Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very rude SFO RCC agent re: mileage runs

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2008, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Something is wrong with their pricing model when it makes economical sense to buy the ticket just for the return on miles. I think you will start seeing United not give EQMs and maybe not RDMs on certain "sale" fare classes, like you see on Priceline, etc... special fare classes in some cases.

You heard it here first....
They already effected that to some extent with the slashing of the 500 mile minimum per segment.

That said, as a business owner I get excited to buy a S or T fare on my trips and still earn full RDM/EQM. I usually don't because they are sold out. That keeps me buying the YBMH fares that make the money. Get rid of the sale fare accrual and I'd easily drop my patronage to UA in half.
Old May 26, 2008, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by prestonh
That said, as a business owner I get excited to buy a S or T fare on my trips and still earn full RDM/EQM. I usually don't because they are sold out. That keeps me buying the YBMH fares that make the money. Get rid of the sale fare accrual and I'd easily drop my patronage to UA in half.
So which half would you drop? Seems to me if UA had only half as many pax but they were all buying YBMH they'd be in a lot better shape (as long as they could adjust their capacity somewhat accordingly).
Old May 26, 2008, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I don't think having YBHM only fares are motto of UA. UA is a global airline and will always try to entertain the need for business and pleasure travel. BTW, very few business only airlines are surviving. Pleasure travellers will mostly plan ahead and will no way buy UA if only YBHM fares are available. As a matter of fact, many business travellers can anticipate their schedule thus not needing to buy YBHM fares either. The YHBM fares have intrinsic value, one is paying more because these fares are flexible and do not require as much fore-sight. These benefits alone justify the fare, therefore asking for more benefit like mileage/segment reward is actually unfair to people who plans ahead.
Old May 26, 2008, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by formite
I don't think having YBHM only fares are motto of UA. UA is a global airline and will always try to entertain the need for business and pleasure travel. BTW, very few business only airlines are surviving. Pleasure travellers will mostly plan ahead and will no way buy UA if only YBHM fares are available.
Most of the pleasure-traveling masses wouldn't care about EQM if they even knew about them. Some UA FF's would still keep their pleasure travel there with reduced EQM's because they still get the benefits of their status -- more free baggage, E+, upgrades, etc., but if some more loyal customers spread out their lower-revenue travel (whether it's business or pleasure), I don't see how upset they'd be about that.
Old May 27, 2008, 12:27 am

Programs: MP 1K to 2P - painful
Lucky,
Have you sent in a complaint to 1-K Voice?
Old May 27, 2008, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by jd2000
Originally Posted by prestonh
So which half would you drop? Seems to me if UA had only half as many pax but they were all buying YBMH they'd be in a lot better shape (as long as they could adjust their capacity somewhat accordingly).
If all the carriers didnt do it UA would get decimated. A few years ago UA tried to put stringent restrictions on SWUs and the response was so negative from 1Ks that they not only relented but gave them extra SWUs. If UA dropped mileage accrual on cheap fares I would stop flying them at completely. I buy a mix of fares for work and leisure. Mostly discount but a mix of B,A, Z and J. But I consolidate my flying on two carriers because of the miles. The internet has made it a lot easier for b usinesses to shop for cheap fares. Why fly UA when JetB lue has better service. Without the loyalty of the MP program UA is toast.

You seem to think that this person in SFO had a valid point about mileage runs. De you also think that full fare international first and business class passengers shouldn't be allowed in lounges?

Last edited by GadgetFreak; May 27, 2008 at 6:56 pm
Old May 27, 2008, 6:36 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
This is totally unacceptable customer service .

I cant believe he would speak to a 1K like that (or anyone like that actually) - is this what UA calls customer service for their best customers .

I hope you do write in about this one, Lucky!

BTW can you share why you didnt want to call the supervisor at the time?

I prefer direct routes (SYD-LAX is direct by nature ) and I actually prefer to fly p.s flights across the US, than take a crazy multi stop route (probably why I am only 2P ). However regardless of the tickets we buy - no one should be treated in that manner!

Last edited by Downunder girl; May 27, 2008 at 6:50 am
Old May 27, 2008, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
This is one of those instances wherein the proper response to the agent would be, "Just shut up and do your job."
Old May 27, 2008, 7:29 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by KMHT FF
This is one of those instances wherein the proper response to the agent would be, "Just shut up and do your job."
Or, (though I've never done this), could you allow the person behind you to get served by this clown and just wait for another agent to handle your request? I suppose this guy would have sighed and 'alerted' the others to these 'stupid' MRunners...
Old May 27, 2008, 7:46 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by seanp7
Or, (though I've never done this), could you allow the person behind you to get served by this clown and just wait for another agent to handle your request? I suppose this guy would have sighed and 'alerted' the others to these 'stupid' MRunners...
That would be way too obvious. As it was, it would have been way too
impossible, as this guy was the only one at the desk at the time.
Old May 27, 2008, 7:52 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seanp7
I've taken that approach before with RCC agents and with the TSA.

At ORD, one agent refused to handle a simple request. I got in the line for the agent next to her. She scowled at me, but had enough to do with the customers in her line as it was. The second agent handled the request without a problem (standby to DCA vs. IAD; first agent had claimed that was impossible).

At IAD, I saw a TSA agent I really disliked (during the shoe carnival days, she had insisted I had to remove my shoes and refused to let me pass the WTMD, then argued with me about "you don't know our rules"). I chose the lane next to her, and the screener there let me walk right through in my shoes. This lady scowled at the guy and I could tell wanted to chew him out, but tough cookies (they were both one-stripers).

So, yeah, sometimes that works.
Old May 27, 2008, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by DHAST
Hey, I have a dumb idea!

Why not award miles based on straight-line, non-stop distance, or perhaps shortest published routing?

That way those that travel on cheaper fares are not "punished" nor are they encouraged to go out of their way to rack up crazy miles.

And, for those that have a legitimate reason for making 4 stops on a cross country flight, that reason will likely outweigh the loss of the extra miles.
Cool. Then I'll book all my round trips as multi-cities. "How dare you suggest that I don't have a half hour meeting in LAX?".
Old May 27, 2008, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA *Gold, Marriott PLT, Hyatt mid-tier whose stupid name I cannot ever recall
another tidbit

Originally Posted by violist
That would be way too obvious. As it was, it would have been way too
impossible, as this guy was the only one at the desk at the time.
This same agent was responsible for pulling the wrong coupon(SFO-JFK) from my ticket when my upgrade cleared for SFO-ANC. I only found out when I could not check-in online for my return, & had to spend 45 minutes on the phone first with Reservations & then with web support in India.
And then another 20 minutes when trying to get my boarding pass at the airport.

As a sidenote, the India interaction was fine, & the agent appeared to actually care about making everything right, even to the point of calling me back when my cell phone dropped the signal. ^
Old May 27, 2008, 1:17 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
So many people here have had problems with what appears to be the same agent? Have you all written letters?
Old May 27, 2008, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Boy he's got a bad rep on here. Someone should complain right on the spot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.