Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
I stay close to the boarding door if I have upgraded (and thus get to use the red carpet). Otherwise I can never get up to the boarding lanes.

Picture gates C29-C32 at ORD. If you're not close to the door and they start boarding, it's an endless stream of "excuse me" and getting evil looks. Just not worth fighting your way through the crowd.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:45 pm

Perfect!

Gate Lice: What a perfect description! Though I have my 'credentials' I can't help but agree with the image of the typical too-frequent flyer: bluetooth, gold boarding pass, belly-over-belt, over-stuffed Tumi briefcase, Dell laptop, Bose headphones, bored expression, smug 'the-rules-you-follow-don't-apply-to-me' attitude along with a general indifference towards other passengers and staff.

What the great unwashed don't realize is the MP 'caste system' was created to remind all non-elites that their presence on board is tolerated but the airline is for the pleasure and convenience of their [elite card-holder] betters and don't forget it.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 1:02 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by pdx42
Gate Lice: What a perfect description! Though I have my 'credentials' I can't help but agree with the image of the typical too-frequent flyer: bluetooth, gold boarding pass, belly-over-belt, over-stuffed Tumi briefcase, Dell laptop, Bose headphones, bored expression, smug 'the-rules-you-follow-don't-apply-to-me' attitude along with a general indifference towards other passengers and staff.

What the great unwashed don't realize is the MP 'caste system' was created to remind all non-elites that their presence on board is tolerated but the airline is for the pleasure and convenience of their [elite card-holder] betters and don't forget it.
Again, a 1k gate lice is actually an oxymoron as the OP acknowledges. The proper definition of gate lice are general members who have higher zone boarding numbers but nonetheless line up or otherwise crowd the gate, blocking the way of those entitled to board earlier.

The proper term for what you describe is 'status monkey.'
Old Mar 27, 2008, 1:33 pm
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by pdx42
...What the great unwashed don't realize is the MP 'caste system' was created to remind all non-elites that their presence on board is tolerated but the airline is for the pleasure and convenience of their [elite card-holder] betters and don't forget it.
To be more precise it is now a three caste system with 1-3ps in the middle just above the untouchables.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gre
To be more precise it is now a three caste system with 1-3ps in the middle just above the untouchables.
So the stratification (based on status alone) is basically:

Lower class: GM
Lower-middle class: 3P
Middle-middle class: 2P
Upper-middle class: 1P
Lower-upper class: 1K
Upper-upper class: GS

Old Mar 27, 2008, 2:49 pm
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Something along those lines except that, now as I rethink the situation, I might put 3p in upper-lower class
Old Mar 27, 2008, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. The stratification is as follows:

Upper class: 1K, GS
Lower class: Everyone else

If you doubt that, try getting anything as a 1P.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I for one don't mind being in the upper class .
Old Mar 27, 2008, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I for one don't mind being in the upper class .
I for two don't mind being in the upper class.

Call me a Gate Lice, but I'm going down that Red Carpet Baby!
Old Mar 27, 2008, 4:51 pm

1p

Originally Posted by PTravel
No. The stratification is as follows:

Upper class: 1K, GS
Lower class: Everyone else

If you doubt that, try getting anything as a 1P.
Truth be told, I've been given operational upgrades internationally several times as a 1P. I'm not sure the benefits offered 1k's are worth earning an extra 50k.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

pdx, same here. I got more op-ups as 1P than I have at 1K. Go figure.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 5:50 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
It's nothing to do with being upper class or having your ego stroked. It has nothing to do with gate lice, just practicalities.

I always travel in 1B domestically, so that I don't have anyone reclining into my face, have adequate footroom, and an aisle seat. However, row 1 on A319/A320/B737/B757 has (a) no under-the-seat-in-front-of-you storage space and (b) no overhead storage space, so I always try to be first on in order to stow my carry-on overhead either above 1CD or 2AB.

If UA wouldn't reserve the overhead storage space above 1AB for oxygen and other equipment, I'd be very happy to stand back. But they won't. So I won't.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I believe it is an ego thing. UA is stroking our egos with the "red carpet" business, making us feel important. Some of us need that more than others.
I think some of "us" forget what the boarding process was like before the red carpet, and how GAs ignored their own announcements to board GS, F, and 1K first. The red carpet process is in a GA's face and harder for a GA to ignore. I earned a shot at the overhead space. If you don't want it, good, more for me.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Angeleno228
That's disturbing. Shouldn't a person eligible for the "red carpet" be able to board anytime he/she wishes? I thought that was the benefit of it. Sounds like the GA was making up his/her own rules.
I never let it get to that point ... I just open the red carpet lane.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Close.....

No class: No MP account
Low Class: GM
Lower class: GM w/EPA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.