Wiki Posts
Search

Drink Chit Use in Flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Drink Chit Use in Flight

There has been quite a bit of talk on this scattered across several threads over the past couple of months, so I thought that I would relay my experience.

Two weeks ago I had to fly IAD to FRA on UA metal. I entered the IAD RCC and was immediately offered two RCC drink chits (grey paper chits) by the IAD RCC greeter. She had quite a line of people she was greeting. She addressed everybody by name after looking at their boarding pass and offered two chits to all. She did not hand them to you, but offered and if you accepted, she returned them with your BP. There was one gentleman in front of me who was flying with a coworker who asked for his co workers chits when she said that she did not want hers. The greeter simply handed him four chits.

The RCC was quite full, the bar tenders were doing their best to keep up with the flow of tickets and such. By the way, there were lots of the Blue perforated edge chits (1K kits) on the counter that people were using for drinks at the RCC bar.

There was another Uniformed UA representative wondering through the club handing out grey chits to those who had missed them at the door and were now trying to figure out how to get a drink. (There were lots of those)

I kept my grey chits and boarded a few hours later to FRA. Once airborne and during the drink service (in Y, my upgrade did not clear), I asked for a beer and handed my grey chit over and it was not even studied. My beer arrived immediately. Later in the flight, I stood up and walked back to the kitchen area and asked another FA for a beer, she came back with it and asked me for my $5 and I handed another grey chit over which was immediately accepted.

That is only one experience but service seemed to be the theme for this flight, not cross examining drink chit colors. YMMV

A side note, I was really surprised by the number of blue chits used in the RCC when there were grey chits for the asking through any number of the agents.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I'm new to chits....are the 1K chits "worth" more than the grey ones?
Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:43 pm

Programs: Affilated with the orders of I need to rest, doctor's orders!
Originally Posted by Paolo01
There has been quite a bit of talk on this scattered across several threads over the past couple of months, so I thought that I would relay my experience.

Two weeks ago I had to fly IAD to FRA on UA metal. I entered the IAD RCC and was immediately offered two RCC drink chits (grey paper chits) by the IAD RCC greeter. She had quite a line of people she was greeting. She addressed everybody by name after looking at their boarding pass and offered two chits to all. She did not hand them to you, but offered and if you accepted, she returned them with your BP. There was one gentleman in front of me who was flying with a coworker who asked for his co workers chits when she said that she did not want hers. The greeter simply handed him four chits.

The RCC was quite full, the bar tenders were doing their best to keep up with the flow of tickets and such. By the way, there were lots of the Blue perforated edge chits (1K kits) on the counter that people were using for drinks at the RCC bar.

There was another Uniformed UA representative wondering through the club handing out grey chits to those who had missed them at the door and were now trying to figure out how to get a drink. (There were lots of those)

I kept my grey chits and boarded a few hours later to FRA. Once airborne and during the drink service (in Y, my upgrade did not clear), I asked for a beer and handed my grey chit over and it was not even studied. My beer arrived immediately. Later in the flight, I stood up and walked back to the kitchen area and asked another FA for a beer, she came back with it and asked me for my $5 and I handed another grey chit over which was immediately accepted.

That is only one experience but service seemed to be the theme for this flight, not cross examining drink chit colors. YMMV

A side note, I was really surprised by the number of blue chits used in the RCC when there were grey chits for the asking through any number of the agents.
Is this a new service? I didn't know that UA accepted the RCC chits for inflight drinks?
Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, typically very easily interchangeable.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wouldn't surprise me that most FAs are too careless to observe.

On that note, I'd never give up a RCC cert since those tend to be more scarce than inflight ones. Then again, I don't really sit in Y...ever!
Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UNITED959
Wouldn't surprise me that most FAs are too careless to observe.

On that note, I'd never give up a RCC cert since those tend to be more scarce than inflight ones. Then again, I don't really sit in Y...ever!
Ha ha...there are a lot of us who "slum" in Y. I have had pretty good luck with upgrades, however, I had a very fast trip where I booked tix the day before flying. No way my 1P would clear in that case.

Anyway, lets not call the FA's careless about this. I mean, this is a true "nicety". The grey chits clearly say on them that they can be used in the RCC only. If the FA are nice enough to accept them inflight, lets not disparage them for their thoughtfulness. 1P's do not get the "in flight" chits so this is a genuine "nice to have" when it works on our departures from international gates. Also, the rate that they were flowing and being exchanged from blue ones, I saw a guy give a couple of blue chits in the RCC and get a grey one back when he did not need the last drink for a buddy. The bartender gave him a grey chit back. I pointed it out to him, but he did not care and just said thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:19 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Oh well; I just swapped a few in-flights for RCC's with a friend. Sounds like it might not have been necessary, but it only cost me a stamp.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:43 am

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
IRC the FAs have scanned images of what valid drink chits look like in their FAOMs. However, it's not like the difference between RCC and inflight chits are covered during Initial Service Training.

I wouldn't complain
Old Feb 22, 2008, 2:26 am

Please clarify

what "Blue perforated edge chits (1K kits)" are please someone?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 4:15 am

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Markieg
what "Blue perforated edge chits (1K kits)" are please someone?
I believe these are the new chits just arrived in 1K kits (i.e. those arriving with cards for 2008 status). Unlike past chits, these are printed on one large, folded sheet with perforations.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 6:06 am

Programs: HH Silver, Eurostar CarteBlanche
Thumbs down

Anyway, lets not call the FA's careless about this. I mean, this is a true "nicety". The grey chits clearly say on them that they can be used in the RCC only. If the FA are nice enough to accept them inflight, lets not disparage them for their thoughtfulness.
Paolo, You are correct, we are being nice.To me a free drink is a free drink, regardless of location. However, if anyone not allowed to use a chit inflight, they can thank United959s 'careless' comment for that. Some of you will complain whatever we do.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyway, lets not call the FA's careless about this.
It is carelessness, even though it may benefit you. They are not following the rules that, I'd imagine, could get them into trouble.

I mean, this is a true "nicety". The grey chits clearly say on them that they can be used in the RCC only. If the FA are nice enough to accept them inflight, lets not disparage them for their thoughtfulness.
I don't know about you, but it's been my experience that *most* UA FAs try to find every exception to the rule before granting a passenger's request.

I honestly believe the FAs are not doing you a favor, rather they are failing to read the appropriate usage of the coupon.

Frankly, I don't care if FAs accept used toilet paper in exchange for an alcoholic beverage. I'm just pointing out the very real possibility that this "niceity" is more of an error in the passenger's favor.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by GalleyGal
Paolo, You are correct, we are being nice.To me a free drink is a free drink, regardless of location. However, if anyone not allowed to use a chit inflight, they can thank United959s 'careless' comment for that. Some of you will complain whatever we do.
Thanks GalleyGal ... seems we can't win. Just more FA bashing.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not a complaint. I guess I'm just confused why a FA would risk their job over a $5 drink?

The certs look identical and I can see how the error can be made. If a FA consciously accepts a cert knowing it's being misused, then that's against their better judgment, there's no denying that.

I'm guessing there's a reason UA prints RCC certs and inflight certs. I'm also guessing UA wants their employees to follow their rules, that's all. In most companies when rules are not followed, there are penalties.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Yes, I am not sure what point he was trying to make, but I'd like to say once again, thank you for the very friendly "interpretation" of a drink chit.

The perforated edge chits were/are the valid "in flight" chits. They arrive in a standard letter sized sheet of durable paper and you simply pull the chit off. The sheet that I was given was a sheet of 10. I was gifted it by a UGS who had many sheets in her bag. I am not a 1K, so I have never received the 1K kit myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.