Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA's Award Accelerator - 3c/RDM for next flight [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Award Accelerator - 3c/RDM for next flight [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2008, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by GoingAway
I love they owe you nothing in the case of a flight cancellation
Where do you see that? It's not in the T&C.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by cblaisd
[I]
For some reason, the link doesn't work in Firefox, but does in IE. Weird
Didn't work for me using IE, but then I logged out of my open session (checked itins a few minutes ago) and it worked OK.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by blueman2
Man, they will be selling their mothers before long! New tagline:

"UA. Anything for a buck."
Isn't that the point of business?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoingAway
I love they owe you nothing in the case of a flight cancellation ... this wasn't a deal to begin with, but they've now made it a risky one at best both from the perspective of whether your flight goes, as well as if you can use those miles you'd gain to redeem a ticket at some point in the future.
Huh, didn't the OP say you'd still get the double or triple miles in the event of a flight cancellation?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SingTel001
Details link:
http://www.united.com/awardaccelerator

Passenger can opt to purchase "double" or "triple" miles upon on-line check-in. "Double" means RDM of equal of the flight miles and "triple" means double. Pricing is almost 3c per RDM.

Takes up to 48 hours to credit. Fee is non-refundable. In the event of flight cancellation, bonus still apply. Applies even for award travel.
OP, where did you find this? I can't find it during a sweep of the website.

It almost seems like it's not ready for prime-time yet. The FAQs say "Placeholder T&Cs" and it's not under "Travel enhancements."
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Huh, didn't the OP say you'd still get the double or triple miles in the event of a flight cancellation?
My mistake - I put in a "not" in there -- oops
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by GodErnst
Interesting promotion...

using the LAX-SYD example where 7483 = $449 USD, then 20000 miles should cost ~ $1200 USD. I also think the cost/mile would be slightly less if you tried to trend the ORD-CLE/mile cost versus the LAX-SYD/mile cost.
Using the LAX-SYD example, the $449 is for [I]triple[I] miles. So you'd get 7483 x 2 ~ 15,000 extra miles for $449.

20,000 miles would then cost closer to $600, not $1,200 (thus dovetailing with the OP estimate of 3cpm).

Edit: That said, $750 for 25,000 miles (a Y saver ticket) is not what I consider to be a "good deal".
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by GodErnst
using the LAX-SYD example where 7483 = $449 USD
Another reason not to worry about devaluation: this is only slightly cheaper than just purchasing the miles outright (at http://www.ualmiles.com/PersonalMiles.jsp). The cost for those 15K miles is $518.75 - not that different from the $449 with this new plan. For many trips, the difference will be even more negligible (like you may only need 14K miles for $486.50 or 13K for $454.25). If you're not worried about the mileage purchase option, why worry about this? In fact, in many cases the purchase option is even better for topping off since it has much finer granularity.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Another reason not to worry about devaluation: this is only slightly cheaper than just purchasing the miles outright (at http://www.ualmiles.com/PersonalMiles.jsp). The cost for those 15K miles is $518.75 - not that different from the $449 with this new plan. For many trips, the difference will be even more negligible. If you're not worried about the mileage purchase option, why worry about this?
Another great point.

This is actually quite a smart product, because the PersonalMiles product isn't presented ideally to encourage impulse buying, which Award Accelerator is. I suspect this product would garner some pretty significant success, especially if customers are asked if they would like to double or triple their miles. That's a pretty convincing statement, and not everyone would have the time to do the math right then and there.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
That's a pretty convincing statement, and not everyone would have the time to do the math right then and there.
Definitely a promotion for the math-challenged customer.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Definitely a promotion for the math-challenged customer.
LMAO, too true!^ Of course "math-challenged" describes a good percentage of the population, so might not be a bad promo...
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why I think this is brilliant is because this is simply a repackaging of sorts of the PersonalMiles program, and it's tailored towards each customer by the itinerary they are flying, so that it's more personalized and also is presented at the right time, right place.

What would be even smarter is if UA pulled the customer's RDM account balance, showed them how many miles they need to redeem their next award (along with award options), and illustrate how good a deal this would be and get them further along to their next award trip.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:32 am

What would be even smarter is if UA pulled the customer's RDM account balance, showed them how many miles they need to redeem their next award (along with award options), and illustrate how good a deal this would be and get them further along to their next award trip.
I wouldn't be surprised if they do this. My wife received a MP Visa offer of 25,000 miles and that's exactly how the offer was packaged..."you now have XXXXX miles + 25,000 mile sign-up bonus = XXXXXX miles."
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
I have no problem with United doing this, I think it's smart business on their part. They need to find ways to bring cash in. As far as being overtly negative on this promotion...I don't really agree with all the UA negativity that exists on FT sometimes. All the complaining about the DEQM posting for example...what? griping that your miles didn't post yet when the T&C clearly states the timeframe for posting...just be glad you got DEQM offer! if you don't want DEQM posting 6-8 weeks after then don't sign up for the DEQM offer! Sorry...maybe venting on that ridiculous thread because I don't want to post to it and bump it...lol.

I don't see myself taking them up on this deal. But for some it may be a real winner if you don't fly much- and are trying to earn a free ticket or something?

Last edited by JSlo; Aug 2, 2008 at 9:39 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by JSlo
But for some it may be a real winner if you don't fly much- and are trying to earn a free ticket or something?
Except that it's cheaper just to buy the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.