Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA's Award Accelerator - 3c/RDM for next flight [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2008, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K/Life UC, AA-EXP, AF-Plat

Details link:
http://www.united.com/awardaccelerator

Passenger can opt to purchase "double" or "triple" miles upon on-line check-in. "Double" means RDM of equal of the flight miles and "triple" means double. Pricing is almost 3c per RDM.

Takes up to 48 hours to credit. Fee is non-refundable. In the event of flight cancellation, bonus still apply. Applies even for award travel.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Man, they will be selling their mothers before long! New tagline:

"UA. Anything for a buck."
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT PLT, SPG PLT
Interesting promotion...

Currently a flight from SIN-IAD is 9,656 miles and costs ~$2000. An economy award for that flight costs 60,000 miles.

If you fly R/T SIN-IAD you would earn ~20000 RDM. Paying for the triple 'award accelerator' would yield you 60,000 miles - enough for a free R/T in coach (and this isn't counting the 100% RDM bonus you'd get as a 1P/1K).

using the LAX-SYD example where 7483 = $449 USD, then 20000 miles should cost ~ $1200 USD. I also think the cost/mile would be slightly less if you tried to trend the ORD-CLE/mile cost versus the LAX-SYD/mile cost.

Not exactly a 'steal' - but technically that would be cheaper than paying for a full R/T fare. Might be worth if it for 1K's with access to additional coach inventory.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by GodErnst
Not exactly a 'steal' - but technically that would be cheaper than paying for a full R/T fare. Might be worth if it for 1K's with access to additional coach inventory.
But you need to also factor in:

1) you do not get RDM or EQM on award travel. So you lose that benefit
2) award travel is getting VERY hard to obtain these days. Paid is a lot more flexible. Yes, if you are 1K it is a bit easier than for a non-1k, but still nowhere as easy as paid ticket.

Given this, I think the deal is not a deal.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Award Accellerator = Mile Devalue
Old Aug 1, 2008, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
Agree....Award Accell = soon (within 6 months) devalue the miles...80,000 RDM for coach IAD-SIN....

If you add up the DEQM producing all the "lite" elite's, and this type of promo...they are printing free miles. RDM inflation...
Old Aug 1, 2008, 11:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
3 cents per mile does not seem that bad...assuming there is an airline left to redeem awards on...
Old Aug 1, 2008, 11:20 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Not quite sure what to make of this one. On one hand I like the ability to earn more (albeit a 3c/RDM), especially if I'm in a bind and scheduling a MR is not an option.

But on the other hand I'd hate to see this enhancement elite replace bonus miles.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 12:01 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SingTel001
"We were unable to complete your request. Please click here to continue or contact the Mileage Plus Service center at 1-800-421-4655 for assistance.
Our hours are 7 a.m. - midnight CST, Sunday through Saturday."

For some reason, the link doesn't work in Firefox, but does in IE. Weird

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 2, 2008 at 2:39 am
Old Aug 2, 2008, 2:26 am

Programs: Alaska 75K
Sounds attractive, however, here is my perspective

For 1K's and 1P's, 1 RDM at $0.033 means 1 EQM at $0.066 - that's a bit high of a cost to pay for EQM, so does not qualify to "turbo-charge" a MR. I don't think I am interested as the cost for extra 25,000 miles is $837

I am guessing is that UA is targeting people who want to top off their accounts, so will put some pressure on award availability. However, frequent travelers will not bite.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 3:43 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Originally Posted by J.Edward

But on the other hand I'd hate to see this enhancement elite replace bonus miles.
I can't help but think that this is going to lead to some sort of change to the elite bonus.

I don't think UA will get rid of the elite bonus, but I could see that we might be able to buy our bonus miles at a discounted rate - maybe 1.5 cpm?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by blueman2
... "UA. Anything for a buck." ...
" ... and nothing in return." RAR!
Old Aug 2, 2008, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cblaisd
For some reason, the link doesn't work in Firefox
Works for me.

I suspect this will replaces the "$20 for 1,000 miles" promo. People didn't have a devaluation problem with that one, but do with this one, even though this one costs about 50% more. Weird. Or, as Lucky would say: Wow. Just wow.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Aug 2, 2008 at 7:56 am
Old Aug 2, 2008, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Works for me.

I suspect this will replaces the "$20 for 1,000 miles" promo. People didn't have a devaluation problem with that one, but do with this one, even though this one costs about 50% more. Weird. Or, as Lucky would say: Wow. Just wow.
Sounds like it to me as well.

How is this mileage devaluation? There are a gazillion other mileage promotions and bonuses out there, for FREE. I don't hear you complain about double miles, or what have you, or 25,000 mile bonuses for signing up with the credit card. This is just another way for UA to make money. How is that a bad thing?

Last edited by UnitedSkies; Aug 2, 2008 at 8:10 am
Old Aug 2, 2008, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I love they owe you nothing in the case of a flight cancellation ... this wasn't a deal to begin with, but they've now made it a risky one at best both from the perspective of whether your flight goes, as well as if you can use those miles you'd gain to redeem a ticket at some point in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.