Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Special Meal in Profile - Do I need to call?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Special Meal in Profile - Do I need to call?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2009, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
We have a bit of the opposite problem. + 1 used to have the IVML in her profile, and she did get the meal most of the time. However, we have since removed it (she decided it was generally pretty bland and she always likes the "standard" fish option better), and they still sometimes load it.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
I believe your united.com profile will add a special request in your field when you book on united.com - so if you have any active/already booked reservations, you will need to call United to request the special meal.

Similarly, if you booked via another booking source, you will need to do the same. The profile is not intended to carry over to all booking sources, IIRC.
Then why doesn't it work for those booking on .bomb?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
You need to ask?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC

Is the answer in the question.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 1:43 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by redbeard911
There are more meal options than are shown on the website. Mrs. Redbeard is able to get gluten-free.
Gluten-free meals are shown on the website.

Originally Posted by fnothaft
What comes with the GF meal?
See the link above; the GF meal is at the bottom of the page. It's not exactly specific, but it does say what could potentially be in it...
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:39 am
Former user name: laundrian

Programs: Moderator: Traveling with Jewelry, UA GS, Starwood
Would anyone tell me what are the "special meals" ? What are my options if I don't want those "regular" meals?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Smile

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
...we'll see if my profile preference is noted, ok?
Ahhh... Here we are... Never had that happen before... or been at odds with a mod while I'm mistakenly appearing to defend their airline. (Can I say these things?)

1) Glad I found this again!

2) We're not at odds. I'm not defending United! (Though I do when I think it's warranted.)

3) I do take the lessons here, that I should call to, in effect, "confirm" what's in my profile. It is possible for this old dog to learn, as when I was recently educated about the value of OLCI to actually realize an upgrade transcon out of BOS.

4) So, the "therefore"... What is appropriate as compensation? (It would have been a bonanza for me, like "shooting fish in a barrel" for all the times I might have realized it. Moreover, what an easy one to set up. Live and learn...) I know I could look back on the very long thread about "... and what did you get?" but it's already taken me a while to find me here.

Thank you.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:59 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Despite the my moderator title, it means nothing when it comes to the posts I make when posting in threads outside of an "official" capacity; I reserve the right to be wrong or have opinion that may be contrary to the prevailing one, so feel free to disagree, ok?

Compensation for a 1k who experiences a miscatered domestic flight includes a $50 eCert, an e500, or 3,000 RDM. It used to be a CS$150, which I will admit was excessive.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thank you for the excellent news. Hoo boy, I don't know how much money I've wasted/lost. (I also waited far too long to start charging my airfare to my Chase MP CC rather than to the company Amex, a ways back...) This does seem like the easiest way to set up a $50 payment over and over again.

And I'm sorry, I conflated the position and the transfer without a PM.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:23 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I am flying this weekend in C to FRA and have not called for a special; we'll see if my profile preference is noted
I reserve the right to be wrong.
Well, color me , I was a shocked as anyone when Hindu meals were loaded for my IAD-FRA and FRA-SFO flights this weekend. I'm not sure if somehow the profile is queried for international flights only, but I thought it was only fair to admit I was wrong in this case. I do suggest calling to confirm a special meal is a good best practice, however.

I'll post detailed menus in the "Let's Eat" thread, but suffice it to say the meals were large portions of humble pie with crow.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:36 am

whew

God bless you. All the way from Hawai'i to FRA, and back. Glad you lucked out.

(Just curious, OT, but how would it have worked out, mileage and time-wise, if you'd gone westerly? One thing I'm thinking is that, if so, the Hindu meal picture on another *A might have been - well - wider. Maybe not.)
Old Apr 27, 2009, 7:30 pm
Suspended

how to order a meal?

ok, i feel dumb - like i should know this. and yes, i did search. how do you order a meal on .bomb? i'm looking all over and no luck.

i thought i recall if you order a "special" meal on a redyeye flight, then you actually get a meal instead of a "snack" - is that true? i feel like my upgrades are wasted if i don't get a meal haha!

thx in advance.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 7:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
How do I request a special meal if my flight has a meal service?

Home > Services & information > In-flight services > Meal and beverage service > Special meals
You can place your special meal request when booking your flight or by calling Reservations at least 24 hours before your scheduled flight time.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:00 pm
Suspended

thx! i guess that's why i coudln't find it online. looks like i have to call.

now does anyone know on redeyes if you request a special meal, do you get an actual meal instead of just the "snack" ?
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by flyboiboeing
now does anyone know on redeyes if you request a special meal, do you get an actual meal instead of just the "snack" ?
Depends on the meal, but generally, you should. The low-fat meal on redeyes is a chicken breast on rice, or so I'm told. Of course, it also depends on your preferences. I ordered this for my wife once on one of her upgraded redeyes, thinking I was doing her a favor by getting her a "real" meal instead of just the deli plate. She told me later she preferred the deli plate, because she found the chicken/rice quite bland, plus she likes fruit and cheese...

That said, it's hit-or-miss whether they actually load your special meal on the redeyes, anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.