Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:53 pm

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, Go Zags!
No-brainer

The Koru Club in Sydney is far superior to the RCC IMHO. It is spacious with wonderful window views of Botany Bay (??) as compared to the closet they call the RCC in the corner of the basement. Annie was outstanding, but the facility was pathetic. I have been using the Koru Club for the last year or so, ejoying the showers, the spaciousness, and the free wifi. I even checked out the SQ lounge this last time down. While the food was superb, the space as cramped like the RCC.

If they did do a subcontract with AirNZ, it makes perfect sense, far better product than the current UA RCC, IMHO...
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by river_rower
The Koru Club in Sydney is far superior to the RCC IMHO. It is spacious with wonderful window views of Botany Bay (??) as compared to the closet they call the RCC in the corner of the basement. Annie was outstanding, but the facility was pathetic. I have been using the Koru Club for the last year or so, ejoying the showers, the spaciousness, and the free wifi. I even checked out the SQ lounge this last time down. While the food was superb, the space as cramped like the RCC.

If they did do a subcontract with AirNZ, it makes perfect sense, far better product than the current UA RCC, IMHO...
Haven't been to the Koru in SYD but when UA flew out of AKL they used that lounge. Maybe UA had staff there with UA's reservation terminals, not sure. Perhaps that will happen in SYD if there's a long-term arrangement?
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
Originally Posted by river_rower
The Koru Club in Sydney is far superior to the RCC IMHO. It is spacious
How spacious is it going to be after the customers of the full RCC are dumped into it?

Seriously you may not miss the RCC facilities, but unless the NZ lounge can absorb its contents, then you will definitely feel its loss.

Weren't there issues with the NZ lounge not always being open at the right times for UA flights? Or is that the SQ lounge?
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blueman2
Is there an IFL in SYD for UA? Or do we just use NZ's or someone elses?
There is/was a UA IFL in SYD. IMHO, the regular NZ lounge was nicer than the UA IFL.

I don't recall a special F area in the NZ lounge.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UNITED959

I don't recall a special F area in the NZ lounge.
As you go in the door and turn left to go into the lounge, isn't there an F area there on the right as you walk down that corridor?
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Originally Posted by flyinbob
As you go in the door and turn left to go into the lounge, isn't there an F area there on the right as you walk down that corridor?
It's there but has been closed now for some time. TG used to use it. I wonder now if NZ will reopen it (of course those in first can still use the SQ lounge )

I too think this is a bad move from my perspective. Like most FT'ers i've used the NZ lounge anyway and now it will simply become more crowded (although I think there's actually plenty of space around the time the UA flights depart)

Jeff
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by jswong
..of course those in first can still use the SQ lounge ..

Jeff
What is the SQ IFL like? Or is the NZ lounge better. I hear great things about NZ lounge.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Plat, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Question Closeville?

Is it me or is United closing everything? Every day I come on here something is being removed...

- Reducing flights from various cities
- Pulling out of cities entirely
- RCC reducing hours or closing in various places
- etc.

I know they have to run a business, but is there strategy to retrench right now? Am I over-reacting? Are they growing and expanding in some places to offset all of these closings?
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by jswong
(although I think there's actually plenty of space around the time the UA flights depart)
... when UA is on time

At least NZ lounge now won't be shutting for a period in the middle of the day. Will now give me a dilemma whether or not to continue heading to the other pier and the QF F lounge (was a no brainer when NZ lounge was closed).
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:49 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
It'll be interesting if they'll allow UA RCC members access as well as anyone with a C or F BP, or if you have to still be *G to get in - just because NZ is going to start making announcements for UA flights doesn't necessarily mean the NZ lounge is opening its doors to RCC members. They may just be preparing for the inevitable increase in pax given that the RCC is closing.

- T
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Not really a big deal. The staff was great, though.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by TonySCV
It'll be interesting if they'll allow UA RCC members access as well as anyone with a C or F BP, or if you have to still be *G to get in - just because NZ is going to start making announcements for UA flights doesn't necessarily mean the NZ lounge is opening its doors to RCC members. They may just be preparing for the inevitable increase in pax given that the RCC is closing.

- T
Paid RCC members can access any NZ lounge when departing same day on a *A flight.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
I have to say that whenever I have been in the NZ lounge (and it's been many times), it has never been more than about 25% full, usually only 5-10% full.

So having a few more guests might actually liven the place up, from its mausoleum status.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:03 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Paid RCC members can access any NZ lounge when departing same day on a *A flight.
They can? That's news to me. RCC member cards aren't *G cards. Does NZ have a special agreement with UA?

I thought you had to be *G (1P, 1K or GS) with a *A BP to gain access to the NZ *A lounge if traveling on a *A flight.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Silver
Originally Posted by TonySCV
They can? That's news to me. RCC member cards aren't *G cards. Does NZ have a special agreement with UA?

I thought you had to be *G (1P, 1K or GS) with a *A BP to gain access to the NZ *A lounge if traveling on a *A flight.
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,1360,3113,00.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.