Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot "Wings" for kids

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Pilot "Wings" for kids

I can't even remember the last time I saw UA hand these out, so I thought I'd post.

My wife, daughter, and I were travelling ORD-RDU a few days ago in Y. About 20 mins prior to landing, one of the FAs comes up and gives my daughter 2 of the plastic "pilot" wings. Of course my daughter was very excited as she's never received them before. It was probably a few years ago that I saw these and they had the adhesive backings. The wings we got actually had the pins in them.

Maybe UA found a couple of cases of them in the back of a warehouse.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:56 am

My daughter received them in February of this year as we were flying on her birthday and that was UA's gift to her.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:57 am

^ UA!

I remember a FA gave me a few "wings" a few years back, and I just found them in my closet yesterday!
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
Of all the discretionary and even frivolous expenses UAL sheds, the budget for these little wings is more than worth its weight in gold.

Bring back the kiddie activity packs!
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:01 pm

Well if you can't get pilot wings maybe you can get a "Junior TSA" badge.

I snapped this at DEN last week:
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
My son wanted a captains hat, but I set his sights lower on the wings. He was disapointed at the lack of any. I think they add to the magic of flying for the kids, just like liquor adds to the 'magic' for adults.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by jamesdenver
Well if you can't get pilot wings maybe you can get a "Junior TSA" badge.

I snapped this at DEN last week:
Yeah, my sister would love that....she has a permanent vendetta against airport security because they took her favorite ducky keychain away at JFK...5 years ago. But I guess she's the kind of person we want if we want to dismantle that disgrace of an agency.

Most kids actually respect pilots. Most kids I know don't respect TSA checkpoint monkeys. Some, like my sister, already despise them.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:04 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I'm still a kid at heart. I'm quite proud of my wings collection from the 1970's. Back when they were made out of metal and had a real pin backing... I have Eastern, Pan Am, National, Ozark, Wien Air Alaska just to name a few.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:05 pm

If you're going to give out little TSA badges for kids might as well give them “Junior Telemarketer” and “Future Repo-Man” stickers too
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat.
Originally Posted by jamesdenver
If you're going to give out little TSA badges for kids might as well give them “Junior Telemarketer” and “Future Repo-Man” stickers too
ROFL! That's hilarious!

The wings are available only to the pilots in their Flight-Ops department. Some of the "good guys" will grab stacks of them and give them to the FAs, to pass out, but others are less proactive. If you're traveling with your kids its always worth asking the FA to ask the pilot if they have any "kiddy-wings."
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:41 pm

Programs: CO One Pass
I have a set of plastic wings from Eastern Airlines ^^^
Old Jul 28, 2008, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Master PVDProf has some from a flight in March. They're pinned to the outer flap of his navy carry on (diaper bag) and look quite sharp. Advertisement for UA wherever he goes.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA-1K, CO-Elite, SPG-Platinum, Hertz 5*
On a recent flight to Orlando, the FO came back to my 6yr old son and gave him the wings, telling him that just in case they may need a "super secret backup pilot" and he'd call him if he needed him. Then he also invited him up to the cabin.

Pretty cool I thought as I haven't seen this a whole lately either and he was very excited.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 4:07 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
And then you have those pilots who subscribe to this train of thought:

https://crewroom.alpa.org/ualunity/D...609&Tabid=3213
Old Jul 28, 2008, 4:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I got a pair of wings while DEQM-running in May/June. Don't know what I've done with it, but I'm almost positive it has an adhesive backing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.