Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged]

Old Jan 9, 2008, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP

I am just passing through SYD on UA and (as usual) using the NZ Koru club lounge.

On entry they gave the usual spiel about not announcing UA flights. I thanked them and started heading for the bar when she added that they would be making announcements as of Feb 1st. Upon further conversation with her it turns out that the reason is that UA RCC is closing and all business is being transferred to NZ lounge. I believe she also said Air China and another airline I do not recall now (sorry ) were also being moved here so it will be come a BUSY lounge.

She was hoping NZ would staff accordingly; I was hoping that they would stock the Marlborough Sauv Blancs accordingly

Happy travels everyone

Lurker

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 5, 2010 at 10:30 am Reason: changed thread title
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:02 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
SYD's RCC was pretty decent. I liked the sandwiches.. they use the same ones you see in First/Business Class. She directed me to the "First International Lounge" but I found out later anybody could enter, but they did try to make it "special' for me though. The ruse quickly unravelled when more people started walking in. I didn't ask for it though, I was just happy to have a place to sit in.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wiggums
SYD's RCC was pretty decent. I liked the sandwiches.. SNIP
The view, showers, and free wifi from the NZ lounge are clinchers for me.

Lurker
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
Not good

I know a lot of people moan about the SYD RCC but fact remains that it is often very full. If all those folk now have to squeeze into the NZ and/or SQ lounges then I can't see it being very pleasant for anyone.

And who will process the upgrades now? Annie was always on top of everything. I'd hate to have to sit around the gate waiting to see if the UPG came through.

I'm flying out Jan 29 - looks like that will be my SYD RCC RIP visit.

Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Totally Agree BrisbanePE!

But I think that space issues and the lack of UA-specific support at the NZ lounge are going to be the only two down sides that I foresee. As you corectly point out, the SQ lounge is always an alternate option.

Lurker
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Royal Brunei was other airline to use the NZ lounge

Just chatted a little further with my "source" here at the NZ lounge and it turns out that the 2 additional airlines (beyond UA) to have access to th NZ lounge are Air China and Royal Brunei but she states that they have only 2 flights (each) per week.

Anyone know time and day for them?

Lurker
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
I guess this effectively completes UA's staff pull-out from SYD (and thus all of OZ?)

Wonder what the space will be used for?
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
I really cannot see why anyone would miss the SYD RCC (except for the UA specific support of late changes and UGs) - it is/was dismal. Very poor F&B selection, tatty furniture, and insufficient toilets. SQ and NZ are both better options.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Ok, according to their websites,

Royal Brunei flies Syd on M, Th, and F in at about 10 am and out at about 2:30pm

But it looks like Air China flies daily between SYD and Beijing; in at about 6:45 am and out at about 9pm.

Seems that 3 of those 4 will impact UA fliers.

Lurker
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
As I never use SYD RCC it being closed is no loss. But, the NZ lounge will be overcrowded when the 2/3 UA flights leave Especially on days when they are late and thus coincide with the evening NZ departures. I hope the NZ lounge will be expanding.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not that I ever use the RCC (over the NZ lounge), but w/ all the UA people packing into NZ, some of the allure will be lost.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by pschafer
I really cannot see why anyone would miss the SYD RCC
Same here. We only went there because we had to convert the fake boarding pass they gave us in AKL into a real one. Then we sprinted back to the SKL (and later to the Koru when they closed).
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
DL / CO will use the space once they get their 772LRs / 787s
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Is there an IFL in SYD for UA? Or do we just use NZ's or someone elses?
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:45 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
DL / CO will use the space once they get their 772LRs / 787s
And after the govt of OZ wants their flagged carrier to have open compeition.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.