Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drink Chit Use in Flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2008, 7:57 pm

Programs: UAL 1P, Starwood / Marriott Gold
Who cares what chit you use? UA shouldn't. RCC and planes are catered with the same stuff down to the napkins, cups, prepackaged junk and I assume the wine comes from the same purveyor. I had the ORD RCC bartender reject my 1K perforated chit. Yes she was following the rules, but come on, $5 (chit value) is going to the same company, on the plane or in the RCC.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by OHare
Who cares what chit you use? UA shouldn't. RCC and planes are catered with the same stuff down to the napkins, cups, prepackaged junk and I assume the wine comes from the same purveyor. I had the ORD RCC bartender reject my 1K perforated chit. Yes she was following the rules, but come on, $5 (chit value) is going to the same company, on the plane or in the RCC.
Actually aren't the RCC bars outsourced? I don't drink the wine in the RCC's, it's pretty bad stuff, but I don't think it matches what's on board usually. There are certainly beers that don't match (e.g., Anchor in the SFO Int'l RCC) and whatever cheap bubbles they happen to have that day in the RCC doesn't match what's on board either.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Many posts in this thread have asked WHAT the chits look like -- well here you go:

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...e%202/4-22.jpg

I've been a 1K for 8 years and the 1K in-flight ones have always came to me in sheets of 10 - never bundles. A few of previous year's undated ones are shown above.

They are (legally) good for on board drinks. I never use them, they just end up in a drawer here.

The RCC ones used to be red ink and then blue ink writing on cruddy white paper, then they changed to the classy dark blue on gloss paper shown in row 2.

THEN a couple years back they changed to grey print on uncoated thin paper, looking like they'd been run off on the nearest Xerox machine - as you can see on pic above. They look appalling often times.

All are interchangeable at RCC's I've found .. I've even used the ancient red ones when I find them in an old wallet etc, as long as you tip the bartender.

Many years since I've travelled coach domestic, but reports from friends are the RCC blue ones especially are accepted pretty readily as for some time the 1K in flight ones looked nearly identical.

I accumulate heaps of the RCC ones, but oddly many 1Ks who do not fly It'l much, do not.

There has NEVER been an expiry date printed on any type of the RCC ones in the last 10 years anyway.

Last edited by ozstamps; Feb 25, 2008 at 10:29 pm
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, Star GLD, Hilton GLD, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by violist
An Asian lady was doing this at the D club yesterday, and I had to
point out that I wasn't entitled to one, as I was connecting to domestic.
"Teacher! You forgot to give us our homework!"
Old Feb 26, 2008, 4:02 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by shullyd
"Teacher! You forgot to give us our homework!"
Yup, that would be I.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
Has anyone been successful in using expired In-flight drink chits? I still have all 10 chits from last year that will expire in JUN 08.
I believe this is the first batch that has had an expiration date. I imagine the FAs will be glad to take them.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
^ thanks for the pics. I don't have any of the newer ones since dropping of the 1K planet.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MPVG
Really? A onboard drink chit from 1991?

On a flight yesterday the woman seated behind me orders a glass of wine and hands the FA a drink chit. He looks at the coupon for a moment and says, "I'm sorry, this an old style coupon. Do you have a newer one? They're much smaller." The woman says she has one, but it's buried in our purse. While she's searching, I glance back at the coupon. It's a bit larger than an RCC drink chit, with blue and red writing on it--like nothing I've ever seen.

It becomes clear that the woman can't find her other coupons, and the FA considers letting her use the expired one. As he goes to put it in his cart he turns it over. He then hands it back to the woman, saying, "I'm sorry, but this coupon expired in 1991, there's no way I can accept it." The woman ultimately gets her drink comped by the befuddled FA. 1991???
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Wow! I know it's touch and go with the 2010 expiry ones some of us still have, some FAs take 'em, some don't. However, with UDU and few RJ flights, I've pretty much given all my current ones away to servicemen and women I spot in the terminal. Awaiting the 2011 batch...
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:50 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
There were drink chits in the really olden days (before
I was 1k) that were I believe printed on the same stock
as the paper upgrade certificates, so they were quite big.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:18 am

I successfully used a 12/31/10 expired drink chit on a Jan. 2 flight -- at least for the first beverage service. For the second beverage service I tried to use another (non-expired) drink chit and the FA told me that the machine was broken and they couldn't process any payments for food or drinks so they wouldn't accept my chit
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
I used four drink chits that expired June 2010 on a couple of flights last month (December 2010). No one even looked at the dates.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
I recently ran across some that I had gotten about five years ago. As far as I can tell there is no expiration date. I figure once I use up my current ones I'll give these a try.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
It's been discussed before that you can use RCC drink certs onboard.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:47 pm

Programs: Car seems to be the mode of transport these days. I do not miss all the travel
Drink Chit Use in Flight

I think I have around 50 of the ones they used to give out in the RCC. Are they still good on the plane ? Tnx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.