Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Questions Regarding UA's Type B DBCFREE Voucher [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions Regarding UA's Type B DBCFREE Voucher [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Ah, and I have another question, piggybacking on this thread

I have a DBC Free certificate, and I was told that it *is* transferrable, but the fellow (from the ICC) seemed to suggest that redemptions for someone other than myself are likely to be a pain.

Specifically, I'd have to either go to the airport with my friend OR submit the voucher in the mail along with a copy of gov't issued photo ID (I'm assuming my friend's) and wait for a return ticket in the mail issued to them, etc.

Am I overlooking less inconvenient options?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
They didnt charge me any taxes...is that standard? I thought even for free tickets you have to pay a booking fee and taxes?
If by "free" tickets you mean award tickets, those have booking fees (if you use the phone) and taxes. btw, most of us prefer using the phrase award or reward tickets, because they're not exactly "free" -- those miles were earned one way or another.

DBC FREE tickets have no additional charges. The gov't does not charge the security fees and such on free tickets, just on mileage award tickets. And UA waives booking fees when using paper certs/vouchers.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:48 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I thought even for free tickets you have to pay a booking fee and taxes? Also, can you standby for a later flight on the day of travel (only able to get the 6am flight) or can you switch flight times (not connection city or routing)
Free is free with DBCs. (Imagine that!)

The same standby rules apply as for regular travel, so yes, you can standby for later travel. Also, if there's inventory in the designated fare classes (V or W?) you can make changes to date/time/flight #, but not routing/destination.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:50 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Silver/Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by JHIN
If I have a DBCFREE voucher from a vol. bump.

It says "must ticket" by May 1, 2009 - does that mean travel must be complete by then?

If I am premier status and get E+ under normal circumstances by using this voucher will I get E+ seating?

It says not upgradeable BUT is that true or are there ways to upgrade like mileage, check in kiosks?

Thanks
I was able to upgrade mine (had the same wording) with e500s.

I have a DBC Free certificate, and I was told that it *is* transferrable, but the fellow (from the ICC) seemed to suggest that redemptions for someone other than myself are likely to be a pain.
It is transferable...I've been able to walk up to the agent and get it ticketed for my friend no problem.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
Specifically, I'd have to either go to the airport with my friend OR submit the voucher in the mail along with a copy of gov't issued photo ID (I'm assuming my friend's) and wait for a return ticket in the mail issued to them, etc.
IME, only you need to go. Call and book with reservations, and then just drop the voucher off at the nearest UA ticket counter. They will complete the ticket there (give you the receipt and the copy of the itinerary). There is a chance they will ask for your ID (not your friends), but YMMV.

Some have reported success mailing it in along with a short letter and a copy of ID (I've never tried it, so I don't know). YMMV
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Originally Posted by paytonc
Free is free with DBCs. (Imagine that!)

The same standby rules apply as for regular travel, so yes, you can standby for later travel. Also, if there's inventory in the designated fare classes (V or W?) you can make changes to date/time/flight #, but not routing/destination.
My DBCFREE reads roundtrip must be ticketed in W, V, or Q....
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriot LTP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UNITED863
Will RCC agents ticket these, or do I need to do this out front at ticketing?

I just had a voucher ticketed this weekend at the RCC and it couldn't have been easier. You must have the reservation and confirmation number, the agents will then do it for you.

One thing on mine...I was ticketed into classes L and T. Doesn't that mean I'll earn miles for these flights? I thought one was unable to do so with a free voucher.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Originally Posted by wcrhkd
I just had a voucher ticketed this weekend at the RCC and it couldn't have been easier. You must have the reservation and confirmation number, the agents will then do it for you.

One thing on mine...I was ticketed into classes L and T. Doesn't that mean I'll earn miles for these flights? I thought one was unable to do so with a free voucher.
If you ticketed with a DBCFREE ticket voucher, you will not earn miles regardless of class booked into.....
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriot LTP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nzpilot
If you ticketed with a DBCFREE ticket voucher, you will not earn miles regardless of class booked into.....
I was hoping...

It was interesting because in the past, these trips have always booked into W. It was a surprise seeing the L and T.

Thanks for setting me straight.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I just burned a bunch of these tonight. I had a very knowledgeable ORDRR agent who read some information from the profile for me (I am paraphrasing):
  • Once ticketed, there IS a 150.00 fee to change routing and or dates. And there must be availability in the required fare classes to be able to change.
  • As cepheid indicates, it is ticket by, NOT ticket and fly. You could actually ticket 330 out on this. However, the agent noted, once you pass the ticket by date (voucher expiration)..... you cannot make any changes to the ticket (even if you wanted to pay the fee).
  • If redeeming multiple DBC's, they can be on the same PNR (as long as dates/routing are the same).
  • If the DBC voucher is in your name,and you are ticketing for someone else you CAN include a letter with a copy of photo ID and use DTWRR/Ticket by mail.
  • The person becomes the traveller does NOT have to show up for anything (except for the flight) in order to have the ticket issued in thier name.

Now I am sure some will chime in and advise they have had different results, so YMMV ( I just felt this was a very qualified agent who "knew her stuff")
Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:55 am

FWIW, I believe you can change the actual final destination for a $150 fee, provided of course there's a 14-day advance notice for the outbound.
Old May 18, 2009, 5:39 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Questions about VDB voucher

So, I now have a VDB lower 48 voucher and was wondering if I get mileage credit for it. AFAIK, they book into S, W or Q so I should be able to get credit, no? The GA said she believed UA still did them, and that she used to get status by buying tickets on flights she knew were full and taking the VDB. Also, would it be eligible for DEQM?

Also, can I do a .bomb booking, put it on hold, and cash the voucher at the airport?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 18, 2009 at 5:51 pm Reason: moved to existing thread
Old May 18, 2009, 5:47 pm

Programs: United 1 k ;Hertz Gold; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Priority Club Gold; BMI Silver
vdb

Doesnt it answer these questions right on the ticket? I just got one and it is clear that no mileage plus credit will be given. Now that doesnt mean it couldnt happen by mistake but it seems unlikely.
Old May 18, 2009, 5:48 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Jimster
Doesnt it answer these questions right on the ticket? I just got one and it is clear that no mileage plus credit will be given. Now that doesnt mean it couldnt happen by mistake but it seems unlikely.
Crap, I missed that when I read it last time. I guess I can't depend on it.
Old May 18, 2009, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
No mileage, no EQM, no upgrades. That is why a lot of people here prefer the $$$ off ($300) which do get all of the above privileges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.