Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2008, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by cssaus
I fully agree.

The RCC lounge in SYD is woeful, small, dark, and poor F&B as stated. The Air NZ lounge is far more inviting with a lot more space, a nice outlook and good food and driinks.

I'm surprised UA didn't close the SYD RCC ages ago and done us all a favour.
A favor until irregular ops hits and you're standing in line amidst the entire plane versus those in the RCC, or for those in F or with high status, being proactively taken care of the UA specific RCC folks.

As posts on FT indicate more and more irreg ops related to SYD, the RCC perhaps will be sorely missed if the UA lounge support is not retained.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 3:34 pm

Programs: Velocity Platinum, UA MM
Originally Posted by GoingAway
A favor until irregular ops hits and you're standing in line amidst the entire plane versus those in the RCC, or for those in F or with high status, being proactively taken care of the UA specific RCC folks.

As posts on FT indicate more and more irreg ops related to SYD, the RCC perhaps will be sorely missed if the UA lounge support is not retained.
From what I've experienced there's usually only the one person manning the SYD RCC and from an earlier post in this thread, wasn't able to really help with any reservation inquiries apart from providing a telephone #.

I suspect in an irregular ops situation out of Sydney that you describe, you're going to have to deal with the staff who are contracted to handle UA's interests.

Personally, if I was faced with an irregular op in SYD I'd be jumping on the phone to the UA service desk in the US or the 1K service desk in the US. I had to do this back in November for my wife who had her UA870 flt cancelled on her. I doubt very much if the single person manning the RCC would have coped. At least in the US, the RCC lounges are usually manned by at least 2 people and they are able to work the reservations systems .

Giving the present state of the SYD RCC, I really don't think closing it will be "mourned" by too many people. Of course the smart thing would be to have a "UA" person on duty in the Air NZ lounge when UA flts are scheduled but I wouldn't hold my breath for that happening.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I've had UA ticketing / check in for onward flights, change of reservation/upgrade requests, etc all handled at the RCC. I don't disagree that the space can go and not be missed, but it's the service that will lost that may not be acceptable. Then again, it's not clear if this is confirmed or what the plan actually is.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 4:08 pm

My bad then, ordguy79.

I personally havent been into the SYD RCC in years, always the NZ Lounge for me. Are there so many people that still use the RCC that would suddenly be pushed into the NZ lounge? I would've thought at least the experienced travellers would be in the Nz lounge already.

goodo
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:43 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
As I never use SYD RCC it being closed is no loss. But, the NZ lounge will be overcrowded when the 2/3 UA flights leave Especially on days when they are late and thus coincide with the evening NZ departures. I hope the NZ lounge will be expanding.
Yep 3 UA flights, the AC flight, NZ flights, Thai flight and VS flight

Crowded indeed!!!

You mention the NZ lounge closes in the middle of the day ? What times ?
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Three words: another service cutback.
No it's called a "Service Enhancement"
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cssaus
The RCC lounge in SYD is woeful, small, dark, and poor F&B as stated.
Not my recollection at all (other than spartan F&B). MEL RCC is much smaller.

The Air NZ lounge is far more inviting with a lot more space, a nice outlook and good food and driinks.

I'm surprised UA didn't close the SYD RCC ages ago and done us all a favour.
This is a disappointment as UA RCCs are accomodating of a family with only 2 1Ps (or occasionally only 1 1P ) and the others will be by the book.

I don't understand why you cheer FEWER options. Let us lower-fare *G folk slum it up in the RCC and enjoy your NZ lounge.

Lastly as to earlier question posed why fly UA into/out Australia? E+ and family-friendly. And Mileage Plus. And the ground game on both ends.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

This is a disappointment as UA RCCs are accomodating of a family with only 2 1Ps (or occasionally only 1 1P ) and the others will be by the book.

I don't understand why you cheer FEWER options. Let us lower-fare *G folk slum it up in the RCC and enjoy your NZ lounge.

Lastly as to earlier question posed why fly UA into/out Australia? E+ and family-friendly. And Mileage Plus. And the ground game on both ends.
What on earth do you mean by "family friendly"? You mean they won't adhear to lounge admission rules? They'll cheat so you can steal extra lounge access? Then they should be re-trained to prevent extra guests.

The UA RCC is a tiny dump. Don't know what you're talking about.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
What on earth do you mean by "family friendly"?
Meals, drinks, stroller accomodation, things like that in airports and on-board. Versus QF or NZ (direct competition on these routes, NZ via AKL) UA is much more friendly in these areas. I've flown all three.

You mean they won't adhear to lounge admission rules? They'll cheat so you can steal extra lounge access? Then they should be re-trained to prevent extra guests.
According to their RCC rules:

Originally Posted by United.com
Member guest limit for Clubs in the United States is two, or spouse and dependent children. Member guest limit in Clubs outside the United States is one, or spouse and dependent children.
Now this is on the RCC membership page, while the *A lounge page is silent on this. So I don't view this as "stealing" per se. Besides, if it's such a dump, what is there to steal?

The UA RCC is a tiny dump. Don't know what you're talking about.
SYD RCC > MEL RCC. That's all I'm sayin'
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:46 am

I am wondering if the UA staff that sit at the RCC will be transferred to the NZ Lounge - I remember this was the situation in Auckland before they left.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 2:00 am

Another day another sad day in the story of UA.

I used to be so proud travelling on UA from Australia, from the nice lounge to the nice 744, now I would be ashamed to be seen flying them!

Wouldn't be surprised to see UA pull out of the SYD-LAX/SFO market in the next 12-36 months

Jetstar - Will pull alot of budget travellers from UA that generally fly UA because they have cheap Y seats. Jetstar will have brand new 787's with seat back TV's in Y along with a nice Premium Economy cabin!

V Australia - Will have a HUGE Premium Economy cabin 75 seats in fact and will pull a few more people from UA and also from NZ

Qantas - Will have the A380 on this route and their first, business, premium economy will be better than NZ & UA. Will pull even more people from UA and some from NZ

NZ - 2010/2011 will see their 777-300ER's and 787's operating with new interiors and new routes. Again passengers will be pulled from UA mainly. UA will just be finishing their interior upgrades but still no seat back TV's in Y

Would be very interested to know UA's long term plans for SYD, yes I know they currently have 3/4 flights a day out of SYD and loads are quite good, but I am talking about a few years down the track!

I wish UA all the best for the future and hope they get their act together eventually
Old Jan 11, 2008, 2:06 am

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

Each *G gets 1 guest, so they aren't bending any rules by letting 2 1Ps in with 2 kids. RCC membership gets you and your family in irrespective of status
Old Jan 11, 2008, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by AndDee
Another day another sad day in the story of UA.

I used to be so proud travelling on UA from Australia, from the nice lounge to the nice 744, now I would be ashamed to be seen flying them!

Wouldn't be surprised to see UA pull out of the SYD-LAX/SFO market in the next 12-36 months

Jetstar - Will pull alot of budget travellers from UA that generally fly UA because they have cheap Y seats. Jetstar will have brand new 787's with seat back TV's in Y along with a nice Premium Economy cabin!

V Australia - Will have a HUGE Premium Economy cabin 75 seats in fact and will pull a few more people from UA and also from NZ

Qantas - Will have the A380 on this route and their first, business, premium economy will be better than NZ & UA. Will pull even more people from UA and some from NZ

NZ - 2010/2011 will see their 777-300ER's and 787's operating with new interiors and new routes. Again passengers will be pulled from UA mainly. UA will just be finishing their interior upgrades but still no seat back TV's in Y

Would be very interested to know UA's long term plans for SYD, yes I know they currently have 3/4 flights a day out of SYD and loads are quite good, but I am talking about a few years down the track!

I wish UA all the best for the future and hope they get their act together eventually
Yes, I know where you are coming from and it's very sad.

However, we all have to move on, so just give UA the flick. It won't be hard with their ridiculous prices.

Best of luck anyway...
Old Jan 11, 2008, 3:02 am

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by qasr
Believe it or not, I was passing through SYD today!

Wasn't flying UA, but dropped into the RCC to check up on this. It was Annie's day off, but I asked one of the other UA staff members there. She said it was still rumour and that they weren't sure since there's been no official word yet. I enquired about Annie and apparently she's been supervising checkin and they predict she'll stay there doing that. No word on if there would be a UA presence in the NZ lounge, but I wouldn't count on it!
Thanks qasr. I guess we still need to wait for the official word.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 3:30 am

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The only time I tried to use this lounge was this past Sunday, flying back to SFO. I went in to have my BMI # added in, and all I got was snapped at by the agent. After getting the I'm-doing-you-a-favor attitude that I've come to expect from UA agents, I had no desire to even peak inside or stay there for a second. Of course, even adding a blasted FF # was done incorrectly, and the miles posted to the UA account instead of BD.

This will not bode well for the quality of the NZ lounge. It will get really packed. In the morning, there's also a KE flight that leaves around the time of the MEL leg, so its crowded.

I wonder if they'll do a switcharoo ala at LAX for AF and VS, whereby the food gets noticeably better after the rif-raf leaves? It seems that least at SYD, the other airlines are willing to pay for the good stuff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.