no brainer for me.

I would rather save the $300 as I travel enough to make up for the miles with my business travel.

This is really a choice where there is no "right" or "wrong" answer as each person has different views.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 8:16 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Million Miler
I find little use for the miles, so that is how I buy the RCC membership. Your mileage may vary!
Old Nov 23, 2008, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K (woohoo), SPG Gold, HH Diamond, MR Silver, Avis Worst, National Exec Elite; Destinations Many
I just spent 45k miles last week for an RCC membership. I was tired of sitting around airports (ORD/IAD) and not doing anything.

I used miles, because I didnt feel like spending $400 - 1P.

I have already used my RCC for ORD, IAD, and USAIR in CLT, PHL BUF and RDU - it is a good deal IMHO
Old Nov 23, 2008, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Not sure if you can do this directly for the RCC membership, but with an MP Visa, you could pay $300 and use 30,000 Choices (against a flight, if not the RCC membership) to "pay" the visa bill - net 30k miles for RCC
Old Nov 23, 2008, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
Originally Posted by live4beach
Not sure if you can do this directly for the RCC membership, but with an MP Visa, you could pay $300 and use 30,000 Choices (against a flight, if not the RCC membership) to "pay" the visa bill - net 30k miles for RCC
Actually, you can only use the choices on UA.Com ticket purchases as far as I know.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
We always use miles for a husband/spouse membership. Have waay too many of them. At 45K for both of us its a good deal we think
Old Nov 23, 2008, 8:50 pm

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
I usually use miles because after spending money on some mileage runs to get to 1K, I don't want to give any more money to UA.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Kimpton Inner Circle
I can expense my RCC fee but if I couldn't, I'd pay with miles.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
What's the cost for membership these days? I'm seeing $375 for 1Ks, but when I log in it says $425?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.