Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Westin Heavenly Bed on intl F flights? [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Heavenly Bed on intl F flights? [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2008, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ua_to_ord
Don't you think that's rather excessive? I like to pack light, and I can't imagine lugging a bulky blanket around all day. And even if UA's blanket is not thoroughly washed between all flights, it only goes on top of my clothes, anyways.
Maybe it's a security blanket?
Old May 12, 2008, 7:28 am

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Brilliant!
Old May 12, 2008, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
You're much less cynical than I am. Do you know that it's washed, or do you assume that because it's packaged in plastic wrap it must be washed? I've heard from some FA's that they just package it to make it look fresh and don't actually wash it to cut down on costs at times, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Regardless, I bring my own blanket as I don't wanna know what people have done with them...
They are definitely not always washed. I have several times ripped open the sealed plastic bag around a blanket and had crumbs or other signs that the blanket hasn't been washed fall out of the blanket.
Old May 12, 2008, 8:48 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Couldn't confirm for sure since I wasn't in First (was in Business in 5B), but I noticed they had some big fluffy pillows and grey duvet for first class passengers on last night's flight. A partial rollout, perhaps?
Old May 12, 2008, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Couldn't confirm for sure since I wasn't in First (was in Business in 5B), but I noticed they had some big fluffy pillows and grey duvet for first class passengers on last night's flight. A partial rollout, perhaps?
I believe you saw the old Int'l F bedding. I would expect the Westin bedding to be white, just like it is at every Westin hotel.
Old May 12, 2008, 9:50 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
You're much less cynical than I am. Do you know that it's washed, or do you assume that because it's packaged in plastic wrap it must be washed? I've heard from some FA's that they just package it to make it look fresh and don't actually wash it to cut down on costs at times, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Regardless, I bring my own blanket as I don't wanna know what people have done with them...
I understand your actions. I was actually told by an experienced flight attendant that blankets that have been packaged and sealed in plastic have in fact been laundered, but I still seldom use them. Since pillows are never found in plastic or sealed, I never use them.
Old May 12, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Perhaps, but I've never seen "blanket" on the list of things the TSA or United is doing, "for my safety and security"..
Old May 12, 2008, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by noah
Perhaps, but I've never seen "blanket" on the list of things the TSA or United is doing, "for my safety and security"..
Old May 12, 2008, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by chitownflyer
I understand your actions. I was actually told by an experienced flight attendant that blankets that have been packaged and sealed in plastic have in fact been laundered, but I still seldom use them. Since pillows are never found in plastic or sealed, I never use them.
Yeah, unfortunately, what the FA told you is just not true. Either that or the contractor sometimes adds a "special surprise" post-laundering, pre-bagging the blanket. My "Special Surprise" discoveries have included loads of crumbs, weird grease stains, and what I presume was the remains of a blown nose. All things that a basic laundering should have removed (or at least made a dent into). Again, these were blankets that were sealed in plastic, not just folded and in a plastic bag, but sealed.

I've stopped using blankets or pillows on most airplanes.
Old May 12, 2008, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
discoveries have included loads of crumbs, weird grease stains, and what I presume was the remains of a blown nose.
Am I alone in seeing the need for CSI: United?
Old May 12, 2008, 1:04 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
Yeah, unfortunately, what the FA told you is just not true. Either that or the contractor sometimes adds a "special surprise" post-laundering, pre-bagging the blanket. My "Special Surprise" discoveries have included loads of crumbs, weird grease stains, and what I presume was the remains of a blown nose. All things that a basic laundering should have removed (or at least made a dent into). Again, these were blankets that were sealed in plastic, not just folded and in a plastic bag, but sealed.
I have to say that my experience matches yours-- though you can add "BO stink" to your list.

I still don't know why people equate shrink-wrapping with laundering-- they are completely separate processes. You'd think after enough of these threads people would get that plastic-wrapped ≠ laundered, but .
Old Jun 24, 2008, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Deal with Westin for pillows and duvets on new It'l First?

I am only reporting what a WHQ staffer told me last night, at the SYD 1K launch of the new era seats.

He said UA had done a deal with Westin for pillows and duvets for the First Suites when more are on-stream.

I thought that sounded kind of strange and queried him as to whether he meant a deal with whomever supplies Westin, but he seem quite clear on it.

He was the talking head out here to answer questions in SYD and MEL, so there may be something in it. Maybe Mr Pillows has been bending ears at WHQ?

So FWIW, unless if has been reported elsewhere - I add it to the rumor mill.

Glen
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:02 pm

Wouldn't surprise me, based on this:

http://www.united.com/press/detail/0...8978-1,00.html
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:15 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I am a little surprised that the benefit extends to C class on p.s. transcons according to that article -- that is a lot of heavy pillows and blankets to be supplying for every single flight! for mostly upgraders...

Well, maybe they'll skimp on the washing to save money.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
The WHQ staffer I spoke to specifically said that First would have this Westin stuff on 747s.

He did not mention Biz, so maybe thery canned that idea?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.