Wiki Posts
Search

Schedule change, changing flight question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2008, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold
Schedule change, changing flight question

I have a question about schedule changes. I have read many times on these boards that with a schedule change, one can change the flights that they are on. My flights did not get cancelled; it just appears that each flight changed its takeoff time by about 5 minutes, but all my flight numbers are the same.

On my return flight, I am changing planes in Denver. I booked one with a 2+ hour layover because it was about $250 cheaper than one with a 80 minute layover, with plans to standby for the earlier flight. With the schedule change, can I now call United and get put on the earlier flight (without them laughing me off the phone)?

Thanks.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by NerveEnding
I have a question about schedule changes. I have read many times on these boards that with a schedule change, one can change the flights that they are on. My flights did not get cancelled; it just appears that each flight changed its takeoff time by about 5 minutes, but all my flight numbers are the same.

On my return flight, I am changing planes in Denver. I booked one with a 2+ hour layover because it was about $250 cheaper than one with a 80 minute layover, with plans to standby for the earlier flight. With the schedule change, can I now call United and get put on the earlier flight (without them laughing me off the phone)?
You didn't mention the direction of the five minutes or what your full itinerary is, but:

5 minutes? Highly unlikely. Granted, this is the kind of thing that "call back until you get a sympathetic agent" can help, but it's pretty unlikely. Common sense applies here (to any change less than 30 minutes); you need at least some sort of plausible story for why you need to change your flight, not just "because a two hour layover is more annoying than a one hour layover." Consider that it's quite likely that the later flight was $250 cheaper because the later flight had cheaper fare buckets available than the earlier flight.

And I think you agree that it's hard for just 5 minutes to really make for a plausible story to sell to an agent. If you think you're being so transparent that you'd get laughed off the phone, you probably would be. Generally you need to move to a flight in the opposite direction in time of how your schedule shifted. Something like "the departure moved 15 minutes earlier, and I can't get out of work by then so I need a later flight" often works. It really doesn't work to say "this flight moved earlier, which doesn't work for me, so, uh, can you put me on the even earlier flight."
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:47 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
I don't know that the agent would laugh, but they won't change the flight without charging you the change penalty and the difference in ticket price. Your flight must have changed by at least 90 minutes for them to consider a change with no charge to you.

Last edited by 6rugrats; Sep 16, 2008 at 10:55 am
Old Sep 16, 2008, 2:00 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by 6rugrats
I don't know that the agent would laugh, but they won't change the flight without charging you the change penalty and the difference in ticket price. Your flight must have changed by at least 90 minutes for them to consider a change with no charge to you.
Not really the original poster's situation, but what if a scheduling change of less than 90 minutes reduces a connection to below the minimum connection time at the connecting airport (or otherwise turns a relatively safe connection into one with a high probability of misconnecting)?
Old Sep 16, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by NerveEnding

Thanks.
No. You can always try to standby for free as planned or pay a fee for same-day confirmed standby.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by tjl
Not really the original poster's situation, but what if a scheduling change of less than 90 minutes reduces a connection to below the minimum connection time at the connecting airport (or otherwise turns a relatively safe connection into one with a high probability of misconnecting)?
If your new connection time falls below legal minimum connection time, then you can change you flights, possibly even routing.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
No. You can always try to standby for free as planned or pay a fee for same-day confirmed standby.
Perhaps you mean same-day confirmed change? There's no such thing as confirmed standby.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by 6rugrats
I've had success twice changing on sub-90 minute changes. IIRC, they were both 45-60 minutes and they didn't even question it. Last time was about 6 months ago, are they more aggressive about sticking to the 90 minutes now?
Old Sep 16, 2008, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 3card
are they more aggressive about sticking to the 90 minutes now?
Yes, but they will usually listen to reason.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Perhaps you mean same-day confirmed change? There's no such thing as confirmed standby.
Yes, you are correct. Thank you for the correct terminology.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.