Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation Rant

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2008, 9:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mlcrx2b
It seems that many here hope for some sort of dis-service in order to get compensation.

How true and if you read carefully most are wanabee flyers who spend too much time getting horny over their next flight, those of us who spend half our lives flying know better I hope
Old Jul 5, 2008, 9:44 am

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by hawkxp
Going to start a new thread as to not sound like I am picking on a particular FT'er.

What is it about the desire for COMPENSATION?

I have heard about people "delayed 12 days, no luggage cannot get a hold of anyone" OK- compensation is deserved.

What is it about our system that makes people think that the smallest problem “An ""e-"" person used my lav" or such; that the response is GIVE ME MONEY.

Could rant on, but I think most of you know what I am talking about.
Welcome to America where the latest national pastime is "getting paid".
Old Jul 5, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by HereAndThere
When your customer service ranking is as low as United's it is time to listen to customers and fix the problems. If there is a chance that asking for compensation will make that happen then I'm going to ask for compensation.
Well, has it ever occurred to you that by insisting on compensation - instead of taking your business elsewhere - you have just given an easy out to United?

It's not really very hard for them to print out vouchers and hand them out when people get mad. It's much easier than actually dealing with the problem - and probably cheaper, too.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chitownflyer
The primary purpose of compensation is to make a goodwill gesture for problems that arise on United, but an even more important purpose of compensation is providing the tangible incentive for the customer to continue flying United.
If the typical UA customer is someone who will bolt if they don't receive some kind of bribe due to an overhead reading light being broken....then UA needs a better class of customer.

Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by chicagorich
If the typical UA customer is someone who will bolt if they don't receive some kind of bribe due to an overhead reading light being broken....then UA needs a better class of customer.

Anybody else remember the prison warden who blamed a riot on the fact that "we're not getting as good a class of prisoner as we used to?"
Old Jul 5, 2008, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis 1st
The typical UA customer has no idea that they are entitled to compensation for broken equipment. The typical customer flies infrequently, is not airline savvy, and is choosing an airline based on the lowest priced ticket.

The frequent fliers are the people experiencing commonplace issues with the the planes, operations delays, etc. and actually expecting the carrier to deal with the problem. UA chooses to dish out vouchers to placate customers rather than address the root cause. It has nothing to do with "class" - I think what you're really implying is that United just needs passengers with lower expectations.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trulyblues

I think what you're really implying is that United just needs passengers with lower expectations.
I'm saying that UA needs passengers with rational expectations.

Old Jul 6, 2008, 2:15 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
I'm saying that UA needs passengers with rational expectations.

Important distinction you make here. The problem is I think most of us, including those who ask for compensation are "reasonable" - that is, we expect to get what was advertised and promised to us. If that's not delivered, then we expect compensation to close the gap.

Given the state of the airlines, reasonable is no longer enough - you must indeed be rational, which means that you cannot expect consistency of product (including important issues like seat functionality, aircraft as promised, etc etc).

Most of us are reasonable, but we need to start being rational...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.