Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Questions Regarding UA's Type B DBCFREE Voucher [Merged]

Questions Regarding UA's Type B DBCFREE Voucher [Merged]

Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, UA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Here's an similar thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-dbc-free.html

I believe Ticket-by-Mail can be done.
I wonder if they have introduced a Fax line since then...
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
This is a big YMMV. Some stations will ticket vouchers issued to someone else, some don't. Until you ask, there's not much way to tell.

If you mail them to Dearborn, yes it works. Officially, I've been told by the 1K line that you need to send a copy of your ID and a copy of the traveler's ID, along with the voucher. I did that, and it worked.

Originally Posted by kevin80
Hello,

I have a voucher that was given to me by a colleague for a free ticket with listed fares on it. It will expire soon, and since he cannot use it, i asked ehim if i could have it. His name is on the voucher. He mailed me the voucher.

Now for my question. Does the person whose name appears on the voucher have to be present to apply it to a ticket or can having the voucher in hand be sufficient?

I ask only because i had a fare adjusted on a ticket during travel waiver time, and was sent a voucher through the mail for a dollar amount and on it's terms and conditions states the person whose name is on the voucher must be present when using, however i did not see this on the ticket vouchers i have.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old May 19, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
I used one $100 type B voucher to issue $99.70 ticket (including tax)

TA gave me $.30 refund acknowledgment customer copy.

I did not expect that since "no residual value balance on partially used coupons" is stated on the voucher.

Can I use $0.30 for next purchase?

I also called UA and asked "if I use two $100 type B vouchers for my $150 ticket, can I get $50 back?"

I was told YES... Is this true?
Old May 19, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Hi,
The agents can do whatever they want in the system, they have the "power." One agent might tell you no residual value, the agent next to them might give you a UA voucher for the residual value, and the agent next to them might refund the value to your credit card.

Your paperwork sounds like you got a refund but I'm not sure how they would have refunded it if there was no form of payment on the record besides the voucher.

Typically in these scenarios I've either been told no residual value or been given a UA voucher for the residual value.

If they gave you a $.30 voucher you would be able to use that as a form of payment for your next ticket <grin>

But just realize that each agent they might do it differently, and don't let that surprise you.
Old May 24, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, A3 GLD, AC ELT; AA EXP | SPG PLT, PC PLT, Hilton GLD, Hyatt PLT | National EXEC, Hertz 5*
ECert and Travel Credit

In the old days, there were Type A vouchers, which were combinable with Type B vouchers. Practically, Type A voucher deducts the base fare which would be reflected in the total amount on the receipt while Type B voucher is just a payment method like cash/credit card which will not affect the total amount on the receipt.

However, recently I hold a ticket applied with ecert. When I tried to apply Travel Credit from VDB on top of that, I was declined by UA 1K rep/supervisor and websupport. I was told neither ticketing department nor web support could handle this scenario. The web support mentioned to suggest such function at the end though.

Any one had similar experiences to combine ecert and travel credit, especially successful stories?

Thanks,
Teddy
Old May 24, 2011, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Since VDB vouchers are paper, and e-certs are electronic, I've never heard of anyone being able to combine the two. In general, e-certs can only be used online (or via web support) and physical vouchers can only be used in person or via ticket-by-mail. And never the twain shall meet.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, Library Card holder
Question about Tye B voucher refund

Hello, I had some expiring Type B Vouchers that I used to book a MR this weekend, along with a very small amount of money on my credit card. ROC-IAD-ORD-SAN-IAD-ROC. Fare basis TA0MN

Now that IAD is under a travel waiver, I want to investigate the possibility of getting new vouchers issued so I can use them at a later date. I can't specify the date now so I don't just want to use my one-time date change.

I just talked to the 1K desk and the nice lady informed me that my "best option" at this point is just to take a refund for the small cash value and write the vouchers off as gone. I said no thanks, and that I'd take my chances flying the itinerary and that hopefully United won't have to pay for a hotel for me.

Has anyone ever had success getting a cash refund or new vouchers issued for a travel waiver situation?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by K2BF
Hello, I had some expiring Type B Vouchers that I used to book a MR this weekend, along with a very small amount of money on my credit card. ROC-IAD-ORD-SAN-IAD-ROC. Fare basis TA0MN

Now that IAD is under a travel waiver, I want to investigate the possibility of getting new vouchers issued so I can use them at a later date. I can't specify the date now so I don't just want to use my one-time date change.

I just talked to the 1K desk and the nice lady informed me that my "best option" at this point is just to take a refund for the small cash value and write the vouchers off as gone. I said no thanks, and that I'd take my chances flying the itinerary and that hopefully United won't have to pay for a hotel for me.

Has anyone ever had success getting a cash refund or new vouchers issued for a travel waiver situation?
Negative. The vouchers are considered redeemed once your ticket is issued and they are non-refundable. Even under a weather waiver you are entitled to change your flights per the rules listed on UA.com. UA is on the hook to do that for you. However, unless your flight is cancelled you cannot get a refund. And honestly, even if your flight is cancelled and UA refunds you, I suspect they will only refund the cash portion of your ticket. Bottom line is that either way those vouchers are considered "used" and non-refundable. Even if you use vouchers on a refundable ticket the vouchers remain non-refundable.

You may get an agent who is willing to bend the rules and help you out but I suspect 99.999% of them will tell you no.

Edit: what you can do is call up and take out the IAD stop altogether and just go via ORD (I haven't looked up if UA serves ROC-ORD but I'm assuming they do). Or you could do ROC-CLE.
-RM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.