Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Questions Regarding UA's Type B DBCFREE Voucher [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:40 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by chewy3
You can change the routing for $100 on DBC Free ticket, however, in this case it should be free since they changed the schedule.
A minor schedule change that doesn't impact the passenger's ORIGINAL plans is not eligible for a free change to a different connecting city.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 8:36 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Question Type B Voucher for R/T - Transferable?

I am virtually certain that this question could be answered with a proper search, but I'm in a location with sloooooooooow connectivity so I ask forgiveness in advance for not finding it on my own.

I have a Type B Voucher for a free R/T (Profile: DBC Free) with the standard restrictions (W,V,Q class, must be booked 14+ days out, etc.) but I don't see any language about it being transferable other than that it can't be bartered or sold.

It's got my name on it. I have to ticket it by June 27. If I can't use it myself, can I give it away? It doesn't say non-transferable, but I know better than to go by what UA doesn't say on such vouchers.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 9, 2008, 5:24 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by davesfolhr
I am virtually certain that this question could be answered with a proper search
Indeed. A search for "DBCFREE" would yield a plethora of posts on this very topic. The short answer: yes, you can use it to book a trip for someone else, but you will need to do it yourself at the airport or through ticket-by-mail (i.e. phone + mail).

The long answer: search.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 7:24 am

Programs: SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
cepheid, thanks so much! Last night when I posted I was on a dial-up speed connection and just rendering HTML pages was a chore.

Now that I've got the office connection, it's search I shall. Thanks!

Originally Posted by cepheid
Indeed. A search for "DBCFREE" would yield a plethora of posts on this very topic. The short answer: yes, you can use it to book a trip for someone else, but you will need to do it yourself at the airport or through ticket-by-mail (i.e. phone + mail).

The long answer: search.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:19 am

I have never done this before...

I want to transfer my ticket to someone else, what is the easiest/ most effective way to do this?

Do I need to make this reservation for them? And if so do I have to do it over the phone, or can I do it when I go to the airport to sign over the ticket?

Any information would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:27 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Two methods are possible:

1. Make reservation on the phone or online and ticket it at the airport with the voucher within 48 hours.
2. Make reservation on the phone and inform them you would like to mail the voucher -- they will provide you with the necessary information to get this done.

The person you are transferring it to can also make the reservation. It is also possible to make the reservation at the airport but that will take additional time. Better to have the record locater # handy and they can ticket it immediately.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:35 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by cjs88
I have never done this before...

I want to transfer my ticket to someone else, what is the easiest/ most effective way to do this?

Do I need to make this reservation for them? And if so do I have to do it over the phone, or can I do it when I go to the airport to sign over the ticket?

Any information would be much appreciated! Thanks!
the dbcfree is transferable and can be ticketed for another person by their having them call and hold the reservation with the notation in the record that you will be "paying for it" with a dbcfree voucher or you can make the reservation and have it held. you then pay for it one of two ways and note that there is no phone or airport fee when making a reservation with a dbcfree

go to the airport and ticket it
mail it in (tho keep copies of everything)

also, welcome to flyertalk ^ tho your life as you now know it is over so sit back, relax and enjoy the friendly skies of the united forum and if there is anything we can do for you to make you journey more enjoyable, simply ring your call button.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 2:00 pm

thanks so much!
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:59 pm

How to protect free ticket voucher when I have to mail it in?

I'm in Vancouver (YVR) and can't redeem my free ticket voucher for travel within the lower 48 US states at YVR (I'll be using it for travel starting from SEA). It's quite a hassle to go to Seattle, and I couldn't go for another two weeks anyway. So I think I will have to use the mail option. I have an itinerary that is on hold for 14 days (done with the agent's help after I first did the 24-hour style hold) while I mail it in.

Some percentage of mail goes missing, and who knows how the UA office handles the vouchers. What's the best delivery method I could use to ensure the voucher actually arrives at the UA office and is acknowledged and processed?

Here's the UA page describing the process:
http://faq.ua2go.com/al/12/1/article.asp?aid=1706&bt=4

================================================== ===
As an aside, I was told by a Customer Service agent before I went to YVR that I could do the ticketing there. The agent at YVR told me I could not. When I phoned back Customer Service again, they reassured me I could, but the agent asked someone else and determined that the agent at YVR could not. So that was a wasted trip to the airport.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT
I have no clue what type of mail options exist in Canada but here in the US, I almost always mail it in with some kind of return-receipt/delivery confirmation type of service. If it is a high value voucher (which in your case, I think it is), I usually go via registered mail and keep a copy of the voucher just in case it goes missing as I believe the number on the voucher can be used to either re-issue or redeem should something happen to it.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:37 am

Programs: free agent
have you looked into exchanging the free ticket voucher for a dollar-off voucher? i believe as a resident of Canada it's a fairly straightfoward process. without the lower 48 restriction, you could start with a YVR-SEA flight or a YVR_SFO leg.

want to make sure you're making best use of the voucher...
Old Jul 14, 2008, 1:29 am

That's a good point. I was told at the time that I could get a $300 check, but I figured I could get a more valuable ticket out of it, which indeed I have if this works out. I often fly from Seattle anyway. But if I were to do the conversion you mention, what could I expect for a "dollar-off" value?

I'm thinking I might do standard registered mail with acknowledgement, but I will be sure to make a photocopy as suggested.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't understand why the YVR agent shouldn't be able to ticket it either, but the TBM offices seem to have a very good track record at issuing the tickets. Sometimes it does take them the full two weeks, but there aren't many reports here of missing vouchers.

That being said, I'd make a copy of the voucher and mail it with some kind of tracking/delivery confirmation service.

I'd also recommend enclosing a printout of your on-hold itinerary, in addition to writing your last name, date of travel, and confirmation number on the voucher itself.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:28 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I use TBM for all itineraries with paper vouchers.

I take a digital picture and/or photocopy of each one before sending it in.

So far, so good! ^
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:17 am

Programs: United Airlines 1K MM, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by soitgoes
I don't understand why the YVR agent shouldn't be able to ticket it either, but the TBM offices seem to have a very good track record at issuing the tickets. Sometimes it does take them the full two weeks, but there aren't many reports here of missing vouchers.

That being said, I'd make a copy of the voucher and mail it with some kind of tracking/delivery confirmation service.

I'd also recommend enclosing a printout of your on-hold itinerary, in addition to writing your last name, date of travel, and confirmation number on the voucher itself.
I have done this several times with no problems. I always make a copy of the voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.