Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very rude SFO RCC agent re: mileage runs

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2008, 9:13 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I could go on and on, but this guy was extremely rude, nosy, and unhelpful considering that I spend $300 a year to join the RCC and get premium customer service as one of the benefits. I would usually just have said "none of your business" to begin with and asked for a supervisor if he kept up the garbage, but I decided not (for good reason).

That being said, next time he better watch out.
Lucky, the next time a [***edited by moderator] gives you lemons, try to make lemonade. It is sad we have to come across people like this, but it seems there are those in the world whom wish to project their own personal miseries onto others. Happy and good travels to you.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 24, 2008 at 10:14 pm Reason: Edited to conform to FT Rules re language
Old May 24, 2008, 9:15 pm

Unless the flight is oversold, it seems that an MR itinerary might add revenue to United. (If it is oversold than the connection probably gave united less money than a pax on a 'normal' route).

from what I recall, each additional segment in a MR sometimes adds a little to the price of the ticket (but i might be wrong). i.e. those 20 minute emb-120 flights off of LAX and SFO that used to get 500miles for like 20 miles traveled still cost like 10 or 15 dollars each way. Even though that is definitely under the marginal cost of the seat, if the flight isn't going to be full, than at least it is earning more money.

Additionally, one could argue that the ability to do the MR means someone gets the extra miles to get status which then could lead to increased loyalty and long term value. Even the lowest level of status at United gives a lot of perks, which could make a customer loyal and choose to stay with United. if you are premier at United, and nothing at American, you might be likely to try to book only on united, if you had 23000 (or even 24.5k) and thus got no status on United, you might split between the two.

Personally, I think allowing MRs is good for business becuase it rarely blocks out someone who would have paid more, and the people who actually care enough to do an MR are the people that might actually stay loyal because they recognize the value of the benefits.
Old May 24, 2008, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by exerda
Edited to add: from the SkyMiles rules, it says:

Apologies for diverging into DL and MR discussions in the UA forum.
I find your info very interesting since I am not aware of that. Also find it amusing given the fact that DL is giving out SkyMiles very easily.
Old May 24, 2008, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by raptor288
Unless the flight is oversold, it seems that an MR itinerary might add revenue to United. (If it is oversold than the connection probably gave united less money than a pax on a 'normal' route).

from what I recall, each additional segment in a MR sometimes adds a little to the price of the ticket (but i might be wrong). i.e. those 20 minute emb-120 flights off of LAX and SFO that used to get 500miles for like 20 miles traveled still cost like 10 or 15 dollars each way. Even though that is definitely under the marginal cost of the seat, if the flight isn't going to be full, than at least it is earning more money.

Additionally, one could argue that the ability to do the MR means someone gets the extra miles to get status which then could lead to increased loyalty and long term value. Even the lowest level of status at United gives a lot of perks, which could make a customer loyal and choose to stay with United. if you are premier at United, and nothing at American, you might be likely to try to book only on united, if you had 23000 (or even 24.5k) and thus got no status on United, you might split between the two.

Personally, I think allowing MRs is good for business becuase it rarely blocks out someone who would have paid more, and the people who actually care enough to do an MR are the people that might actually stay loyal because they recognize the value of the benefits.
Absolutely correct. The fact that people are mileage running in the first place means they are loyal customers trying to reap the rewards of heavy flying. And that is a good customer in my book: one who contributes to the bottom line again and again and again!
Old May 24, 2008, 9:26 pm

Out of curiousity, what exactly is the "impact to other people" of either MRs, or standing by for a different routing?

(Status is far from "silly" IMHO, too... at 6'4", I need E+ and prefer the ability to get exit rows; and, if you fly more than a couple of times a year, status really helps when you get into irrops... among many other things. Now, some people lord their status over people, as, to pardon the cliche, a "status symbol," and that is silly.)
The impact to other people has already happened. The elimination of 500 mile minimums. My point was clear that MRs per se are not the problem, nor is alternate routing in the event of irrops. It was a 4 connection itinerary including a portion SFO-LAX-SAN to rack up EQMs. I agree that that OP had every right to do this, but I just don't find the attitude amenable to my view of how the world should operate. I recognize that many/most may disagree with me, but I just think it's a bit too much (and even more too much to then complain about the treatment received at the RCC). Perhaps only a venial sin, but it just doesn't sit right with me.

I do agree with you that status does matter. It is a reward for loyalty and good business. I'm just not sure that a 4 connect itinerary is loyalty.
Old May 24, 2008, 9:30 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
It's really quite simple - if the rules allow a specific routing, then there's nothing to complain about.

The bottom line is, the OP is providing revenue to United they otherwise wouldn't have had. Those planes fly to those destinations regardless of who is on them.

The RCC agent might as well have said, "UA will be bankrupt again soon, no thanks to you. Could you PLEASE choose another carrier to give your revenue to so I can get to the unemployment line a little quicker?"

I contrast this with the treatment I received today on another airline where they thought my same-day LAX-JFK-LAX turnaround was "great" and they were happy I was taking advantage of the double miles promo and even offered me a couple of drink chits at the club to make the journey easier.

Someone at the SFO RCC needs a fresh perspective on MR's.

- T
Old May 24, 2008, 9:31 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Ok, I dont do mileage runs as I dont get the point but if you can book it and want to fly it then it is none of anyones business why you want to do it. My wife gets embarassed when I do it but I just tell such people to eff off. I know the type and have not patience for such people.

You are a club guest and deserve the service that club provides...no matter if you are there as a paid member or as a privilege of your status etc.
Old May 24, 2008, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Two counterpoints to this unfortunate story. First is several times in years past at the JFK RCC. I have gotten my boarding pass for my first flight and gone to get the additional ones at the RCC. On several occasions they have checked to confirm the unusual routing isnt a mistake. But when I confirmed that yes, I basically am flying around the country aimlessly they always chuckled a bit and said something along the lines of "if that is what you want to do, thank you for doing it with United, we appreciate the business". One said also, "I guess its that time of year again, we get a lot more of these towards the end of the year" with a late December run.

Today at SFO Admirals Club. I arrived from JFK at 12:30 and had a 3:30 flight back to JFK. I checked and the 1:30 looked decent for an upgrade. I asked in the AC if I could get a boarding pass for the 3:30 and get put on the standby and upgrade list for the 1:30. She looked at my itin rather bemusedly and said, "Im guessing you didnt check a bag". I confirmed and she printed out my bp and said I was on the list for the early flight and it looked good but I needed to get to the gate because they were boarding. Nothing but polite assistance. Same with the people at the gate who cleared me onto the last business class seat on the early flight.

Im pretty calm in general and polite to a fault. But if someone had said to me what was said to the OP a lot of people would hear about it, from the managers at SFO to the newspapers. People like this should not be working in a CS job. That guy should be sacked immediately. My guess is that absolutely nothing will be done about it by UAL either.
Old May 24, 2008, 9:47 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
They typically only allow one connection each way, which makes it hard to somehow manipulate routings, as some would call it.
If one looks at United's route network versus either Delta's or Northwest's, one can see the absolute need to allow at least two (if not three) connections to complete some of the city pairs which United serves at any time of day. If you carry this farther to specific times of day, then the need for multiple transfers becomes obvious.

As I recall when Delta's route structure included larger presence in LAX, SLC and DFW they also had many city pairs requiring multiple transfers, but with the dilution of their east/west flows they've opted to reduce allowable transfers.

The other interesting factor that comes into play here is O & D revenue management. The only way that these multiple transfer itineraries are available for booking is if they generate what at the time of booking is deemed acceptable revenue not only for the itinerary but also for all of the segments involved.

Bootom line -- multiple transfer generate revenue for United. Otherwise they wouldn't be allowed.
Old May 24, 2008, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA MM
Out of curiousity, what exactly is the "impact to other people" of either MRs
I'll answer...

I've always been very reluctant to say any of this, because MR's are such a huge part of FT culture, but...

I remember a few months a bunch of you guys were on an MR to FRA and ran into a canceled flight (your day or the previous day, can't remember which), and actually joked about the fact that you got on while some other pax didn't.

I remember thinking at the time that the day I don't get home on time because I got DB'd by some laughing mileage runners (as unlikely as this is, since I'm a consistent 1K paying pretty high fares most of the time) will be a dark day on FT. I've always supported MR's in concept, but the fact that you guys were amused by the fact that you inconvenienced some people who were actually flying because they had to made me sick.

Especially with today's fuel prices, airlines really should just allow anyone to declare a MR when buying their ticket, pay the $$$, get the EQM and RDM (maybe at some slightly discounted percentage), and not actually fly. That's the best of all worlds -- miles for those of you who play this game, money for the airline, less fuel use and emission generation, and less strain on the system for the people who fly as a means rather than an end. If they made a pricing error, at least they're not actually absorbing the expense to carry you also. IM can and will limit the miles sold, since you'll still be taking a seat from inventory in the fare bucket you used -- so their exposure to a really serious mistake is still limited. You'll get a much better deal than the actual published rate to buy miles, but it's better than if you do the same thing with your butt in a seat.
Old May 24, 2008, 9:52 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Lucky, sorry for your troubles at my home airport. What you went throught is terrible, and please make sure to report it that kind of behavior is awful. The only thing I would have added to the conversation is this.."sir I'm so sorry you're so upset at people that pay your salary, maybe if UA goes BK or merges you'll possibly be lucky enough to keep your job, but w/ your attitude I would imagine you'd need to polish up your resume cause don't imagine that they would keep a special employee like you."
Old May 24, 2008, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jd2000
I remember a few months a bunch of you guys were on an MR to FRA and ran into a canceled flight (your day or the previous day, can't remember which), and actually joked about the fact that you got on while some other pax didn't.
Sounds like you're referring to the mileage run several FT'ers (including me) took in January to FRA. If so, we didn't bump off anyone else, and certainly didn't laugh about it. We enjoyed the delay, but no one was bumped because of us... what exactly are you talking about?

I even dug up the thread for you. Here it is.

I'm also not exactly sure what this has to do with the original subject...

Last edited by lucky9876coins; May 24, 2008 at 10:04 pm
Old May 24, 2008, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jd2000

I've always been very reluctant to say any of this, because MR's are such a huge part of FT culture, but...
That's an interesting comment. The tenor of this thread would seem to suggest that MR's are not an uncommon practice among FT'ers.

But if you go over and browse another current thread in this forum that specifically asks what percentage of an FT'ers travel is MR's, the overwhelming response so far is 0%.

I guess the truth lies somewhere in between...

Old May 24, 2008, 10:08 pm

Less fuel use and emissions? How so? The flight is STILL going to go.....whether or not the (miniscule % of) pax actually doing an MR are onboard or not...

And if folks are going to claim that the 500 mile minimum was removed because of MR's... (or even that MR's played more than a peripheral role in that decision...)

EVIDENCE please! Cos I (for one) don't buy it as an unsupported allegation.
Old May 24, 2008, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL/silver
I agree

Originally Posted by timenprayer
I am really sorry that this happened, especially to you. You have helped so many of us on this board learn helpful and useful things. Your experience and wisdom has likely turned people toward choosing UA, and then this happens to you. Really sorry to hear about that.
I agree,lucky9876coins has not only helped a lot of people here but has been the voice of reason on some very touchy topics.I don't feel sorry for lucky for what happened,but I might feel sorry for that GA if lucky ever meets him again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.