Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Questions Regarding UA's Type B DBCFREE Voucher [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions Regarding UA's Type B DBCFREE Voucher [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz 5*
Another Type B DBCFREE Voucher Question

Did a search, lot's of posts, but I didn't find any results for this specific question.

I've got a VDB Type B voucher. (Free ticket, not $$ off). Good for W, V, or Q class. Does this mean I can get a ticket no matter what as long as those fare classes are available on a flight? (It's not subject to award type inventory, correct?)

Is there a ticketing fee if I use it for my 3P daughter and not me 1k?

Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:39 am

No ticketing fee when using a paper certificate.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JLaw725
I've got a VDB Type B voucher. (Free ticket, not $$ off). Good for W, V, or Q class. Does this mean I can get a ticket no matter what as long as those fare classes are available on a flight? (It's not subject to award type inventory, correct?)
So long as they are actually selling Q, V, or W you can use the DBCFREE voucher. Just be careful because when you check the available fare basis/loads you might see Q, V, or W, but that doesn't always guarantee that UA is actually selling them. Usually this happens when the date gets very close to your flight though and there's a 14 day ticketing restriction on DBCFREEs so I've never run into this problem. The best thing to do is to try a fake booking at UA.com and if your fare basis comes up as Q, V, W, or anything lower you'll be OK.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
So long as they are actually selling Q, V, or W you can use the DBCFREE voucher. Just be careful because when you check the available fare basis/loads you might see Q, V, or W, but that doesn't always guarantee that UA is actually selling them. Usually this happens when the date gets very close to your flight though and there's a 14 day ticketing restriction on DBCFREEs so I've never run into this problem. The best thing to do is to try a fake booking at UA.com and if your fare basis comes up as Q, V, W, or anything lower you'll be OK.
So if I could find a 12-segment domestic itinerary with 11 stopovers, all on Q, V or W fares, that would be ticketable using DBCFREE?
Old Aug 22, 2008, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nigelloring
So if I could find a 12-segment domestic itinerary with 11 stopovers, all on Q, V or W fares, that would be ticketable using DBCFREE?
Stopovers are not permitted on DBCFREE. (Connections are allowed.)
One open jaw is permitted.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 4:21 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by gomike
No ticketing fee when using a paper certificate.
In theory. I've gotten charged 4 out of the last 5 times.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Stopovers are not permitted on DBCFREE. (Connections are allowed.)
One open jaw is permitted.
Thanks for the clarification. Is this the same for 25k award tickets?

I think AA sAAver tickets (their 25k domestic awards) allow 1 open jaw and 1 stopover.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nigelloring
Thanks for the clarification. Is this the same for 25k award tickets?
Basically. A UA 25K saver award for US48, Alaska, and Canada allows one open-jaw but no stopovers (on UA, awards within one geographic area do not permit stopovers).

The DBCFREE is similar, except that it is valid only for the US48 and it has much more flexible availability criteria.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 3:05 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by g_leyser
And I have NEVER been charged for ticketing a DBC voucher. You can be charged only if you give them your credit card or cash. Don't do it next time. Instead, ask for a supervisor.

BTW, you are also not supposed to be able to upgrade a DBC ticket, but I have done it twice, both times online using e500 milers.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 9:36 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by DCBob
And I have NEVER been charged for ticketing a DBC voucher. You can be charged only if you give them your credit card or cash. Don't do it next time. Instead, ask for a supervisor......
the problem i see is that "g" is the ticket by mail king so it's happening "out of sight" and he only finds out about it after the fact on the cc statement. the route i would follow is to call ua and tell them what happened. 2 hockey pucks says he would get a "new voucher" for the net of the ticketing fee charges
Old Aug 23, 2008, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
the problem i see is that "g" is the ticket by mail king so it's happening "out of sight" and he only finds out about it after the fact on the cc statement. the route i would follow is to call ua and tell them what happened. 2 hockey pucks says he would get a "new voucher" for the net of the ticketing fee charges
I have never been asked for a CC number when doing TBM for a DBCFREE.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 12:11 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

I should clarify:

I've been charged 4 out of the last 5 times when using paper certificates.

I've only redeemed one DBCFREE, and was NOT charged the ticket fee.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 4:59 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I should clarify:

I've been charged 4 out of the last 5 times when using paper certificates.

I've only redeemed one DBCFREE, and was NOT charged the ticket fee.
you still should not have been charged for using a paper cert. if there is paper involved (dbcfree or $$$ off), you cannot purchase on-line and because of that, any in-person and/or tix by mail ticketing fee is waived.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:03 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Originally Posted by goalie
you still should not have been charged for using a paper cert. if there is paper involved (dbcfree or $$$ off), you cannot purchase on-line and because of that, any in-person and/or tix by mail ticketing fee is waived.
Correct. And you better believe I got my money refunded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.