FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Will UA Have A Problem Letting Others Use My F Seat? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/878647-will-ua-have-problem-letting-others-use-my-f-seat.html)

UAX_Brasilia Oct 19, 2008 1:37 pm

Will UA Have A Problem Letting Others Use My F Seat?

Will United have a problem letting someone from my family use my F seat on one leg while I use their coach seat?

Thanks in advance.

jhayes_1780 Oct 19, 2008 1:42 pm

no problem, as long as you don't keep switching back and forth (if it is a longer flight)... or if the seat is in an exit row and they are not qualified to sit there (under age, handicapped, etc).

noah Oct 19, 2008 2:14 pm

My advice is just to do the switch on board rather than trying to have the GA do it -- less confusing for everybody. I regularly have my wife take my upgraded seat if only 1 seat is available/is upgradable.

iluv2fly Oct 19, 2008 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by noah (Post 10544607)
My advice is just to do the switch on board rather than trying to have the GA do it -- less confusing for everybody. I regularly have my wife take my upgraded seat if only 1 seat is available/is upgradable.

I don't know if this is what noah meant, but I wouldn't even bother saying anything and go to the other's seat. The only time they might question you is if a male swaps for a female and the FA comes around with the manifest to ask you what you want to eat. Just tell them you wanted to switch with your spouse/child/significant other/parent/boss/client/whatever.

And also what jhayes said.

UAX_Brasilia Oct 19, 2008 2:35 pm

I was never going to try to have the GA try to change anything. This is how I would do it:

4 Pax total:

Pax 1 and 2 have the confirmed F seats and would sit in F on flight 1. Pax 3 and 4 would use pax 1 and 2 F seats on flight 2 while pax 1 and 2 use pax 3 and 4's coach seat on that flight 2.

And yes, there would be a change of gender. If I was going to tell anyone, I would just let the f/a know while getting on board.

gomike Oct 19, 2008 2:40 pm

yes you wont have a problem at all,

Benny8444 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 pm

I dont think the gender of the pax is on the manifest. I have done this with my dad, when I have cleared the UG list and he did not, i just handed him my BP and he took my seat. I have also done this with my mom and there was no problem.

iluv2fly Oct 19, 2008 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Benny8444 (Post 10544741)
I dont think the gender of the pax is on the manifest. I have done this with my dad, when I have cleared the UG list and he did not, i just handed him my BP and he took my seat. I have also done this with my mom and there was no problem.

Gender per se is not on the manifiest, but first names are. They might (and have seen them) question a male who is listed as Grace, Lucy or [insert typical female first names here] sitting in the seat (and vv, of course).

1k-all-the-way Oct 19, 2008 3:07 pm

Oddly, happily, i've been on the receiving end of this 2 lines in the last 2 months. Both done on board, once with the pursar knowing, the other more ad hoc. No probs either time.

jhayes_1780 Oct 19, 2008 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 10544760)
Gender per se is not on the manifiest, but first names are. They might (and have seen them) question a male who is listed as Grace, Lucy or [insert typical female first names here] sitting in the seat (and vv, of course).

Could the manifests now say MR/MS/MRS (like the BP's)?

iluv2fly Oct 19, 2008 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 (Post 10544786)
Could the manifests now say MR/MS/MRS (like the BP's)?

Good question - I don't know the answer.

Perhaps you should post this in the "Ask an FA" thread. :)

localkinegrindz Oct 19, 2008 3:57 pm

I've done this before AFTER meal service in F so I could sit with S.O. in Y and FA's didn't care, all they said was once the switch is made, can't switch back. Of course the random passenger in Y was more than happy to make the switch.

ethansma24 Oct 19, 2008 4:34 pm

I don't ever have a problem with people doing this. So long as the seat is paid for, what does it matter which person sits in it. Now when people are of the last to board and see an empty F seat, and try to sneak into it...that's a whole different story!!!

Bottom line, you should have no problem with this.

mahasamatman Oct 19, 2008 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 10544760)
They might (and have seen them) question a male who is listed as Grace, Lucy or [insert typical female first names here] sitting in the seat (and vv, of course).

My wife and I often swap seats. It does confuse them, but we've never had an issue other than that. Of course, we're both in the same cabin, so there's no question of impropriety.

lucky9876coins Oct 19, 2008 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 10544801)
Good question - I don't know the answer.

Perhaps you should post this in the "Ask an FA" thread. :)

I'm pretty sure it is, because I know the passenger across from me the other day was referred to as "Dr.," so I assume it would have Mr./Mrs./Ms./etc. as well.