Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

status now expires in Jan instead of Feb? [Merged Threads}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2008, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 0P

I recently qualified for 1P after a few years as a 2P. My new 1P card arrived today, and it says it's valid through Jan 2010. My old 2P card said it was good through the end of February. Yet another policy change? (I couldn't find any mention of this before)
Old May 5, 2008, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I haven't heard about any change..nothing formally announced. Call MP customer service and see what they say and report back please!
Old May 5, 2008, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jastr
I recently qualified for 1P after a few years as a 2P. My new 1P card arrived today, and it says it's valid through Jan 2010. My old 2P card said it was good through the end of February. Yet another policy change? (I couldn't find any mention of this before)
I'm doubly confused. Shouldn't the card you got now be good until February 2009, and then you get a new one for next year?
Old May 5, 2008, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milepig
I'm doubly confused. Shouldn't the card you got now be good until February 2009, and then you get a new one for next year?
I'm rather surprised as well, as I expected to either get no new card at all, or nothing for a while. I didn't get the 2P for 2008 card until about six or so weeks ago, which expires in Feb 2009. The new 1P card says it's good until the end of January 2010, so I guess UA didn't want to send another one for next year in addition.
Old May 5, 2008, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I haven't heard about any change..nothing formally announced. Call MP customer service and see what they say and report back please!
Called MP customer relations, and was told that yes, the years now end in January rather than February. I assume that's only starting in 2010, not 2009, but I forgot to ask.
Old May 5, 2008, 4:07 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Called MP customer relations, and was told that yes, the years now end in January rather than February. I assume that's only starting in 2010, not 2009, but I forgot to ask.
I've received my card in June last year and end of march this year.
Before they change the expiration date, they need to change thier outsourced vendor to ship the bloody card before expiration.
Old May 5, 2008, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BD Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kkjay77
I've received my card in June last year and end of march this year.
Before they change the expiration date, they need to change thier outsourced vendor to ship the bloody card before expiration.
agreed... 1K cards barely make the Feb deadline (and some don't).. I don't know if all the 3Ps in my household's cards have even arrived
Old May 5, 2008, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Now this is consistent with SWU expiration date Jan. 31.
Old May 5, 2008, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Have any other airlines changed their elite years? I know Marriott runs on the former United calendar where status would last through February of the following year.
Old May 5, 2008, 6:49 pm

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
This change will save United some money in February 2010 from all those people who don't make status in 2009, and would have earned bonus RDM from flying in February 2010.

Perhaps the reduced liabilities can be booked earlier, I'm not an accounting expert!

Guess this is what they mean by changing T&Cs of Mileage Plus at any time.
Old May 5, 2008, 6:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
It might also add revenue in November and December as people try to (re)qualify for elite status at the last minute. Having only January as a grace period is not enough time for most people, if you're aiming for 1P or 1K without a DEQM promotion.
Old May 5, 2008, 6:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by VA1379
It might also add revenue in November and December as people try to (re)qualify for elite status at the last minute. Having only January as a grace period is not enough time for most people, if you're aiming for 1P or 1K without a DEQM promotion.
I don't follow the logic. The qualification period - now - is Jan-Dec of each calendar year. Your status then lasts until the end of February.

If status terminates at the end of January it should have no effect on Nov/Dec since those are the last two months in which you can qualify for the next year's status in both situations.

Am I missing something here?
Old May 5, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Johnnie Walker Blue
I am not sure why this would matter - don't the flights actually have to occur by December 31 to get credit? I didn't realize you could fly in January and have the EQMs retroactively credited to the prior year.
Old May 5, 2008, 7:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by wnielsen1
I I didn't realize you could fly in January and have the EQMs retroactively credited to the prior year.
You can't.
Old May 5, 2008, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Have any other airlines changed their elite years? I know Marriott runs on the former United calendar where status would last through February of the following year.
When did Marriott get planes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.