Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drink Chit Use in Flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goes2Oz
I agree with you that it creates confusion and sets another crew up for failure. In no way do I engage in wholesale disregard for rules, nor would I advocate it ... I almost always follow them. But if I took a chit by mistake, would I go back and ask for money ... no. If I know someone is a 1K in Y class would I take it ... yes, but with a disclaimer of it not being routine. I fail to see how good intentions benefit me, and that is not my motivation. The intention is not to avoid conflict but to face it and resolve it, should it exist. To do otherwise IS the ultimate failure in customer service.
No issues from me regarding the situation you describe.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by Goes2Oz
... OK, UA fliers, do you want total rigid consistency? Or do you want some semblance of common sense?...
Common sense, please!!! ^
Thank you Goes2Oz and GalleyGal for helping spread some common sense throughout the UA system AND here on FT!
Old Feb 23, 2008, 1:10 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I have had 100% success rate with this.
My experience also. No questions ever asked, except on one occasion when the FA said "Well, technically we're not allowed to, but...." and took the chit in exchange for a BOB.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 1:55 am

Just a quick question for clarification. I've never had an "in flight" chit, but have several RCC chits. These are small paper coupons that are mostly blue on the front but have a grey edge stripe. They say "Good for one alcoholic beverage" on the blue part and "United, Red Carpet Club" on the grey. The back is white with a bar code.

Are these the same type that some of you have successfully used for drinks inflight?

I only use the RCC when taking an international flight. I get these when in the RCC prior to these flights, but rarely use them. It would be nice to be able to use them when flying domestic (always in coach on these flights).
Old Feb 23, 2008, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, that's what we're talking about.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 4:00 am

Let me start by saying I do not have elite status on any major airline (im in college) however I have studied the airline business from the top to bottom. If traveler can do a CAT III B autoland while on the phone to UGS and be .....ing about catering at the same time im down for a challenge.

I want to applaud Goes2Oz. For every 20 zombie employees you have one Goes2Oz. I dont have any specific proof but I would imagine alcahol is heavily audited. What Goes2Oz is doing as I think she or somone else said is creating goodwill. If you think goodwill is fluff I would suggest you check a financial statement. Obviously someone high up in UAL understands this and is not raising hell about it. Who is going to wear it at the end of the day when UAL doesnt have enough valid drink chits to equal what was given out, obviously mgmt. If mgmt had a problem with this it would have been addressed earlier. What takes the edge off being away from family and loved ones on a biz trip better than a free drink.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 4:07 am

Let me start by saying I do not have elite status on any major airline (im in college) however I have studied the airline business from the top to bottom. If traveler can do a CAT III B autoland while on the phone to UGS and be .....ing about catering at the same time im down for a challenge.

I want to applaud Goes2Oz. For every 20 zombie employees you have one Goes2Oz. I dont have any specific proof but I would imagine alcahol is heavily audited. What Goes2Oz is doing, as I think she or somone else said, is creating goodwill. If you think goodwill is fluff I would suggest you check a financial statement. Obviously someone high up in UAL understands this and is not raising hell about it. Who is going to wear it at the end of the day when UAL doesnt have enough valid drink chits to equal what was given out, obviously mgmt. If mgmt had a problem with this it would have been addressed earlier. What takes the edge off being away from family and loved ones on a biz trip better than a free drink.

I usually dont post and only read but what gets me heated is the people who are saying Let me start by saying that Goes2Oz's actions are creating inconsistency. If you believe this I have to say is you too are also a zombie. A drink costs what 5 bucks, jesus pay the 5 bucks. A lot of FA's might have a lot riding on the line if they mess up. Im all about gaming the system but also understand that its a crapshoot with the airlines. When have consistency and airlines ever gone together, if a certain FA doesnt accept the chit, such is life, now you need to wear it. A $100 change fee + $500 fare differnce sucks, but a $5 dollar drink, come on put it in perspective. You have three parties, the bean counting mgmt, the mediators (FA's) and you the customer. You need to look at it at all three sides. Also, realize right now every airline that is or is soon to be losing money is subsidizing your cheap travel.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 4:27 am

lol, FAs try to do the common sense thing and help the customer but the customers still complain.

No win situation.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cepheid
You must be a better charmer than I... I ask just the same way and every time except the one it worked, I get, "Sorry, we're not allowed to do that." Even when I point out that they can do the switcheroo so easily.
This is a perfect example of why following the rules is beneficial.

I'm often successful in swapping an inflight drink cert for a snackbox. Some crews won't do that, and I understand they're just following the rules. It's mildly annoying, but then I quickly remind myself that the other crews were doing favors, so I can't fault the crews that follow the rules.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:28 pm

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
Originally Posted by hsilbiger
I did not know that drink chits expired? I have used some very old drink chits, such as the ones that came with United Connection and some others whose source I don't remember. I've never had a problem with their acceptance.
I had a relative who worked for UA years ago and she gave me and my friends literally hundreds of coupons over the years, I still have quite a few but these are old, "like good for a movie or a drink" old. I'm curious if they are still good.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by ninerfan
I had a relative who worked for UA years ago and she gave me and my friends literally hundreds of coupons over the years, I still have quite a few but these are old, "like good for a movie or a drink" old. I'm curious if they are still good.

Yup

I have those too
Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:45 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by Paolo01
A post on this thread earlier commented on my statement that chits were being readily handed out by not just the UA RCC greeter, but another UA employee who was walking through the lounge.
An Asian lady was doing this at the D club yesterday, and I had to
point out that I wasn't entitled to one, as I was connecting to domestic.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:51 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by 1P
Not so. They've been on one large sheet with performations for years - at least since 2002 to my certain knowledge. They haven't always been blue, though. One year (2004?) they were a bronze-y color. The difference between the latest ones and pre-2007 chits is that they are dated
I recall them at one time having come as singles, bundled in packs with tape
like the currency they are. Perhaps at one time they had two separate
vendors? But then I've been 1K since the '90s, so my memories may be old.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by violist
An Asian lady was doing this at the D club yesterday, and I had to
point out that I wasn't entitled to one, as I was connecting to domestic.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by violist
I recall them at one time having come as singles, bundled in packs with tape
like the currency they are. Perhaps at one time they had two separate
vendors? But then I've been 1K since the '90s, so my memories may be old.
My first set came that way -- all the way back in Jan/Feb 2006. I still have most of those, and will have them long after the 2007 and 2008 ones have expired most likely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.