Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:03 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Just witnessed a solo act on the red carpet last night...GRIN! LOL...

Good morning...I am always up for a great chuckle and internal laugh when at any airport gate...

So, last night...I was on UA 78 from HNL-SFO (925pm flight) and low and behold...I spotted her!!!!

At around a little before 830pm, this one woman, roughly early 50s promptly positioned herself at the very front of the famed red carpet. Yes....it's true, I promise!

It was hyspterical watching her try in vain to attract attention to herself; she had this silly scarf thing that she kept fussing with in hopes that people would notice her standing there.

I mean honestly....she actually stood there until they started boarding GS/1st class/1k @ around 855pm.

To boot, she kept turning around from her SOLO place on the threshold to see if anyone was watching/noticing her.

I was in stitches because it was so damn funny.

Alas, she boarded, took her seat in 1st on our beloved 777 and I am sure gave the FAs a grand time allowing them to serve her....

So, there I sat in my very comfy seat 16J that had leg room to die for. Also, seat guru says that there is no window-however I had a window for absolute viewing (if it were daylight---lol).

Cannot report as to what the snack in 1st was as I had a bloody mary and then took myself some sleep.

Flight time was quick , about 4h36min.

Ok...thanks for allowing me to share...

Mahalo nui loa,

Patrick
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by pallensf
Just witnessed a solo act on the red carpet last night...GRIN! LOL...
Sounds at least as entertaining as mimes or other street entertainers.

Thanks for sharing this vignette. ^

Cheers,
Fredd
Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
I found this cartoon funny and reminiscent of UA and this thread:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080416

The story arc starts here:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080407
Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:47 pm

Programs: Won Kay
This doesn't surprise me one bit, and I'm proud to say that at times I have been one.

I'd rather get there a little early and stand in line than try to fight my way through the crowd that forms once boarding actually starts.

I usually fly from IAD, LAX, and SFO and none of those terminals seem to have adequate space for the number of people who need to board.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:11 am

Not So Mysterious

...and some of us junt know we're going to be sitting for too long already, so why not stand? And if you're going to stand, what place could make more sense?
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qnetter
...and some of us junt know we're going to be sitting for too long already, so why not stand? And if you're going to stand, what place could make more sense?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, qnetter!^ I guess a lot of us just find the whole thing comical, not so much the fact that they're standing there a bit before, but that they line up 45 minutes before and camp out as if there's something at stake, gold boarding pass in the shirt pocket and bluetooth headsets on their head.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:35 am

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
If I'm in first, I don't board until about 20 minutes out on a jumbo and 15 on a 1 aisle. No point in getting there any earlier and I'm probably at the RCC. ^

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Welcome to FlyerTalk, qnetter!^ I guess a lot of us just find the whole thing comical, not so much the fact that they're standing there a bit before, but that they line up 45 minutes before and camp out as if there's something at stake, gold boarding pass in the shirt pocket and bluetooth headsets on their head.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Javan69
If I'm in first, I don't board until about 20 minutes out on a jumbo and 15 on a 1 aisle. No point in getting there any earlier and I'm probably at the RCC. ^
Precisely my strategy too. Unless I seriously think overhead bin space is an issue (which is very rarely is for me), I like to be the last aboard.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Precisely my strategy too. Unless I seriously think overhead bin space is an issue, I like to be the last aboard.
Not a bad strategy for Domestic, but a poor one for Int'l longhaul, IMO. Better to get on board, get settled with laptop, headset, newspapers, sleep aids and the like all whilst sipping a pre-departure cocktail -

than spending the extra time in a lousy RCC.

I feel differently when I'm leaving HKG, however!
Best, Dave
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:19 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by roadkit
I'd rather get there a little early and stand in line than try to fight my way through the crowd that forms once boarding actually starts...
But then you miss the pleasure of pushing through the crowd and saying, "Excuse me, I'm trying to get to the red carpet!"
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by qnetter
Welcome to FT, qnetter!

I have a different take on this...I actually wait at the RCC (if there is one) until about 40 minutes prior to boarding time, and then take a stroll over to the gate. I stand, but out of the way, and wait until I can board. I don't really care if I am the first to board, but I do like to board somewhat early....
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:41 pm

Programs: United 1k, American Executive Platinum, Hyatt - Diamond Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Maybe ppl who are lining up on the Red Carpet in advance are imagining themselves as if they were in Hollywood and walking down the Red Carpet. hehehhe

The plane isn't going anywhere, and if I have luggage to store overhead then I try to get line up reasonably ahead. But for the most part, I'll chill and walk around until boarding starts.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:07 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by bseller
Not a bad strategy for Domestic, but a poor one for Int'l longhaul, IMO. Better to get on board, get settled with laptop, headset, newspapers, sleep aids and the like all whilst sipping a pre-departure cocktail -

than spending the extra time in a lousy RCC.

I feel differently when I'm leaving HKG, however!
Best, Dave
I was going to say...the cocktail selection is vastly superior at the RCC! This IS UA International we are talking about here....
Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Correct. .....why not. The front of the red carpet is as good a place as any to wait and if you are going to be sitting on your butt for a few hours on the plane why not stand for a while.
Exactly! Many of us just sat all day in meetings anway.

This also beats having to slay your way past the true gate lice, 1&2P's who often baracade the elites from their rightful time to board.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by Javan69
^ Same strategy here! I just returned home on JFK-LAX last night...

Worked on my project in the RCC until 30 minutes before departure time. Tidied up my stuff and grabbed a drink of water before leaving. It was less than 20 minutes before departure when I got to the gate. By then all rows were called and there were only 3 people standing in the peasant lane. I went through there too, and got right onto the aircraft with no traffic in the jetway. No one saw my gold BP. Had good overhead bin space in C to stow my rollaway and a plastic bag of a baker's dozen of Ess-a-Bagels that I went out of my way to get in the morning. They had already come by with pre-departure drinks, so I picked up a glass of champagne myself from the galley and brought it back to my seat. They picked up my jacket a short time later. And later, the purser went from front to back, right to left, asking everyone for our first and second meal choices--none of that "I get to have that lousy airline entree first!" nonsense.

All was well that ended well. Both C and Y were sold out, but I really had a relaxed, unremarkable (irony ) pre-departure experience. I wouldn't've done this if I were flying Y though. Common sense says that when traveling in steerage, you should make good use the advantages afforded to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.